Football fans demand £20 away ticket price cap

I know the thought of not going away to watch your team is unthinkable for most loyal fans that follow their clubs all over the country but if they where to start telling clubs who charge over £20 quid for away fans where to stick their tickets they would soon get the message .

Derby did this the other year against QPR iirc. They didn't even offer the tickets to thir fans, just returned the entire batch because QPR were wanting £42 a ticket.

Guest Banno's Wedge

NO WAY

We love BG

He's a legend up Eccy Village

Yeah and if you did this he would be a legend with fans througout the country

Every club is striving to get to the premier league but it's the fans who will get shafted when they get there. The likes of Arsenal, chelsea, tottenham, man utd, city etc will charge a fortune for tickets, only for the fans to see their team more than likely get a hammering.

Edited by Scoz

in the prem especially, home teams give the away teams the absolute minimum allocation they can. There is no way that teams will offer these significant prices to the 3/4 thousand away fans when theyre charging double/triple that to the 40thousand+ home fans. It would alienate them from their primary income source. They're definitely not going to offer these prices to both home and away fans because they will lose a lot of money out of it. It would be nice if the game was given back to the fans, but i cant see it happening now. The money making machine has got too big and too powerful for that

it's not ticket prices that are the issue. Charlton is £25 on Sat, £5 more than this 'capped price' would be.

it's the £45 train ticket & the price of drink & food in london. You could be looking at a total cost of £130-£150. 

Isn't that why it's better to have reduced price match tickets?

To help with the overall cost of the day....

?

Owlstalk Shop

I remember going to Oxford in the 70’s, Oxford’s chairman (Maxwell) charged Wednesdayites £5.00 ! about double the normal price for a game then, made no difference loads went and we won 3-0
Nothing changes…..

...could have been early 80's can't remember, cup game i think

Edited by sherlyegg

Football for both home and away fans is way too expensive, including at Hillsborough.

£20 is the absolute maximum any supporter, in any division should have to pay.

If some folk want to pay extra for cucumber sandwiches and pate - let them, but the rank and file shouldn't be fleeced as well.

Guest Deleted member

It's about time. 

We always get hammered away from home because of our large following and It does my head in. Not a lot of clubs cater for students either, so my son ( well me ) has to fork out for an adult ticket.

Look at that at Middlesborough last November, £12.00 for them and £27.00 for us and no Student prices.

We had an email to Wednesdayite suggesting we campaign the club to ensure that we have a £10 price for home fans and £27 for Middlesborough fans for the final home game of the season.

On one hand it does sound like a good idea - but on the other - who is getting punished? Not Middlesborough FC who created the situation. Just the Middlesborough fans who would want to attend.

but what about home games, like e.g away fans come to our club costing £20 and then we get charged £28 for sitting in the northstand. how will this work?

We all go in the away end?

Seriously though for me the cost of the tickets isn't the issue it's the cost of me getting to a game, £40 odd for me to get to a home game, a bite to eat and the ticket and I've spent £70. Then throw in ill usually bring the wife to keep me company and that's nearly £100, knocking a few quid off the ticket price wouldn't really help me personally.

I do understand that for anyone who lives in Sheffield will see it differently though, as a £20 ticket may tempt people rather than charging them £28.

I'm contemplating getting a season ticket next year but its the fuel costs putting me off so I may have to stick to a membership and pick and choose the games like I have done every other season.

As long as people pay £60+ for tickets clubs will charge it.

Prices will only come down if attendances fall.

I agree though £20 is plenty, prices are taking the game away from traditional fans.

I remember being 15 or 16 and going home and away but I doubt many kids that age can do that now.

Ive missed 2 away games this season, both through finances. Going away is the greatest feeling, the most addictive too. However as you get older other things take priority and unfortunately Wednesday get pushed to one side. For the first time ever i'm having to question whether going home and away every weekend is what's best for me and my family.

I remember going to Oxford in the 70’s, Oxford’s chairman (Maxwell) charged Wednesdayites £5.00 ! about double the normal price for a game then, made no difference loads went and we won 3-0

Nothing changes…..

...could have been early 80's can't remember, cup game i think

I remember it well it was early 80's in the cup. Maxwell put the price up just for that one game and only to the away fans IIRC.