Worst 10 Sheffield Wednesday players of all time

Depends how you’re judging these... if it’s based on what we paid for them, what they were earning and what they delivered Jordan Rhodes, Almen Abdi, George Boyd, Francis Jeffers and Andy Sinton would all be in there.

If it’s just the geniune worst players it’s players like Enoch Showumni, Ola Tidman, Chris Adamson, Guy Branston, Ian Hendon, Danny Maddix and Kim Olsen but I don’t like being too critical of the lads who turned out for us in league one 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pat blondeau said:

Depends how you’re judging these... if it’s based on what we paid for them, what they were earning and what they delivered Jordan Rhodes, Almen Abdi, George Boyd, Francis Jeffers and Andy Sinton would all be in there.

If it’s just the geniune worst players it’s players like Enoch Showumni, Ola Tidman, Chris Adamson, Guy Branston, Ian Hendon, Danny Maddix and Kim Olsen but I don’t like being too critical of the lads who turned out for us in league one 

Pat, how could you not mention yourself?!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Blue and white said:

Chris Turnip went on record as saying he had the potential to be the next David Hirst.

Oh how I laughed.

I remember comparisons being made with Kennett Anderson, a Swedish striker who helped his nation to the World Cup semi-finals in 1994.

They were the same height and that's about it.

On 20/11/2018 at 15:52, CraigSGM said:

We seem to have done pretty well for goalkeepers for quite a few years now.

Keiran Westwood

Chris Kirkland

Nicky Weaver

Lee Grant

Mark Crossley

David Lucas

It's interesting that only six first choice keepers take us all the way back to 2004. It's been a solid position. 

We've produced a few decent kids in that time too - Richard O'Donnell has ended up with a decent career in the football league, and Adam Davies has a decent career at Barnsley. 

So many, worst is Beswetherwick (his name sounds like the next village to Camberwick Green) and Blondeau.

Most disappointed in was Jonk, thought we had a world class player and excited to go to watch him but did nothing, didn't move or pass the ball except backward or sideways.

2 hours ago, Harrysgame said:

So many, worst is Beswetherwick (his name sounds like the next village to Camberwick Green) and Blondeau.

Most disappointed in was Jonk, thought we had a world class player and excited to go to watch him but did nothing, didn't move or pass the ball except backward or sideways.

He's  a copper now 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Harrysgame said:

I dont know anyone could include Wim Jonk in the 10 worst.

He was a good player, you don't play for Ajax, Inter Milan and the Dutch national team if you're  not.

We signed him when he was nearly 32, so in the twilight of his career. When we were in the 2nd division he was 34.

I remember him having a cracking game and scoring 2 v Man. Utd in a 3-1 win at Hillsborough.

In fact for a midfielder he had a good scoring record in some of Europes top leagues, averaging a goal every 5 games in his career.

I can think of plenty since him who have been worse.

Here are 20+ foreign players since Wim Jonk was here who have IMO been worse.

There have also been many more who I have left out that only played a few games.

Modou Sougou

Urby Emanuelson

Filipe Melo

Marco Matias

Juan Cobian

Petter Rudi

Gilles De Bilde

Gerald Siibon

Pablo Bonvin

Michele Di Piedi

Trond Soltvedt

Con Blatsis

Drissa Diallo

Yoann Folly

Nsumbu-Ndungu

Etienne Esajas

Frank Songolo

Bartotsz Slusarski

Nejc Pecnik

Jeremy Helan

Sergiu Bus

Kamil Zayatte

Claude Dielna

Marnick Vermijl

Joost Van Aken

Almen Abdi

Atdhe Nuhiu :ph34r:

Edit ..I liked Soldvedt, thought he did well for us.

Just now, Tommy Crawshaw said:

absolutely not but he was one of the most disappointing coz with his pedigree he should have had a far greater influence on the team . …..his last big contract and he saw it thru to the bitter end without it seemed breaking sweat . 

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

absolutely not but he was one of the most disappointing coz with his pedigree he should have had a far greater influence on the team . …..his last big contract and he saw it thru to the bitter end without it seemed breaking sweat . 

I suppose so, though he was nearly 32 when he signed and as you say his last big contract.

His first season was reasonable, played in nearly all the games, and we beat Man.Utd, Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal and Tottenham.

Second season was obviously relegation.

Though he was far from the worst player in that team, we De Bilde and Sibon up front.

After relegation he played the first 2 games in division 1 then that was it.

I cant remember what happened, was he injured or not picked?

3 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

He was a good player, you don't play for Ajax, Inter Milan and the Dutch national team if you're  not.

We signed him when he was nearly 32, so in the twilight of his career. When we were in the 2nd division he was 34.

I remember him having a cracking game and scoring 2 v Man. Utd in a 3-1 win at Hillsborough.

In fact for a midfielder he had a good scoring record in some of Europes top leagues, averaging a goal every 5 games in his career.

I can think of plenty since him who have been worse.

Here are 20+ foreign players since Wim Jonk was here who have IMO been worse.

There have also been many more who I have left out that only played a few games.

Modou Sougou

Urby Emanuelson

Filipe Melo

Marco Matias

Juan Cobian

Petter Rudi

Gilles De Bilde

Gerald Siibon

Pablo Bonvin

Michele Di Piedi

Trond Soltvedt

Con Blatsis

Drissa Diallo

Yoann Folly

Nsumbu-Ndungu

Etienne Esajas

Frank Songolo

Bartotsz Slusarski

Nejc Pecnik

Jeremy Helan

Sergiu Bus

Kamil Zayatte

Claude Dielna

Marnick Vermijl

Joost Van Aken

Almen Abdi

Atdhe Nuhiu :ph34r:

Edit ..I liked Soldvedt, thought he did well for us.

Said disapointed not worst. Thought he was world class when saw him in that Dutch team, just didn't live up to expectations for us.

9 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

I suppose so, though he was nearly 32 when he signed and as you say his last big contract.

His first season was reasonable, played in nearly all the games, and we beat Man.Utd, Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal and Tottenham.

Second season was obviously relegation.

Though he was far from the worst player in that team, we De Bilde and Sibon up front.

After relegation he played the first 2 games in division 1 then that was it.

I cant remember what happened, was he injured or not picked?

Jonk was injured but you never got the impression he was busting a gut to get back.

Think manager at the time Paul Jewel said he was still on first team bonuses even though he hadn't seen him for 3 months.

Jonk was obviously a class player. A midfield general that had a better career then John Sheridan if you look at his record but you never got the impression he was that bothered at Wednesday. One last big contract basically.

Worst on ability was Chris adamson. Bought purely as back up but he lacked every basic component to be a goalkeeper . 

disappointing would be abdi . Big money , decent reputation . Shame the muppets running the club are incapable of spotting a crock when they see one .  

11 hours ago, Harrysgame said:

Said disapointed not worst. Thought he was world class when saw him in that Dutch team, just didn't live up to expectations for us.

You were always going to be disappointed if you were expecting him to replicate his 90's form for Holland with us. By the 1998 World Cup his international career was coming to an end, he was 32 years old and for the Dutch he had Bergkamp and Overmars to make the play for, not quite the same when you are looking to Booth and De Bilde for forward movement! 

He did OK in his first season then injuries took their toll, ridiculous but not his fault that someone at the club agreed to pay him healthy bonus fees even when he wasn't available for selection.

3 hours ago, james o connor said:

Worst on ability was Chris adamson. Bought purely as back up but he lacked every basic component to be a goalkeeper . 

disappointing would be abdi . Big money , decent reputation . Shame the muppets running the club are incapable of spotting a crock when they see one .  

Tidman was worse for me but Adamson was pretty poor. We had some bad keepers around that time. Lucas was steady but a bit injury prone and when he was out injured during the 2004-05 season the likes of Adamson and Gallagher who we got on loan were not up to it. Brad Jones followed not long after, how he ended up at Liverpool I'll never know.