Coaching

Today on Talksport, when discussing Arsenal being beaten by Bradford, it was stated that Arsene Wenger insists on doing the first team coaching but is not a very good coach.

Without wanting to discuss anything to do with Arsenal (except perhaps we could do with Terry Burton back), it crossed my mind that maybe that's our biggest problem. I hear everyone screaming for new strikers, wingers, central midfield, central defender etc in the transfer window. Perhaps the answer is to spend some money on a top coach to help Dave Jones. This isn't necessarily a criticism of DJ, as I clearly don't get to see the work being done with the first team squad, but we currently appear to be blundering along in the dark, devoid of ideas and/or organisation or drive.

Many of our players are underperforming. Is it that they're not up to it or just badly coached. Gardener and Taylor surely haven't become bad players overnight - they were clearly rated at their old clubs. Players like Morrison didn't get a look in at Wednesday, but has become a success after moving on - far from the first to do so.

Perhaps a top coach would be a cheaper and more successful answer to our current predicament.

I'd be interested in the views of some of the players, but that's hardly likely.

I agree. We have many problems but I believe the biggest one is whatever goes off at the training ground. We can't even do the basics at times like Pass and Move or mark the opposition when they're attacking us. The tactics or lack of are the burning issue. Who is overseeing the training and if not DJ why not? I am convinced if Terry Burton had still been here we would be pushing for a top six finish.

I agree. We have many problems but I believe the biggest one is whatever goes off at the training ground. We can't even do the basics at times like Pass and Move or mark the opposition when they're attacking us. The tactics or lack of are the burning issue. Who is overseeing the training and if not DJ why not? I am convinced if Terry Burton had still been here we would be pushing for a top six finish.

Not so sure we would be pushing for the top six but there have been times when we don't seem to know who should be taking free kicks. There was also the confusion re Lines's penalty and many times our corners have been one dimensional ie failing to beat the first man.

There has been an inability or lack of will or instruction to press the opposition and we have been content to get behind the ball even when we are losing and chasing the game.

Maybe with Terry Burton back we might be pushing for escaping the bottom three.

Edited by the mighty wednesday

The point is this wasn't started as a Terry Burton thread, but whether bringing in (at less cost than the 3 or 4 players people are suggesting) as good a coach as we could attract/pay would be better value for money to shape up the squad we already have.

I heard that on talks sport as well and also later on in the programs on TS talking about Spanish league needing money for certain clubs and ar willing to sell players so there's a few bargains to be looked at not saying we got the most money but worth a look at look at swansea with michu

I heard that on talks sport as well and also later on in the programs on TS talking about Spanish league needing money for certain clubs and ar willing to sell players so there's a few bargains to be looked at not saying we got the most money but worth a look at look at swansea with michu

Has James Beattie hanging around over summer allowed him to pass on his poo goal scoring record to us?

Robbie Fowler was hanging around with us last season when we were doing well. Maybe DJ should give him a call and get him involved with the strikers on the training pitch. Can't make things any worse surely?

Edited by rob_owl_92

Today on Talksport, when discussing Arsenal being beaten by Bradford, it was stated that Arsene Wenger insists on doing the first team coaching but is not a very good coach.

Without wanting to discuss anything to do with Arsenal (except perhaps we could do with Terry Burton back), it crossed my mind that maybe that's our biggest problem. I hear everyone screaming for new strikers, wingers, central midfield, central defender etc in the transfer window. Perhaps the answer is to spend some money on a top coach to help Dave Jones. This isn't necessarily a criticism of DJ, as I clearly don't get to see the work being done with the first team squad, but we currently appear to be blundering along in the dark, devoid of ideas and/or organisation or drive.

Many of our players are underperforming. Is it that they're not up to it or just badly coached. Gardener and Taylor surely haven't become bad players overnight - they were clearly rated at their old clubs. Players like Morrison didn't get a look in at Wednesday, but has become a success after moving on - far from the first to do so.

Perhaps a top coach would be a cheaper and more successful answer to our current predicament.

I'd be interested in the views of some of the players, but that's hardly likely.

For the last two months I have been saying this mate. i dont get to matches but what I have seen on telly, heard on radio and picked up from here and there it seemed to me a good roll of the dice. I suggested to bring in Chris Waddle as a midfield coach - crap managerial record but this would have a double whammy affect 1) the experience of a very well known and accepted attacking midfielder and 2) idol - people through the turnstiles. The second option I thought about was Robbie Fowler as he is spending his time coaching teenagers in Indonesia and Thailand these days (no disrespect to Robbie or the people he is coaching implied or intended). Fowler and DJ are also very big buddies. The first step is probably DJ having the gonads to ask for help...

Terry Burton was regarded as one of the best coaches in the country and had worked with DJ since being at Cardiff. When he left, Wilkinson, the Cardiff reserve team coach, was promoted from within.

This is only my opinion but it seems someone made the easy decision without realising the impact it would make on the team. No disrespect to Wilkinson, but in hindsight surely the more difficult but better option would have been to bring in a coach of the same calibre as Burton, if possible.

All speculation of course but the basic errors that we are seeing regularly have only reappeared since Burton leaving...and just as an aside...two things....play to the fookin' whistle and for the love of god get the ball beyond the first players at corners...ta...

Edited by Freshfish

Terry Burton was regarded as one of the best coaches in the country...

Aren't they all?

:dry:

Going back to the opening post though, the Wenger example is a most illuminating one. The idea that Arsenal fans generally are in any position to suggest they know better than him just shows what imbeciles follow clubs and how automatic some of the responses can be. This is part of the reason why I find a lot of this criticism so bloody irritating. A bunch of teachers, bus drivers and the jobless, with no comprehension of their own relative ignorance, lecturing one of the best managers in the game with witless cliches and accepted wisdom is just laughable. Similar observations can be made with Dave Jones here but obviously there is rather a large gulf between his achievements and those of Wenger which make some of the criticisms only slightly more justified.

Well I've heard from a decent source Jones is hardly at Middlewood for training or in Sheffield for that fact.... I'm only repeating what I've been told, before I get slagged off.

To paraphrase The Full Monty- he can't sing, he can't dance, not being funny but what does he do?

Seriously it doesn't look like just a matter of what we spend in January, but equally that this squad is already under performing as a group for whatever reason. Most of them have proved themselves previously.