Did Waddle really only score 10 league goals for us?

Guest balbyowl

It's funny how the young mind can play ticks.

Having started supporting Wednesday in about 1989 at about 5 years old, Waddle became by far an away my favourite player a few years later. In my head he was banging them in left right and centre. Somewhere along the line my head has clearly confused assists with goals.

I guess the '93 free kick at wembley burnt deep into the psyche

Always a legend......(irrespective of diamond lights)

Guest balbyowl

Probably more a case of an event being talked about and shown on TV so often over the years that you think you "remember" something that happened when you were 9 years old . Or in the case of Diamond Lights - 2 years old.

The one and only David Burrows I believe.

In my head and it may be wrong I thought I read a quote from burrows that said when he shook waddles hand after the game he said something like thanks for making me look a right twohat.

I don't care how many he scored. He was just magical. Again bugger knows how we signed him but wow is the only word.

And that wembley goal.

Guest Triplej2

10 goals

16,0000 assist

17 million magic moments

Waddle was that good he set up an amount of goals that didn't even exist in popular numeracy!!

Hirsty is my favourite but waddle was the best.

Just watch the footage from his first season, the range of passing, his crossing, beating players. The man was magnificent that year.

Which is why he was player of the year, not just for us,in the country.

Guest Distraught!

Perhaps his penalty in the 1990 World Cup can give a clue as to why he was never a prolific scorer!

Can't have everything, eh? :Hirsty:

Waddle. Silly really. When he signed for us I thought WTF? Now I still think WTF?

Im a realist, and the stats dont tell lies. The fact that people still talk about 'The Waddle game' (V West Ham) and the goal in the cup semi just goes to show that he didnt do a great deal else in 109 games,  I was there on numerous days when it wasnt going for him and he did flip all lazing about on the wing hoping it would come his way. Too many blue tinted glasses on here make him something he wasnt.

Bit of realism please.

Now David Hirst..............

This is blasphemy

Waddle. Silly really. When he signed for us I thought WTF? Now I still think WTF?

Im a realist, and the stats dont tell lies. The fact that people still talk about 'The Waddle game' (V West Ham) and the goal in the cup semi just goes to show that he didnt do a great deal else in 109 games, I was there on numerous days when it wasnt going for him and he did flip all lazing about on the wing hoping it would come his way. Too many blue tinted glasses on here make him something he wasnt.

Bit of realism please.

Are you Graham Taylor? He won footballer of the year in 1993

Guest Distraught!

Im a realist, and the stats dont tell lies. The fact that people still talk about 'The Waddle game' (V West Ham) and the goal in the cup semi just goes to show that he didnt do a great deal else in 109 games,  I was there on numerous days when it wasnt going for him and he did flip all lazing about on the wing hoping it would come his way. Too many blue tinted glasses on here make him something he wasnt.

Bit of realism please.

Now Jermaine Johnson..............

:biggrin:

Guest Wilf Marshall

Waddle. Silly really. When he signed for us I thought WTF? Now I still think WTF?Im a realist, and the stats dont tell lies. The fact that people still talk about 'The Waddle game' (V West Ham) and the goal in the cup semi just goes to show that he didnt do a great deal else in 109 games,  I was there on numerous days when it wasnt going for him and he did flip all lazing about on the wing hoping it would come his way. Too many blue tinted glasses on here make him something he wasnt.Bit of realism please.Now David Hirst..............

This is heresy!

Bit of realism please.

Staggering. Just staggering

Guest Nilsson_is_God

Im a realist, and the stats dont tell lies. The fact that people still talk about 'The Waddle game' (V West Ham) and the goal in the cup semi just goes to show that he didnt do a great deal else in 109 games, I was there on numerous days when it wasnt going for him and he did flip all lazing about on the wing hoping it would come his way. Too many blue tinted glasses on here make him something he wasnt.

Bit of realism please.

I suggest u send me your address and I will bring you 3 videos round from 92-94 and you have an evening in watching them... You are either on the wind up or have a poo memory...

Bit of realism please.

Just goes to show how subjective football is. I'm pretty sure I saw every game he played at Hillsborough and I came home buzzing. Against the champions, Blackburn - they had three players on him and he still twinkle-toed round them all and put in cross after cross.

I suppose there were so many class acts in that team opinions will differ on the best.

Guest normski

Walking along, Singinging our song

Walking in in a winter waddle Land

There's only one Chrisy waddle!!

Pure legend

End of thread

And a sheffielder at heart too now!!