Peter Swan

Used to run 'The Mill' on brimington road, chesterfield. Just off the big roundabout at end of dronny bypass. Think his son runs it now.

The old man is usually still around but has been ill over the past year or so and is struggling with alzheimers. The pub has some interesting memorabilia on the walls including signed England shirts, caps & programmes. Def. worth a pint and look around. Nice sat nxt to the canal (weather permitting) also.

He still can remember anything to do with football from 40 odd years ago!

Can't really comment on the fixing thing other than Many top proffesionals earned less than the men working down the pit could earn. And I wouldn't hang one of them to dry for 50 years for knicking a bag of coal, or taking a nap during the night shift.

leave Reading Owl out of this...lol

I dont think theres any doubt he would have been Englands centre half. He was probably as good as Bobby Moore.

He was stupid to do what he did. I very much doubt if he and Kay and Layne were on their own. The rumours were that most players were up to it.

Anyway, he did it, he paid the price

I remember his comeback. Him and Bronco Layne. Swanny played for a while but Bronco soon disappeared.

Bronco Layne didn't come back. He trained and may have played a reserve game, but he never got anywhere near the first team. Swannie's return game was at Hillsborough against Fulham. He'd slowed down but was immaculate, played a few games and then went to Bury, where he was their player of the season.

Bronco Layne didn't come back. He trained and may have played a reserve game, but he never got anywhere near the first team. Swannie's return game was at Hillsborough against Fulham. He'd slowed down but was immaculate, played a few games and then went to Bury, where he was their player of the season.

David Layne played a few games for Hereford i beleieve and helped them get promoted

lets put this in perspective...

Swannie is one of the best centre halfs this club has ever had

Bronco is one of THE best centre forwards ( thats strikers to you young uns ) that we have ever had

and Tony Kay would have kept Alan Ball out of the world cup winners team...it was a flipping tragedy

Really I thought Swanny played quite a while and Bronco played as well

I remember all the hype

Werent we 3rd Divison at the time?

My memory..........I can never remember. They all seem to merge together

After his ban was lifted, Peter Swan's first game back was at home to Fulham in the old Division Two (now the Championship), Wednesday winning 3-0. The match was on August 12th 1972. Peter went on to play 13 games with his final appearance being on November 11th 1972, at home to Oxford United.

Those who now criticise Peter should remember that players back in the Sixties were poorly paid in comparison with the ridiculous amounts paid today. Peter readily admits he made a huge mistake - please read his book to get the truth. Wednesday as a team were devastated at the time, losing England's centre half as well as the best centre forward I have ever seen in the blue and white - yes, David Layne was very special indeed, and absolutely terrified United when he played against them. He played 81 games and scored 58 goals for Wednesday, how can you replace someone like that? All very sad. Best wishes to Swanny and to Johnny Fantham, another legend, both struck down with an awful illness.

Guest PrincessWendy

The photograph of Swanny and Ron Springett (the greatest ever Wednesday goalkeeper) is them playing for England against Scotland at Hampden Park in 1962.

Let's defer to George on that one!

Bless you

HRH Wendy

difficult to know where i stand on swan and layne .they are 2 of the greatest players i've seen watching wednesday and remember them fondly BUT  if i travelled down to ipswich and say buxton and antonio had been paid to lose the game i dont think i'd want them wearing the blue and white ever again .

A long way before my time but my dad said he was the best centre half to play for Wednesday.

How many other Wednesday centre halves have played for England?

To those who are slating him... you have to remember that footballer's didn't earn big money back then and the temptation would have been a lot higher than today

Guest PrincessWendy

A long way before my time but my dad said he was the best centre half to play for Wednesday.

How many other Wednesday centre halves have played for England?

To those who are slating him... you have to remember that footballer's didn't earn big money back then and the temptation would have been a lot higher than today

You are probably going to hate me for this but I can't forget my English lessons. Not many people use the correct spelling but it's not actually "slated" it's "sleighted". It's a word that means "severely damaged or destroyed" and was what the Commonwealth government did to ex-royalist castles after the English Civil War (the 1642 to 1648 one).

Bless you

HRH Wendy

Edited by PrincessWendy