The Hoofball Myth

Wouldn't have hurt Buxton to hoof it rather than tap it straight to Brighton player to score.

And it's most definitely a myth, watch all the games back (especially the Hull game) on player to see most of our play going forward is through neat interchanges down the flanks.

i think a lot of managers and fans get the "hoof ball" simply from when we clear the ball from defence?

i dont get the hoofball nonsense neither - we've been playing some cracking football in the last couple of years - bemuses me from the likes of the grunters saying we play hoofball then watching them, thats all they bloody did!

We do play it direct and let's be honest, there is a bit of 'hoof' there.

It's not 'hoof' in the sense that we launch it straight into the opponent's penalty area and hope for the best, but we rarely try to play our way into the middle-third of the pitch. It's normally played long into the area between the final third and middle third, and then trying to pick up the second ball from there.

Guest Triplej2

As others have said, it's a mix of everything. Quite functional rather than pretty but I really enjoyed Saturday and I really enjoyed Hull and Wolves (apart from the result)

I think if we had a true quality midfield general we'd be looking like a very handy side.

We were very direct on Saturday. Lita clearly wasn't used to that style, as shown in the comedy timing of some of his jumps

Don't think it was a timing issue its just a different method of trying to retain possession. More effective sometimes for the shorter forward against tAller defenders to try and put the defender off by getting in his line of sight of the ball and then look for the rebound.

Graeme sharp used to do it for Everton and lita did it pretty well on Saturday.

Guest JonTheOwl66
Very poor clearance attempt.

Why didn't he use his right foot and hoof it towards the triangle??

Hard to criticise Buxton thobugh, he is normally Mr consistent.

Because it came quickly at his left foot....?

Yes- we do play hoofball.  Very much in evidence against Brighton, cos they like to play on the ground.

But we've tried the other way and it hasn't worked.  So I'm happy if we stick with the kick and run. At least it seems to work for us, and it's exciting in an old-fashioned English way.  That's how we played under Jack Charlton and Howard Wilkinson.

Yes- we do play hoofball.  Very much in evidence against Brighton, cos they like to play on the ground.

But we've tried the other way and it hasn't worked.  So I'm happy if we stick with the kick and run. At least it seems to work for us, and it's exciting in an old-fashioned English way.  That's how we played under Jack Charlton and Howard Wilkinson.

+1

I feel it's an easy label to stick onto a team that is strong and willing to use their strength to an advantage.

Charlton Fan A: "How the chaff did we lose that one chap?"

Charlton Fan B: "It's those centre-halfs I tell ya they are right dirty Northeners"

Charlton Fan A: "Yeah good point, always bloody hoofballing it"

The old Wimbledon Crazy Gang were always labelled with the tag, but if you actually watched them regularly it was an unfair assessment. But, this worked into their hands. When the opposition believes the hype, you have an advantage. Basset and Bobby Gould used to love this tag, because it took away from them the fact that they did actually have a game plan and they were very effective at countering teams. They climbed the leagues and won an FA Cup on the back of being wrongly labelled as hoofers. Yes, they would occasionally hoof it but that can be said for ANY team in the world. It is all about perceptions. Let the other teams label us as hoofers, I for one don't care if it means we get three points in the bag on a Saturday evening.

I think a lot of this hoofball stuff is ignorance from people who haven't realised that Megson has long since gone.

There was a time last season under gary megson  when we were going VERY direct and just bullying the sh*t out of everyone every week. But whilst we're still strong and powerful, we've definitely evolved from that style of football under DJ.

The old Wimbledon Crazy Gang were always labelled with the tag, but if you actually watched them regularly it was an unfair assessment. But, this worked into their hands. When the opposition believes the hype, you have an advantage. Basset and Bobby Gould used to love this tag, because it took away from them the fact that they did actually have a game plan and they were very effective at countering teams. They climbed the leagues and won an FA Cup on the back of being wrongly labelled as hoofers. Yes, they would occasionally hoof it but that can be said for ANY team in the world.

Exactly the same with Stoke now.

The accepted football fan logic is that they do nothing but take long throws and spank it 80 yards at Crouch's head. Watch them play and they're very clever and move the ball around fantastically...you couldn't survive in the Premiership otherwise.

If people want to wrongly assume that we're overly direct, then that's fine by me- you know the cliche about assumptions...