Admission prices

What can you remember of admission prices in years gone by?

Kids prices on the Kop or Leppings Lane.

My first match in 1966 was 9d

It went up to 2 bob around 1970

Then half a crown a few years later.

The Fulham match in 1967 for our Centenary was half price admission.

Adult Kop ticket in 1982/83 season was £5

Cant remember any more, but feel they are all relative to today's prices.

To afford a ticket in the North or South was a treat saved for very wet and rainy days.

Edited by marconi

Are you sure it was 9d in 1966?

I first went in November 1958 and I could have sworn it was one shilling(juniors) and 3d for the programme.  I only got two shillings a week pocket money so I only had 9p left if Wednesday were at home.  :sad:

Not 100% sure but 9d rings a bell.

Definitely 2 shillings 1970

9d in 1966 would be the equivalent in today's money ( pence ) of about 3.75 pence

The actual spending power of 9d would be equivalent to around 48 pence ( as of 2005 - latest figures available )

It just shows how much admissions have gone up in " real terms" ( modern football wages, inflation etc. )

This link can convert old money to new etc. and show you the equivalent spending power.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/currency/default0.asp#mid

When I first went it was around a shilling ( 5 pence )  or I think 1 shilling and 3d at leppings lane in around 1966/1967 from what I remember.

Edited by Captain Scarlett

There was an episode of Minder on UK Gold last year from around 1980-81, Tel was going in to Stamford Bridge to watch Chelsea and the price on the turnstile (For standing) was £2, what's the cheapest price there now, over £50 isn't it? (Not that the price of going into SB will worry any of us in the forseeable future).

my 1st game was in 62 and think i paid 2/6(junior) to sit in the north stand after that i was always on the kop which was a shilling for kids .i'd go from mexboro on the bus which was 3 bob and 4d for a programme..........22p( all in)  in todays money,times have certainly changed