Football fans demand £20 away ticket price cap

I remember going to Oxford in the 70’s, Oxford’s chairman (Maxwell) charged Wednesdayites £5.00 ! about double the normal price for a game then, made no difference loads went and we won 3-0

Nothing changes…..

...could have been early 80's can't remember, cup game i think

was there mate, early wednesday away hunting grounds bring back some great memories

We had an email to Wednesdayite suggesting we campaign the club to ensure that we have a £10 price for home fans and £27 for Middlesborough fans for the final home game of the season.

On one hand it does sound like a good idea - but on the other - who is getting punished? Not Middlesborough FC who created the situation. Just the Middlesborough fans who would want to attend.

a bit like we were then, a rotten trick by them that shouldn't be allowed

and if we are guilty of this at any time then we should hang our head

robbing b*stards

interesting comment on the radio this morning. With the new payments being made to Premiership clubs next season. Each club in the Premiership could drop their ticket prices by around £32/ match home and away and not notice the difference

http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/listen-again/episode/103315

click on 09:00- 09:30 and it's about 24 minutes 30 seconds in

Edited by darra

Guest chuckie4570

Good idea and good luck to em but can't see clubs going for it......

Don't forget fans are just cash cow that clubs can just milk dry!

As long as people pay £60+ for tickets clubs will charge it.

Prices will only come down if attendances fall.

I agree though £20 is plenty, prices are taking the game away from traditional fans.

I remember being 15 or 16 and going home and away but I doubt many kids that age can do that now.

Same as all business's,

Supply and demand rules the day,

So the only way to make a difference is with our feet.

Capping players wages will simply not happen

I didn't say it would? When the ridiculous wages are paid out its got to come from somewhere, and in amongst that somewhere is obviously the money generated from ticket sales. Ticket prices will not be cut without that money being accounted for elsewhere.

The part I never fully understand to get my head around is that clubs week in week out are generally playing to less than full capacities mainly because the price of the tickets for the working man & family are too high.

There is no equality between the have & have nots in life in general with that also displayed at football games.

A fairer system would be set a percentage of the tickets available for games at a lower price say 20-25% so the fans can attend as to me having a full stadium is worth an extra man on the pitch.

It staggers me how ridiculous it is the way prices have become over-inflated......Watford were playing Charlton at home recently and living as close to their ground as I do I looked at the matchday prices....£31 on the day when they only filled the stadium to 75% of its capacity. Surely it would make sense to distribute the tickets at a lower rate and build some links within the community.....it only benefits the club further down the line.

I remember going to Oxford in the 70’s, Oxford’s chairman (Maxwell) charged Wednesdayites £5.00 ! about double the normal price for a game then, made no difference loads went and we won 3-0

Nothing changes…..

...could have been early 80's can't remember, cup game i think

i remember that, it was the 1983/84 season. oxford i think had beaten man utd in the previous round and wednesday went and played them off the park. wednesday fans had a large banner hanging up saying something like "money mad maxwell, top ticket tout" which got applause from all around the ground. strange how you remember odd incidents.

Not sure if its mentioned in this thread or another, but in America a game has to have a certain percentage of fans there for it to be allowed to be shown on tv. Bring that rule in and see how quickly some clubs fill their stadiums once they lose tv payments.

Obviously this has a different effect on different clubs, ie we have a larger stadium than a lot so would have to work harder etc, but maybe there's some mileage in that kind of initiative.

Same as all business's,

Supply and demand rules the day,

So the only way to make a difference is with our feet.

I don't think it is supply and demand though, look at leeds for example, nowhere near full and they charge £36 a ticket. Middlesbrough £30 a ticket and they can't even half full the stadium, when they reduced it to £12 they got a sell out pretty much.

The top 4/5 prem clubs could charge what they want and still sell out but other than those clubs the fans won't pay it.

Look at non league football as well though, my local team Whitby Town charge a tenner and then wonder why there's no one there!!!!