Worst 10 Sheffield Wednesday players of all time

18 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

I can remember Paul Smith from Hartlepool was it? Injured for most of his career here - just checked, 2 seasons, injured for much of the 2nd and ended up retiring after :(

Evans, didn't we sign him from Birmingham .. handful of games, than that was that!

I think smith went to Sheffield F.C. for a bit. A great cross but no speed!

Evans was really quick and didn’t have a bad cross but only run in a straight line. I think he got injured too.

8 hours ago, jonesy87shef said:

Just copy and pasted what I wrote in a thread the other week. For about 20 years most our players have been sh*t. This is with regards to players improving when signing for us and going on to do better. Thought it’d fit well in here and explain partly why we can list so many players.

This, mostly players massively regress under us.

Whether that’s down to quality of the coaching. Tactics. The fact that anyone half proven we sign is coming into the twilight of their career so it’s alresdy on the decline. Who knows.

Considering we will have have hundreds of players of the last couple of decades it is frightening how few have gone on to play consistently at a higher level or even been good solid championship regulars.

I’ve just quickly checked signings since our relegation from the premier league. These are the only ones I could find who played at a higher level consistently or even continued at championship level. We really have signed some utter garbage for 20 years.

Kuqi, Holt, Brunt, Whelan, Antonio, Grant, Madine, Maghoma, Morrison, Clarke.

Even looking at the list aboube there are mainly pretty bang average championship players. 

Our recruitment and our coaching has been up there with the worst in the country for far to long. There’s no evidence to show this is changing either except for the youth coaching.

You say this, but can you compare it to other clubs? It’s alright saying it’s been the worst in the country, but you’ve got to compare how other clubs of a similar stature have done in the transfer market.

7 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

You say this, but can you compare it to other clubs? It’s alright saying it’s been the worst in the country, but you’ve got to compare how other clubs of a similar stature have done in the transfer market.

That’s a poo load of effort so to be honest and I really can’t be bothered. 

Just take my word for it most clubs for the last 20 years will have had more than 15 players that stay at the same level or play higher. It couldn’t be more obviously really.

Actually, tell you what. I’ll quickly do United for 2000-2015. That seems a fair comparison. Think they might have spent longer in league 1 so should have less really.

51 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

So here you go, United by comparison. One or two might be generous. On the other hand I’ve misses off at least half a dozen I could have included. 

Remember it’s players that carried on playing at the same level or above for at least a couple of seasons. Ours for the most part go down the leagues and fast. I’ll miss a few off as not sure if league one or championship.

Marcus Bent, Phil Jagielka, Georges Santos, paul peschisolido, Patrick Suffo, Micahael Brown, Carl Asaba, Dean Windass, Robert Page, Billy Sharp, Andy Gray, Simon Francis, Stephen Quinn, David Unsworth, Paul Ifill, Ade Akinbiyi, Steve Kabba, Claude Davis, Colin KazimRichards, Mikele Liegertwood, Ahmed Fathi, Kyle Naughton, Kyle Walker, David Cotterill, Rob Hulse, James Beattie, Michael Tongue, Matthew Lowton, Matthew Kilgallon, Brain Howard, Paddy Kenny, Leon Britton, Darius Henderson, Mark Yeates, Jamie Ward, Nick Blackman,  Kevin McDonald, Harry Maguire, Dominic Calvert-Lewin, Jamie Murphy, Che Adams. I won’t include David Brooks as that’s this season.

40 odd on that list. Compared to about 10-12 on the Wednesday one. So just a comparison for you. 

I can’t actuallt believe you think most clubs sell players and they drop down the leagues. It’s us who’ve always made wee wee poor short term signings.

34 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

So here you go, United by comparison. One or two might be generous. On the other hand I’ve misses off at least half a dozen I could have included. 

Remember it’s players that carried on playing at the same level or above for at least a couple of seasons. Ours for the most part go down the leagues and fast. I’ll miss a few off as not sure if league one or championship.

Marcus Bent, Phil Jagielka, Georges Santos, paul peschisolido, Patrick Suffo, Micahael Brown, Carl Asaba, Dean Windass, Robert Page, Billy Sharp, Andy Gray, Simon Francis, Stephen Quinn, David Unsworth, Paul Ifill, Ade Akinbiyi, Steve Kabba, Claude Davis, Colin KazimRichards, Mikele Liegertwood, Ahmed Fathi, Kyle Naughton, Kyle Walker, David Cotterill, Rob Hulse, James Beattie, Michael Tongue, Matthew Lowton, Matthew Kilgallon, Brain Howard, Paddy Kenny, Leon Britton, Darius Henderson, Mark Yeates, Jamie Ward, Nick Blackman,  Kevin McDonald, Harry Maguire, Dominic Calvert-Lewin, Jamie Murphy, Che Adams. I won’t include David Brooks as that’s this season.

40 odd on that list. Compared to about 10-12 on the Wednesday one. So just a comparison for you. 

I can’t actuallt believe you think most clubs sell players and they drop down the leagues. It’s us who’ve always made wee wee poor short term signings.

Fair enough that’s one club. We all know United have produced better players in recent history.

But that reminded me... if you’re going back that far you forgot Alan Quinn, Derek Geary, Leigh Bromby who all went on to play Premier League football for the Pigs.

Plus i’d include Marcus Tudgay who had three seasons at Champ level with Forest when he left us. 

We were also financially crippled before Chansiri took over. We simply didn’t have the money to spend, so we relied a lot on loans throughout the noughties to keep us going. And we were quite shrewd in the loan market. Goalkeeper wise we went through a few years of loaning keepers. Likes of Weaver, Carson, Turner and Crossley all did us good. Out field the likes of Barkley, Wickham, Fryatt, Marshall, Eagles, Watson, Kavanagh, M. Johnson off the top of my head all did well for us at a time we were skint. 

And i’d also argue we made some decent signings who probably peaked at Wednesday. Semedo, Buxton, Reda, Llera, JJ- no world beaters but proved good signings for cheap fees.

I don’t think it’s a particularly alarming or worrying statistic. For all those United players mentioned, some of them were bang average and crap. What do they have to show for it? One season in the PL where they came straight back down. 

Plus i’d go as far as adding players like Wood, Beevers and Spurr going by some of the names on that United list. They have all had decent careers at Champ/Lg 1 level. 

If Chansiri would actually sell players we’d have a few who’d go on to play at a higher level or at the same level for years to come. 

I just don’t really get the argument trying to be made. We’ve made shocking signings but we’ve also made some pretty decent ones. Same applies to a lot of clubs.

12 hours ago, jonesy87shef said:

Not sure its a great comparison really .. i could pick out some more players that would probably surprise us, that have either played at a decent level or for lower league teams. There's a lot on that list of United players that went to lower league clubs but played a lot of games as opposed to same or higher level

it happens with all teams ..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Not sure its a great comparison really .. i could pick out some more players that would probably surprise us, that have either played at a decent level or for lower league teams. There's a lot on that list of United players that went to lower league clubs but played a lot of games as opposed to same or higher level

It's a nonsense argument the more I think about it. Some of the United players listed hardly had fantastic careers once leaving the Blades. Claude Davis was shocking, Mikele Leigterwood? Come on. Paul Ifil? FFS.

Unless you're a club like Peterborough who are well known for finding good players and selling them on, I'm sure we are no different to a host of other clubs. Fact is if you have decent players chances are you want to keep them. 

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

It's a nonsense argument the more I think about it. Some of the United players listed hardly had fantastic careers once leaving the Blades. Claude Davis was shocking, Mikele Leigterwood? Come on. Paul Ifil? FFS.

Unless you're a club like Peterborough who are well known for finding good players and selling them on, I'm sure we are no different to a host of other clubs. Fact is if you have decent players chances are you want to keep them. 

This was the tweet. It’s not a nonesense argument and please don’t patronise me when I’ve actually supplied evidence. 

We signed absolute rubbish for 2 decades. The majority of those signings slid down the leagues. I’ve proved this and compared us to our neighbours.

The only way to go about you actually listening would be to list every premier league and championship teams outgoings from players they have signed. Which of course would take me days to do:

Do you actually think we’ve signed well compared to other clubs and improved players? Evidence points otherwise.

If you’re being incredibly generously, on average one player per season manages to maintain playing at this level after leaving us. That’s a joke.

There are obviously lots of reasons why, but hardly anyone does well after leaving us. We don’t improve players.

39671C7B-A509-4721-AD64-0EBA54D1E758.png

1 hour ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Yes tgey evebtualky drop down, but most on that list carry on several years st championship or higher. Ours when leaving drop like stones. That’s the point of it.

In general we’ve signed mainly shockers and old journeymen and haven’t improved hardly anyone. 

My original post was in reply to the tweet above this post.

I’ll ask you this. In comparison to most clubs at this level and above. Have our signings since 2000 gone on to play higher level or maintain that level more frequently than that other teams. 

4 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

This was the tweet. It’s not a nonesense argument and please don’t patronise me when I’ve actually supplied evidence. 

We signed absolute rubbish for 2 decades. The majority of those signings slid down the leagues. I’ve proved this and compared us to our neighbours.

The only way to go about you actually listening would be to list every premier league and championship teams outgoings from players they have signed. Which of course would take me days to do:

Do you actually think we’ve signed well compared to other clubs and improved players? Evidence points otherwise.

If you’re being incredibly generously, on average one player per season manages to maintain playing at this level after leaving us. That’s a joke.

There are obviously lots of reasons why, but hardly anyone does well after leaving us. We don’t improve players.

39671C7B-A509-4721-AD64-0EBA54D1E758.png

Because our academy has been neglected? We all know the problem we've had developing youngsters because it was an area we didn't bother with for ages. Now that's changing so perhaps we will see us produce some good players who have solid careers in the future.

As for not improving players, we did have a habit of signing ageing players on their way down, but again I don't think that's unusual for a cash strapped club. 

You say you've proved this, but failed to take into account the players I mentioned above. We've signed some rubbish, but we've also made some good signings who excelled for us. Yes perhaps they didn't go on to greater things, maybe because they enjoyed the best part of their careers at Wednesday? Again, I bet that's not unusual.

Just now, jonesy87shef said:

Yes tgey evebtualky drop down, but most on that list carry on several years st championship or higher. Ours when leaving drop like stones. That’s the point of it.

In general we’ve signed mainly shockers and old journeymen and haven’t improved hardly anyone. 

I’ll ask you this. In comparison to most clubs at this level and above. Have our signings since 2000 gone on to play higher level or maintain that level more frequently than that other teams. 

Exaggeration. 

Just now, jonesy87shef said:

i get where you are coming from but Patrick Suffo? Ade Akinbadbuy? Kabba? Rob Page? Ahmed Fathi? Kilgallon?Mark flipping Yeates?? Nick Blackman was a loanee wasn't he?? There are a lot on that list that didn't have a higher career ..

some of those players go back to days when we had the likes of Donnelly and O'Donnell etc ...

its just such a broad comparison to make .. and all clubs have the same i reckon

In my opinion of course ...

• Thanks 1

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

Because our academy has been neglected? We all know the problem we've had developing youngsters because it was an area we didn't bother with for ages. Now that's changing so perhaps we will see us produce some good players who have solid careers in the future.

As for not improving players, we did have a habit of signing ageing players on their way down, but again I don't think that's unusual for a cash strapped club. 

You say you've proved this, but failed to take into account the players I mentioned above. We've signed some rubbish, but we've also made some good signings who excelled for us. Yes perhaps they didn't go on to greater things, maybe because they enjoyed the best part of their careers at Wednesday? Again, I bet that's not unusual.

It’s not about academy, but I’ll give you that it was terribly neglected. The whole reply was based on the tweet saying players do better after leaving us, when in reality they do downhill and down the leagues fast. Mainly because they were never good enough or were short term signings. 

Yes we did sign aging players. That’s my part of the point. I’m not looking for reasons why. There are numerous reasons why. I’m criticising the recruitment. 

Even if you went on to lose another half a dozen the point still remains. I bet it’d still be much lower than the average clubs.

You mentioned Tudgay who went on to make a whopping 50 appearances for Forest. He was poo for them and then dropped down the leagues too.

We have signed a few good players, but this is since 2000! I’m saying on average we recruit awfully. 

It’s clearly a big reason why we spent most our time battling relegation from this league. 

I wouldn’t know where to look but I’d bet it’d be very telling if we took our 5 record sales and compared them to the sides that spent the most time in the prem and championship since our relegation.

Is ours still Brunt at £3million? Pathetic 

8 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Do they drop, or is it more a case of us being their career highlight?

Weve had to take chances on some terrible guff over the years.

Both. But why should we be their career highlight?

A club that’s been in league one several years and manly played at the bottom end of the championship. 

If the standard of player brought in can’t maintain championship football after leaving us then it says a lot about our recruitment and coaching.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jonesy87shef said:

It’s not about academy, but I’ll give you that it was terribly neglected. The whole reply was based on the tweet saying players do better after leaving us, when in reality they do downhill and down the leagues fast. Mainly because they were never good enough or were short term signings. 

Yes we did sign aging players. That’s my part of the point. I’m not looking for reasons why. There are numerous reasons why. I’m criticising the recruitment. 

Even if you went on to lose another half a dozen the point still remains. I bet it’d still be much lower than the average clubs.

You mentioned Tudgay who went on to make a whopping 50 appearances for Forest. He was poo for them and then dropped down the leagues too.

We have signed a few good players, but this is since 2000! I’m saying on average we recruit awfully. 

It’s clearly a big reason why we spent most our time battling relegation from this league. 

I wouldn’t know where to look but I’d bet it’d be very telling if we took our 5 record sales and compared them to the sides that spent the most time in the prem and championship since our relegation.

Is ours still Brunt at £3million? Pathetic 

Every clubs signs some guff though! Even Alex Ferguson signed more guff than quality in some people's eyes.

We all know we've been poo for years and that reflects in our recruitment, but amongst that I think we found some solid footballers who did us good in a time where we couldn't splash money. Buxton, Reda, Llera, JJ, Lee, Bannan, Tudgay, Brunt, Whelan, Bullen, Loovens, Burton off the top of my head all cost peanuts or nothing and improved us and did a good job. Didn't make us millions but still will be looked back on fondly by most Wednesday fans.

Fair play on Tudgay, but then you can't come at me with the likes of Paul Ifil and Patrick Suffo lol

As for 3m for Brunt, we were desperate for cash. We could have fetched a lot more otherwise.