Most memorable Wednesday match?

Guest markowl123

Guest Athelstan

Wednesday 5 Man U 4. I remember the Green 'Un headline "Whitham Hat Trick In 5-4 Triumph" It later came to light Jack Whitham scored 4 but one of them went in off Nobby Stiles on the goal line. Ritchie scored the other one. Many Sheffielders were still on holiday as it took place on 28th August 1968, I believe. It was only a few months after Man U had won the European Cup beating Benfica 4-1. Fantastic day!

The BDM and the semi against the pigs come fairly close but when you consider the great names that were in that Man U side that day, it was a brilliant result and performance by the super Owls. Best, Law, Charlton etc.

Too right.

2-2 after 20 minutes and Man U 4-2 up at half time.

Great game - MASSIVE comeback.

Blackburn league cup semi away 93...4-2 and the best football I will ever see Sheffield Wednesday play..The home return leg game was incredible too and won 2-1 with Nillson hitting his own post from 20 yards.

or the 3-3 away at Derby in FA quarter final..The Baseball Ground was always an amazing away game.

Guest dave jones n.1

Last season v the pigs at hillsbro, there was so much riding on that game and the way they bottled it was priceless!

For me it's the 2005 play-off final. It had everything. The excellent first half-performance culminating in the goal before half-time and then the party thinking we were already up. The horror of Hartlepool's 2 goals, the thought of another season in League One, that penalty (still one of the most nerve-wracking moments of my life) and the performance in extra time and Drew Talbots goal to seal it followed by amazing scenes.

I'll never forget that day.

Honourable mentions to the Wycombe and Pigs games last season, some of the victories over Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool in the 90's and most Derby wins.

1993 was memorable but I was still a young armchair fan at the time due to my dads work commitments so couldn't make any of the games, so I've not included them.

Was at most of the above, well the post 1980 ones but one thats not been mentioned was the FA Cup QF replay against Burnley not my first game but the the one that stands out as my first memorable game. 5-0 if my memory serves me right the atmosphere that night was the best I had witnessed in my early Wednesday supporting career.

Guest Ozzieowlpelvicthrust

Too many to mention.

Interms of vivid recollections got to be the 93 FA Cup Final. Remember the journey down in a min-metro with my Dad, reading Shoot and Match magazines and just thinking we've made it, cup final and all. Set off at 5:00am and must have been first in the Wembley car park. Remember the Wednesday coach arriving and players reactions, recall being hugged by a wednesdayite after Hirsty equalised... Also the sadness that we didn't really got for it that day after the equaliser, the game was there to be won.

Chelsea 4-4, 3-0 up at ht, they bring a sub on called Paul Cannoville, scored after 20 seconds of the re start and went on to get a hat-trick and Chelsea led 3-4 only for Zico to get a last gasp pen to make it4-4 it was surreal that night.

Obviously the cup finals a and semis will also stand out too, but another one was when Andy Blair scored a hat trick of three pens against Luton Town.

Liverpool away when we won 2-0 with Varadi and Shelton scoring.

Chelsea 4-4, 3-0 up at ht, they bring a sub on called Paul Cannoville, scored after 20 seconds of the re start and went on to get a hat-trick and Chelsea led 3-4 only for Zico to get a last gasp pen to make it4-4 it was surreal that night.

Obviously the cup finals a and semis will also stand out too, but another one was when Andy Blair scored a hat trick of three pens against Luton Town.

Liverpool away when we won 2-0 with Varadi and Shelton scoring.

Did Cannoville get 3 that night ?

I was in the car at 3-4 down when i heard on the radio we had been awarded a pen I jumped out of the car (my Mum had come to pick me up) and ran up the back of the kop to peer over the fence to try and see Zico score the equaliser.

Wednesday 5 Man U 4. I remember the Green 'Un headline "Whitham Hat Trick In 5-4 Triumph" It later came to light Jack Whitham scored 4 but one of them went in off Nobby Stiles on the goal line. Ritchie scored the other one. Many Sheffielders were still on holiday as it took place on 28th August 1968, I believe. It was only a few months after Man U had won the European Cup beating Benfica 4-1. Fantastic day!

The BDM and the semi against the pigs come fairly close but when you consider the great names that were in that Man U side that day, it was a brilliant result and performance by the super Owls. Best, Law, Charlton etc.

grrrrrrrr I was damn it

This. Me and my dad were in the uncovered seats that night and my dad got into an argument with a Man Ure fan on the way out who said we were lucky barstewards. Thought my dad (big steel worker!) was going to knock him out but he ran off. Amazing night. Our Jack was on fire that night.

It was a sunny Saturday afternoon. We drew 1-1 the season before which was a night match.

I went to all the Wembley games of the 90's

But for some reason the game I always remember was beating Newcastle 4-2 at hilsborough in the 83/84 promotion season, 42,000 in the ground , I was standing on a star lit open kop and we were back after all the years of hurt , after the start of the counter offensive under big jack amd tuen the organisation of wilko Unforgettable.

Edited by Geedee