Self-deprecation

I've stayed away from here since the match yesterday so that I could reflect on it myself before seeing the reaction of others.

Firstly, as an overall picture: no one is going to argue with the fact that we haven't played well since the first few games of the season. However, one thing that has been truly highlighted by our win yesterday is the self-deprecating nature of some our fans. I honestly think a small minority on here would have rather we lost yesterday to fuel the spreading of even more negativity.

It was ugly, and we didn't play well, but for once we actually got a bit of luck and snatched the 3 points: something I'll happily take.

But as usual, some people would rather berate the team and twist things to put us in as bad a light as possible. An example is some claiming Barnsley outplayed us.... DID THEY REALLY? I thought they perhaps shaded it without really doing anything. Plus, when Bristol fluked a win against us last week did the same people turn around and say 'well at least we were the better team' ? No, they concentrated on the fact we'd lost. Now we've won they've got to find another negative.

The current character of some of our fans reminds me of one of those typical fat girls who diets half-heartedly and then moans that she's not lost 5 stone after a week, whilst simultaniously biting on a Snickers Bar. Yesterday's win was that fat girl losing 3 pounds but her saying 'well I thought I would have lost more than that'. Be chuffing happy you lost 3 pounds and move on to the next week you self-deprecating *****.

I'll say it again: most on here said they'd be content with staying in the league this year. That meant there was going to be a good chance of a dogfight to stay up. It just so happens that we're in that dogfight, and now it's come to that, some have decided that actually they're not up for a backs-to-the-wall season. Make your mind up.

I have complete faith in Milan. I kicked off when Megson was sacked but after gaining promotion last season doing his own thing that should have given him the right to go about his business without question or scepticism from us this year. Trust in what he's doing, try to be rational, and stop getting a kick out of being a gloomer.

I'm not happy with a lot of what has happened this season. I don't think Jones' signings have been good enough, but I'm not wasting energy picking holes out of every little thing. I expect Milan to realise this, and act upon it in whatever way he deems best for the club. If he wants to stick by Jones, then so be it. He's got our best interests at heart (in terms of staying in this league).

Don't twist what I'm saying here. I'm not saying to pretend everything is perfect. I'm not saying that people should be shot down for sharing an opinion that is negative towards the team . What I am saying is don't be negative for the sake of being negative and twisting every little thing to give you that self-deprecating buzz. Owlstalk is better when we stick together. Last season was f'in awesome on here - even when the going got tough. Everyone stuck together and that made promotion all the more sweeter. Now that things are rough, we've got some who want the whole fanbase to be as bitter and twisted as they are. Well I'm sorry, but not me.

I'll say if we play bad. I'll say that things aren't perfect. But I am well up for a dogfight until the end of the season and expect more frustration along the way. UP THE F'IN OWLS and here's to getting out of the relegation zone!

(I should note that this post is aimed at only a smallish minority)

I've stayed away from here since the match yesterday so that I could reflect on it myself before seeing the reaction of others.

Firstly, as an overall picture: no one is going to argue with the fact that we haven't played well since the first few games of the season. However, one thing that has been truly highlighted by our win yesterday is the self-deprecating nature of some our fans. I honestly think a small minority on here would have rather we lost yesterday to fuel the spreading of even more negativity.

It was ugly, and we didn't play well, but for once we actually got a bit of luck and snatched the 3 points: something I'll happily take.

But as usual, some people would rather berate the team and twist things to put us in as bad a light as possible. An example is some claiming Barnsley outplayed us.... DID THEY REALLY? I thought they perhaps shaded it without really doing anything. Plus, when Bristol fluked a win against us last week did the same people turn around and say 'well at least we were the better team' ? No, they concentrated on the fact we'd lost. Now we've won they've got to find another negative.

The current character of some of our fans reminds me of one of those typical fat girls who diets half-heartedly and then moans that she's not lost 5 stone after a week, whilst simultaniously biting on a Snickers Bar. Yesterday's win was that fat girl losing 3 pounds but her saying 'well I thought I would have lost more than that'. Be chuffing happy you lost 3 pounds and move on to the next week you self-deprecating *****.

I'll say it again: most on here said they'd be content with staying in the league this year. That meant there was going to be a good chance of a dogfight to stay up. It just so happens that we're in that dogfight, and now it's come to that, some have decided that actually they're not up for a backs-to-the-wall season. Make your mind up.

I have complete faith in Milan. I kicked off when Megson was sacked but after gaining promotion last season doing his own thing that should have given him the right to go about his business without question or scepticism from us this year. Trust in what he's doing, try to be rational, and stop getting a kick out of being a gloomer.

I'm not happy with a lot of what has happened this season. I don't think Jones' signings have been good enough, but I'm not wasting energy picking holes out of every little thing. I expect Milan to realise this, and act upon it in whatever way he deems best for the club. If he wants to stick by Jones, then so be it. He's got our best interests at heart (in terms of staying in this league).

Don't twist what I'm saying here. I'm not saying to pretend everything is perfect. I'm not saying that people should be shot down for sharing an opinion that is negative towards the team . What I am saying is don't be negative for the sake of being negative and twisting every little thing to give you that self-deprecating buzz. Owlstalk is better when we stick together. Last season was f'in awesome on here - even when the going got tough. Everyone stuck together and that made promotion all the more sweeter. Now that things are rough, we've got some who want the whole fanbase to be as bitter and twisted as they are. Well I'm sorry, but not me.

I'll say if we play bad. I'll say that things aren't perfect. But I am well up for a dogfight until the end of the season and expect more frustration along the way. UP THE F'IN OWLS and here's to getting out of the relegation zone!

I agree with most of what you've said but I think people are being positive just for the sake of it aswell, just to counter the negative comments

This bit lol

Well said mate.

I'd accept it if they draw on positive things, but they're just doing it

1. To appear different

2. They don't like the poster

3. To go against the general consensus so everyone will love them and plus them

Just my opinion anyway

:laugh:

Why would going against the general consensus make everyone love and plus you?

Edited by markowl

Guest foreverSWFC

:laugh:

Brilliant.

Or maybe, just maybe, they actually do have a different oppinion?

based on what though, what have you seen from this team (on-field) in the past couple of months which is positive? getting steamrolled most weeks? People are just lying to themselves. Hopefully they might wake up when we are relegated

Guest tha_knows

It's not about negativity its just pointing out the obvious problems within the team, surely people are entitled to have a say on that?? As I said yesterday in another thread, I was absolutely delighted to see us get 3 points and a clean sheet, but let's not get giddy just yet, after all can you honestly say that was a good performance?? Against better, more clinical opposition we'de have took a rate spanking. Some on here were posting stuff like " We will avoid relegation now" because we scraped a 1-0 win against a team one place above us. I just cant wait for Jan transfer window and hopefully we can add the missing pieces to the Wednesday jigsaw

based on what though, what have you seen from this team (on-field) in the past couple of months which is positive? getting steamrolled most weeks? People are just lying to themselves. Hopefully they might wake up when we are relegated

Good god.

If you don't see 3 points against a relegation rival as a positive then I'm afraid there's no hope.

Good god.

If you don't see 3 points against a relegation rival as a positive then I'm afraid there's no hope.

What I'm saying is what is the point of seeing it as a positive if we won't win again for the 2334 games? because it's looking like that unless their is drastic changes in January (which I can't see)

I'd love to be able to be positive but there's nothing to hold onto, barely even celebrated yesterday's goal. There's a weird feeling atm

It's not about negativity its just pointing out the obvious problems within the team, surely people are entitled to have a say on that?? As I said yesterday in another thread, I was absolutely delighted to see us get 3 points and a clean sheet, but let's not get giddy just yet, after all can you honestly say that was a good performance?? Against better, more clinical opposition we'de have took a rate spanking. Some on here were posting stuff like " We will avoid relegation now" because we scraped a 1-0 win against a team one place above us. I just cant wait for Jan transfer window and hopefully we can add the missing pieces to the Wednesday jigsaw

But like I said, everyone should be free to express their views. There's nothing wrong saying we didn't play well yesterday - we didn't. It's the ones who just say, 'well we won, but we were crap and are still going down' in that typical submissive 'boo-hoo' manner that winds me up. It works the other way as well. Yesterday's win doesn't suddenly mean we're destined for the playoffs either as you noted.

Based on the fact we won yesterday.

So with your logic, if we win on Saturday, there's no room for positivity because we've been poor the last couple of months?