Peter Swan

I`m old enough to remember. I was devastated at the time. As a young kid I used to roll the top of my football shorts over and over, until the crotch crushed my nuts, just so I could play in my "Swanny shorts".

Ha ha 😳😳😳

You are just a young bloke that does not understand, no i make a lot of mistakes but I dont represent me club and country then cheat.

Wind your kneck in.

I was a thirteen year old and yes i was there, your point?

Not memorable.

How many players have you seen at Hillsborough run onto the

pitch on his own at the start of the match and receive applause

like that.

Never forget it.

Certainly. It did blacken the name of our club and ruin the careers of some high profile players. Would the same punishment be given today I doubt it there were other involved but the high profile ones paid a heavy price. Peter was the one who came back to help the club though when the ban was lifted he could have gone elsewhere but he always loved Wednesday. The club have obviously forgiven him as we saw when he came onto the pitch a few seasons ago. He was given a good reception by the fans as well.

Well yes but to forgive is not to forget, my blood runs blue and white and i also have a memory to allow plenty of humbleness, i love my club but we have plenty of scars, let' s not forget.

A certain Sunday brought out the story, the whistle blower was a bloke called Gould as I remember. Lots of clubs and players were going to be named the following week but there were no other clubs named and no other players. Gould was obviously got at having just named Swann, Kay and Layne they carried the can for for a bigger gravy train but football then, as now...Closed ranks and paid the divi.

Wind your kneck in.

Not memorable.

How many players have you seen at Hillsborough run onto the

pitch on his own at the start of the match and receive applause

like that.

Never forget it.

Where are you going with this drewjess don't try and glorify cheating ffs! Edited by OzOwl

Don't think he's in a position to comment on todays footballers anymore than we are. He was stupid but no excuse for betting on your own team to lose but how players can allegedly do it in todays era of massive wages is beyond belief.

Well yes but to forgive is not to forget, my blood runs blue and white and i also have a memory to allow plenty of humbleness, i love my club but we have plenty of scars, let' s not forget.

I'm the same mate. I know him as a gentleman though, he gave a me a Wednesday shirt as a kid and I can only thank him for getting me on the roller coaster that is Sheffield Wednesday. A with all things Wednesday we always seem to c0ck it all up when we were near the top and this episode is one of many lows in our clubs history. UTO. 

Edited by captowl

from the piccy in the article, it looks like ron springett knew something was amiss...

he didn't trust swan to clear it....

my input...

if you play for another club, and cheat and do us down :- l**ds, sheff u, yeovil, brighton and the likes, you're scum...

but, i expect it...

i never expect it, from someone in a blue and white striped shirt...

anyone remember the TV film 'The Fix' about the events - Watched it being filmed on Howard Street - had a drink in the Globe and Steve Cougan walked in with the film crew.

our old man reckons Swan was the best centre half he'd ever seen

Guest eastbank

sad really...big jack would not have got a cap if swanny had not been stupid.....they paid the price for a few hundred quid....don't think it was only wednesday that were at it.....

but football closed ranks....

I didn't condone it at the time nor do I now but my thoughts then were something like - if they'd won they just loss their stake which was as little as five or ten quid, if they lost anyway they got the fifty quid which would soften the blow of losing. As Swan said they didn't actually throw it, but they lost anyway. Having said that I can understand anyone saying you should never bet on yourself to lose, although remember Lilley and Thomson both bet on Australia to lose the 1981 Botham/Willis Test Match albeit from a seemingly impregnable position but nevetheless... and they did keep feeding the helmet less Botham bouncers which he kept despatching into the crowd.

Hi Plymstock,  I agree with your usual balanced vIew. He visits a pal of mine in Devon and was a P.T.I. with him in the Army. They tell a good tale.

His pub is in the book, by the canal in Chesi.              I used to sit on the wall at the training ground and watch em all. HAPPY DAYS.  

Hi buddy, we are going to Buxton for the weekend in April so might have a look. Like I said in my post I thought his book was really good and left me thinking how sad it all was (compared to Best's where I thought what a to$$er!). I'll reply to your PM later and fill you in on the move and that later mate.

Used to run 'The Mill' on brimington road, chesterfield. Just off the big roundabout at end of dronny bypass. Think his son runs it now.

The old man is usually still around but has been ill over the past year or so and is struggling with alzheimers. The pub has some interesting memorabilia on the walls including signed England shirts, caps & programmes. Def. worth a pint and look around. Nice sat nxt to the canal (weather permitting) also.

He still can remember anything to do with football from 40 odd years ago!

Can't really comment on the fixing thing other than Many top proffesionals earned less than the men working down the pit could earn. And I wouldn't hang one of them to dry for 50 years for knicking a bag of coal, or taking a nap during the night shift.

A certain Sunday brought out the story, the whistle blower was a bloke called Gould as I remember. Lots of clubs and players were going to be named the following week but there were no other clubs named and no other players. Gould was obviously got at having just named Swann, Kay and Layne they carried the can for for a bigger gravy train but football then, as now...Closed ranks and paid the divi.

yer wrong nev there was 10 players jailed from various clubs  mansfield ,bristol rovers ,hartlepool its just that swan ,layne and kay were the high profile ones . jimmy gauld who set it all up was sent down for 5 years .