The Hoofball Myth

No one notice that, whenever Lliera was making clearances with his head, he was trying to head it sideways to one of the backs, and doing so effectively? I've said for a long time that one of Wednesday's faults harks back to Irvine's era - that of playiong the ball in the air in he back and centre of the field. We are much more effective when we move the ball on the groung, particularly shown by Coke's long cross ball.  

Why take twenty passes to find your forward if you can do it in one? There seems to be some footballing snobs out there at the moment that believe they are going to be the next Barcelona and don't like it when their opponents "give it to em". Play to your strengths and if that means putting the ball behind their defence causing defenders to turn and face their own goal then do it. Thats what led to Barnes sending off as he was outmuscled by Lee who had got the better of him. Concentrate on your own game as you can't dictate or control how your opponents are going to play.

I am probably the fiercest critic on here when it comes to playing hoofball. Quite simply, it's that type of football that has held us back as a footballing nation and I embrace the trend towards a more technically adept passing style. However, there is plenty of scope within that to be more direct if that is what's needed. Even Barcelona go more long this season. We are not hoofball, even under the dreaded Megson I don't think it was as bad as I feared or some made out. You want your players to be comfortable on the ball but also maintaining a high work rate enabling you to press the opposition when you don't have the ball.

Without exception Llera just banged it forward as hard as he could every time on Saturday and the Brighton fans shouted "Hoooooofffff' every time at him

lol

Yep

It was Madine - he played some right football on Saturday

Two amazing throughballs/passes to Lita that set up chances for us

Madine - best passer of a ball we've got

So were you polishing the bands trumpets when Llera strode out majestically to halfway and laid a pass off in the 2nd half ...........that would be an "exception" . Are you a Llera hater ?

It is hoof ball when we panic, no creative midfield player so easy option to launch it. A little brain power at times and a ball down the channels would be more effective, though we seem to have various styles at different times which is good, just annoying when we hoof it and panic