Absolutely fantastic

Don't get me wrong. We were very poor today. But it is very hard for a team that has been on the kind of run that we have and lacking in confidence to just go out and win by playing good expansive football. Anyone who thinks we should have done that wants their bumps feeling. A turnaround has to start with battling, and we certainly battled hard today.

It was a great three points but we now have to keep that going and try to build on it.

Edited by Chris E

Don't get me wrong. We were very poor today. But it is very hard for a team that has been on the kind of run that we have and lacking in confidence to just go out and win by playing good expansive football. A turnaround has to start with battling, and we certainly battled hard today.

It was a great three points but we now have to keep that going and try to build on it.

Exactly, its a start, thats all.

Remember when we appointed Irvine and won 5/7 and still got relegated? Ipswich aren't out of it.

You keep hoping we lose though, true fan that.

True fans look at the bigger picture and assess what would be best for their club. As opposed to just sticking their head in the sand and hoping everything will be fine.We'll see where we are next season and see what we both have to say then, I guess.

Ipswich lost against Derby, the under performing manager was gone and McCarthy appointed. IIRC they were 7 points behind us at the time. Even with the loss at Leeds yesterday they are still 5 points ahead of us now. These are the same Ipswich players that 'played' for Jewell where they amassed 7 points from 13 games. Since he went they have amassed 16 points from 9 games. 'fan' is short for 'fanatic' and fanatics generally don't deal in reality. But some do. Me, for instance.

Staggering. You wanted Jones out when we'd lost 4 or 5 games.

True fans look at the bigger picture and assess what would be best for their club. As opposed to just sticking their head in the sand and hoping everything will be fine.We'll see where we are next season and see what we both have to say then, I guess.

What if yesterday kickstarts us and we go on a decent run? You'll be devastated.

And, pray, how have we done since then?

Terribly. But at that stage it was reactionary in the extreme.

What if yesterday kickstarts us and we go on a decent run? You'll be devastated.

Terribly. But at that stage it was reactionary in the extreme.

But was it prophetic? I think it was.

PS And let's get this absolutely right - if we went on a Jones super run (he's done it before, check out his wiki) and got to mid table safety i would be ECSTATIC and would apologise on here and admit I was wrong (I've effectively done this already because going back to when I joined in May I was praising DJ to the high heavens and predicting he was 'the one' to take us to the promised. I was wrong, and i admitted it. The only thing is I'm not expecting any of you who want to stick by him to do the same should we go down.

But was it prophetic? I think it was.

PS And let's get this absolutely right - if we went on a Jones super run (he's done it before, check out his wiki) and got to mid table safety i would be ECSTATIC and would apologise on here and admit I was wrong (I've effectively done this already because going back to when I joined in May I was praising DJ to the high heavens and predicting he was 'the one' to take us to the promised. I was wrong, and i admitted it. The only thing is I'm not expecting any of you who want to stick by him to do the same should we go down.

Wouldn't it be more fitting if you posted an apology several times in every single thread for months on end over analysing exactly why you were wrong down to the minutest detail?

A team can only do what they can based on what is put in front of them.

In fact the more I think of last night the more I think it was an amzing result coming off the back of seven straight defeats.

Three points, clean sheet, away from home and live on score against local opposition.

We didn't do anymore than was possible.

Guest Bournemouth Owl

Brilliant defensive display to grind out an incredibly important result. Jones will stay now, as he should. It's time for everyone to get behind him and let's get out of this mess together

Some people are very easily pleased, we still have the same problem as yesterday, we are in serious danger my friend ....

Hopefully that win will bring is some much needed confidence, but there is no denying that we are a poor outfit at the moment and better teams (most teams are better than Barnsley) will take three points off us.

For the first time in a long time we got a bit of luck and I hope that it continues.

However, we have to recruit well in January and start playing football with a bit more purpose.

As has already been pointed out, we were crap and we were lucky. But we battled hard. Any credibility that Jones has 'lost the dressing room' (God, I hate that cliche) was well and truly buried.

Spot on DJM - maybe this is something to do with reverting to effectively last seasons team apart from the 4 straight swaps.

I believe the loss of Reda for most of the season as an outlet and physical presence has been a big factor.

At the moment, even Barnsleys Greening or Perkins would strengthen this side - keeping things moving and positive passing - much more vibrant. They were all helped by their [raw and enthusiastic] full back and others making some terrific runs and making us work.

By god we need someone in that midfield - I am astonished that this was not identified or addressed in the summer.

Maguire and/or Rodders were clearly meant to be a partner up front for someone but they have not, for whatever reason worked out.

So much work to do on the team but I feel that for all the heroic defending and huff and puff, it will not be enough, as it was in Irvines tenure.

We have [yet] another opportunity to get these players in, in January. If we don't, I feel we will not have enough to compete. Until then it will be like the Alamo and trying to keep our heads above water and we should welcome these lucky points along the way.

It all hinges on what happens in the next four weeks and if we do not manage to acquire the players that allow Jones to play his usual style then we have to give ourselves a chance and seriously consider a manager who is used to playing a style that uses the players to their strengths rather than mould them into something they are not.

Too much to quick and someone who made the decisions on player recruitment was just as much guilty of looking for instant gratification as some of us have been demanding.

Edited by Flat Owl