DJ on talk sport now!

I disagree fella. By using language such as "they"- he's not counting himself as part of the team, and surely that's going to have an effect?

It gets the back of many supporters up, for sure!

it's true it CAN get supporters backs up...

and during sticky times, you need all the help you can get...

Seriously, you would think the club would invest in a lesson on interview techniques. Most business's do for employees who are likely to face a mic or camera.

They do for the players - and it shows; players' interviews are abysmal. Dull, lifeless, and clichéd.

Anyway, if anyone should be trained it should be the journalists because their line of questions are terrible.

"So, Dave, do you think it's important to get back to winning ways?"

"So, Dave, how important do you think it is that we kept a clean sheet?"

"So, Dave, a couple of our defenders scored today; do you think it's good that we're getting goals from the back line?"

They do for the players - and it shows; players' interviews are abysmal. Dull, lifeless, and clichéd.

Anyway, if anyone should be trained it should be the journalists because their line of questions are terrible.

"So, Dave, do you think it's important to get back to winning ways?"

"So, Dave, how important do you think it is that we kept a clean sheet?"

"So, Dave, a couple of our defenders scored today; do you think it's good that we're getting goals from the back line?"

Defo. Journalists are so boring and clueless with the most awful questions.. DJ should mix it up a bit.

The Alan Biggs wrote a piece on DJ saying how he comes over in interviews and in press conferences is poles apart how he is in private - one assumes that's what the players see

I think he's taken this on board of late and is improving. He's not a natural media communicator but I think he's learned that he needed to do better and is trying.

Not quite sure how it affects the team tbh. You could say DJ's and GM's approach in this area are polar opposites. Nobody could question GM's dedication to the owls.

Plus- I can't think of any other manager that distances himself from the team in the way that DJ does. That said, his results at the end of last season certainly when affected were they?

Anyway, back on topic.... anything interesting come out on the radio interview?

You''re right their approaches are different. Megson was rude, arrogant and aggressive whenever he was interviewed. We'd get absolutely stuffed, and Megson would come onto Radio Sheffield, tell the interviewer that he was asking stupid questions, and then gloss over the perfomance by spouting stuff like, "these are the best fans in the world, this is the only club in the world, when we sign a player I take him up on the Kop, to where I used to stand and let him take in the view". We used to think how wonderful he was because he conned us all with BS, and we forgot about the performance we'd just witnessed. Megson is and always will be a Wednesday fan, and we made such allowances for him because of that. He was interviewed on Radio 5 about a week after he was sacked, and if you listen to tthe interview of, gary megson the unemployed manager, as opposed to gary megson, Sheffield Wednesday manager, you quickly realiise what an arrogant aggressive so and so he was. Dave Jones must be a dream to interview compared to Megson.

You''re right their approaches are different. Megson was rude, arrogant and aggressive whenever he was interviewed. We'd get absolutely stuffed, and Megson would come onto Radio Sheffield, tell the interviewer that he was asking stupid questions, and then gloss over the perfomance by spouting stuff like, "these are the best fans in the world, this is the only club in the world, when we sign a player I take him up on the Kop, to where I used to stand and let him take in the view". We used to think how wonderful he was because he conned us all with BS, and we forgot about the performance we'd just witnessed. Megson is and always will be a Wednesday fan, and we made such allowances for him because of that. He was interviewed on Radio 5 about a week after he was sacked, and if you listen to tthe interview of, gary megson the unemployed manager, as opposed to gary megson, Sheffield Wednesday manager, you quickly realiise what an arrogant aggressive so and so he was. Dave Jones must be a dream to interview compared to Megson.

Megson used interviews to influence the fans, in a fairly obvious and superficial manner granted, but it worked to a degree. Until the last few weeks Jones came across as patronising and arrogant in many of his interviews.

Ppl seem to forget DJ was given a torrid time by the media. It could simply be a case of he feels uncomfortable when being interviewed. To be honest if I was him I'd probably never talk to the media again

You may be right and it would be understandable that he's a bit reluctant but it goes with the territory.

Ppl seem to forget DJ was given a torrid time by the media. It could simply be a case of he feels uncomfortable when being interviewed. To be honest if I was him I'd probably never talk to the media again

I always thought it was that too Blueblood- luckily i've never been given a chasing by the tabloids...but when you hear stories about them jumping your kids and wife on the school run/camping outside your house taking photos throughout the night/following your car taking photos etc...well, I can imagine why if you HAVE been under intense media scrutiny as DJ was, you'd put up a emotional barrier to journalists.

As has been said, the media part of his job seems to be a part that he doesn't enjoy. It seems to me that he just tries to get through it every week without saying anything controversial or noteworthy...and I don't really blame him.

As for the 'smug' and 'arrogant' stuff- it is only levelled at him when we lose. When we win or draw, nobody gives a monkeys (as proven by the last three matches.)

Edited by TheBoyBeevers

I was watching a re run of the US open Tennis the other night afterwards they Interviewed Murray and you could see that he hated every minute of it and was feeling very uncomfortable. When it was finished he couldn't leave quick enough he even left the trophy behind :biggrin: . Off court though he is supposed to be the life and soul with a very dry wit. My point is that some sports people love speaking in to a microphone or camera lens others hate it DJ is one of the haters as was Brian Laws I reckon