Peter Swan

Cant believe they even bothered to ask him, he has based his article on watching football on tv, he hasnt played for nearly 40 years

Yes but look who the reporter is.........our old mate from boardroom times

Really I thought Swanny played quite a while and Bronco played as well

I remember all the hype

Werent we 3rd Divison at the time?

My memory..........I can never remember. They all seem to merge together

Division 2, 72-73 season

Looks like Hillsborough but yet it does not.

Peter+Swan.jpg

It's Hampden Park

You are probably going to hate me for this but I can't forget my English lessons. Not many people use the correct spelling but it's not actually "slated" it's "sleighted". It's a word that means "severely damaged or destroyed" and was what the Commonwealth government did to ex-royalist castles after the English Civil War (the 1642 to 1648 one).

Bless you

HRH Wendy

Including Sheffield Castle.

it's too early for me to be able to remember the ipswich game, and (obviously) i wasn't there...

but since learning of lillee and marsh's bet against the aussies, i look now at the highlight's and think is dennis banging it in a bit short and too much outside the off stump...it creates doubt in the mind of was it 100% effort...

i was at the game when swan came back, i didn't applaud or cheer (and couldn't understand those that did) as this man (and others) had worn our shirt, yet bet against us...

if he wasn't paid much (and yet i'm being told he was paid less than miners [you can't call the colliery manager a miner])...

then as the best centre half in the land, there'd be a lot paid less than him...

i'll not cast the first stone, but i'll not champion him either, he did what he chose to do, and stood the consequences...

if he was as good as some say, what a waste... 

difficult to know where i stand on swan and layne .they are 2 of the greatest players i've seen watching wednesday and remember them fondly BUT  if i travelled down to ipswich and say buxton and antonio had been paid to lose the game i dont think i'd want them wearing the blue and white ever again .

I don't think that is what happened, if you are saying that Swan, Layne and co were paid to loose it you are off the mark.

It was a small bet on the game and a stupid mistake for which they did not get away with, while many others did. 

I don't think that is what happened, if you are saying that Swan, Layne and co were paid to loose it you are off the mark.

It was a small bet on the game and a stupid mistake for which they did not get away with, while many others did. 

they were found guilty of fixing a football match and went to prison along with others.swan says he didnt throw the game but then he would wouldnt he .i'm not sure if you know what happened ,you couldnt bet on single games back then and the bet involved 2 other teams losing for them to get a pay out which is what happened .....it was a fix mate no 2 ways about it .