Worst 10 Sheffield Wednesday players of all time

On 07/12/2012 at 19:12, torryowl said:

you could pick loads of players who just played one or two games who were terrible but for being consistantly hopeless over say 30 games ish i'll go for

1westwood

2west

3 jeffers

4holsgrove

5usher

6downes

7galvin

8nichol

9armstrong

10 srnicek

Steve nicol wtf 

It depends on your view of "worst player".

Does that mean:.

lack of skill.?

Lack of fitness.?

Attitude.?

Affect on the team.?

Affect on the team performance.?

Then you have to look at players like:

Steve Downs.

John Holsgrove.

Fred Mciver.

Bobby Brown.

Andy Hinchliffe.

Jonk.

bedillde.

Jonk

Dicanio.

Di Piero. 

The list is endless

6 hours ago, swfctc1 said:

Steve nicol wtf 

I was at Steve nicols debut at Goodison Park and he was absolutely immaculate.

obviously at tail end of his career but a superb player.

9 hours ago, folger said:

Darren Purse is the worst player I've ever seen. His name on the team sheet guaranteed we were 0-1 down before KO. Jeffers and Bothroyd wouldn't score between them in a 40 odd game season.

Wasnt Purse basically shafted by the likes of wood, spurr and a few others being total knobends with him? Seem to remember that wood was stripped of captains armband when purse signed. Innresponse to this, some of the players basically hung purse out to dry and made things hard for him. Was a decent enough CB before signing for us by all accounts. 

Chris Carr, Jon Beswetherick, Kim Olsen, Ola Tidman, Chris Adamson, Richard Evans, Ashley Westwood.

For attitude I would put Gerald Sibbon alongside Jay Bothroyd and Adam Proudlock. Worst thing about Sibbon was we couldn't get rid of the waster for absolutely ages, cost us a fortune we couldn't afford to lose.

22 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

Adamson

Tidman

Price

Beswetherick

A Westwood

Barry Murphy

Olsen

Corr

Carr

Blondeau

Agree with most of this ..

this thread has a lot of disappointing players for sure ..

but there are many classed as worst player when all they are were disappointing. Jonk, De Bilde, Hinchliffe etc ...

Likes of Tidman, Westwood, Maddix, Phil Scot, Steve Adams, Beswetherick, Barry-Murphy etc were all poor players

On 17/11/2018 at 19:08, owls-swfc said:

I'd go to specsavers pal,  the goal at man Utd came from a mistimed shot from his knee/shin and was one of the most comedic goals I've ever seen... 

No chance mate, siggi johnson struck it into the ground yes but Colin West scored with a diving header, im not saying its the best ever goal but i love it,think it was late in the game and our fans behind the goal go mental. 

Just copy and pasted what I wrote in a thread the other week. For about 20 years most our players have been sh*t. This is with regards to players improving when signing for us and going on to do better. Thought it’d fit well in here and explain partly why we can list so many players.

This, mostly players massively regress under us.

Whether that’s down to quality of the coaching. Tactics. The fact that anyone half proven we sign is coming into the twilight of their career so it’s alresdy on the decline. Who knows.

Considering we will have have hundreds of players of the last couple of decades it is frightening how few have gone on to play consistently at a higher level or even been good solid championship regulars.

I’ve just quickly checked signings since our relegation from the premier league. These are the only ones I could find who played at a higher level consistently or even continued at championship level. We really have signed some utter garbage for 20 years.

Kuqi, Holt, Brunt, Whelan, Antonio, Grant, Madine, Maghoma, Morrison, Clarke.

Even looking at the list aboube there are mainly pretty bang average championship players. 

Our recruitment and our coaching has been up there with the worst in the country for far to long. There’s no evidence to show this is changing either except for the youth coaching.

21 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

Just copy and pasted what I wrote in a thread the other week. For about 20 years most our players have been sh*t. This is with regards to players improving when signing for us and going on to do better. Thought it’d fit well in here and explain partly why we can list so many players.

This, mostly players massively regress under us.

Whether that’s down to quality of the coaching. Tactics. The fact that anyone half proven we sign is coming into the twilight of their career so it’s alresdy on the decline. Who knows.

Considering we will have have hundreds of players of the last couple of decades it is frightening how few have gone on to play consistently at a higher level or even been good solid championship regulars.

I’ve just quickly checked signings since our relegation from the premier league. These are the only ones I could find who played at a higher level consistently or even continued at championship level. We really have signed some utter garbage for 20 years.

Kuqi, Holt, Brunt, Whelan, Antonio, Grant, Madine, Maghoma, Morrison, Clarke.

Even looking at the list aboube there are mainly pretty bang average championship players. 

Our recruitment and our coaching has been up there with the worst in the country for far to long. There’s no evidence to show this is changing either except for the youth coaching.

Madjid Bougherra didn't do too badly after leaving us either. A season and a half at Championship level with Charlton and then three seasons at Rangers before heading over to Qatar for a last big payday.

3 minutes ago, CraigSGM said:

Madjid Bougherra didn't do too badly after leaving us either. A season and a half at Championship level with Charlton and then three seasons at Rangers before heading over to Qatar for a last big payday.

Thought about including him, he had so much potential. Think I judged him harsher than others because he was that good and imo like the majority of players we’ve had for 20 seasons he regressed.

2 hours ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Agree with most of this ..

this thread has a lot of disappointing players for sure ..

but there are many classed as worst player when all they are were disappointing. Jonk, De Bilde, Hinchliffe etc ...

Likes of Tidman, Westwood, Maddix, Phil Scot, Steve Adams, Beswetherick, Barry-Murphy etc were all poor players

Yep, along with Paul Smith and Richard Evans many of them struggled to find another league club after leaving!

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

Yep, along with Paul Smith and Richard Evans many of them struggled to find another league club after leaving!

I can remember Paul Smith from Hartlepool was it? Injured for most of his career here - just checked, 2 seasons, injured for much of the 2nd and ended up retiring after :(

Evans, didn't we sign him from Birmingham .. handful of games, than that was that!