Worst 10 Sheffield Wednesday players of all time

Paul McLaren.

There have been far worse players, I suppose, but he was still an extremely poor player for us.

I think watching him in that first season for us confirmed to me that we weren't going to be back in the Premiership for quite some time, and I suppose I never forgave him for that.

On 12/8/2012 at 12:49, Bournemouth Owl said:

Some strange worst players in there, we were in the Premier League then with some of them, Andy Sinton was an International England player, Wim Jonk was a Dutch International captain. . Gilles de Bilde was Belgium player of the year when we signed him. .. All I can say is you have misses an awful lot of games.

Doesn't mean they weren't complete bobbins when they pulled on t'Wednesday shirt. 

Wim Jonk may have been the Dutch captain but he was spectacularly useless for us. Sinton played a few good games, but we were probably cheated of seeing his best by injury, and let's face it Gilles de Bilde just didn't want to be at Hillsborough and put in zero effort.

To the list I'd also add Gerald Sibon - one week completely frustrating and easily the worst player to ever pull on the shirt, a total talentless donkey. The next week a complete world beater. It was always fun wondering before kick off which Sibon was going to turn up that day!

Edited by SouthCoastOwl
spelling

46 minutes ago, SouthCoastOwl said:

To the list I'd also add Gerald Sibon - one week completely frustrating and easily the worst player to ever pull on the shirt, a total talentless donkey. The next week a complete world beater.

Think your memory is going.  Sibon was never remotely the worse player to pull on a Wednesday shirt.  Not even in the bottom 40%.    Neither was he a world beater.    He was a decent player at Championship level but not worth the £3m he cost us.  Lot of money in 1999.   I'm sure he'd get in the current team.  

On 08/12/2012 at 12:30, deantheowl said:

Freshfish obviously after a bite!

Underrated imo

I thought Marwood was great when he first arrived. Always made room for a cross which was usually quality.

After a season though I think most figured him out and he was nowhere near as effective.

Sammy’ bleeding’Todd, Hugh Dowd! Have just seen a team photo on google with Dooley managing a squad that included the two aforementioned “footballers” and Steve Downes lurking in the back row. Kenny Burton was also in that squad, we christened him Custard Muscles very early on, he always looked completely knackered, huffing and blowing, bright red in the face...then you’d look at the clock and it said 3.05pm!:duntmatter:

On 07/12/2012 at 16:03, Sweet&TenderOwl said:

Imagine a XI of the worst ever Wednesday players, playing against the current lot? :st2:

Even our current lot might stand a chance of winning a game! lol

Though saying that it would probably end up a draw.

No chance. Leon Clarke would be playing up front in the worst XI. 

We've already seen them crumble in his wake.