Peter Swan

Think Peter Swan has paid a high price for what he did 50 years ago. Maybe even cost him being part of World Cup winning team in 1966. Dont see any need for anyone to have a go at him on here.

I dont think theres any doubt he would have been Englands centre half. He was probably as good as Bobby Moore.

He was stupid to do what he did. I very much doubt if he and Kay and Layne were on their own. The rumours were that most players were up to it.

Anyway, he did it, he paid the price

I remember his comeback. Him and Bronco Layne. Swanny played for a while but Bronco soon disappeared.

Would have loved to see him play, my old man used to say he was one of the best players we've ever had. I read his book a few years ago and felt sorry for the bloke, if it had happened 20 years later no one would have cared.

Betting by players was rife through the 80s and now you can bet on any part of the game online why is anyone shocked at this. I have always thought referees should have to answer to both team managers and a FA official after each game and explain their decisions. I think the dodgy decisions by referees are more down to incompetence/mistakes rather than being corrupt.

anyone know the name of his pub and where it is? It's probably in the book but can't remember!

Hi Plymstock,  I agree with your usual balanced vIew. He visits a pal of mine in Devon and was a P.T.I. with him in the Army. They tell a good tale.

His pub is in the book, by the canal in Chesi.              I used to sit on the wall at the training ground and watch em all. HAPPY DAYS.  

I give up ! You can't come on this forum and have an opinion with out being slagged off or insulted !

Nobody has slagged you off, or insulted you, as far as I can see. Other posters have opinions too. You obviously take offence if they don`t agree with yours.

Forums are there for you and everyone else to post their opinions on an issue. That`s all that`s happening here.

I dont think theres any doubt he would have been Englands centre half. He was probably as good as Bobby Moore.

He was stupid to do what he did. I very much doubt if he and Kay and Layne were on their own. The rumours were that most players were up to it.

I remember his comeback. Him and Bronco Layne. Swanny played for a while but Bronco soon disappeared.

The bit that realy hurt him I think, was the F.A. taking action against him, long after, for helping the youngsters training in the local park.

That was just vindictive and mean.

It is slightly before my time. What sort of reception did Peter Swann get on his return?

Bet your not even old enough to even remember him.

Genuine nice bloke who made a mistake.

You mr perfect are you?.

You are just a young bloke that does not understand, no i make a lot of mistakes but I dont represent me club and country then cheat.

Yes you are right i withdraw the remark now can we debate the disgrace brought upon our club?

Certainly. It did blacken the name of our club and ruin the careers of some high profile players. Would the same punishment be given today I doubt it there were other involved but the high profile ones paid a heavy price. Peter was the one who came back to help the club though when the ban was lifted he could have gone elsewhere but he always loved Wednesday. The club have obviously forgiven him as we saw when he came onto the pitch a few seasons ago. He was given a good reception by the fans as well.

Bet your not even old enough to even remember him.

Genuine nice bloke who made a mistake.

You mr perfect are you?.

I`m old enough to remember. I was devastated at the time. As a young kid I used to roll the top of my football shorts over and over, until the crotch crushed my nuts, just so I could play in my "Swanny shorts".