Owen Coyle

People also said jones was uninspiring and a lot of people didn't warm to the idea.

I've given up trying to predict whether a manager will be good based on their track record because other than getting us up last season, jones has really struggled since and he has the best cv out of our managers in the last decade. Brian laws and sturrock have done the best job since and their cvs weren't as impressive.

At least we know Coyle wouldn't be needing a total overhaul because he likes passing football.

2 x perhaps in one sentence - does this mean they cancel each other out and DJ will get f**k all - haha - only joking.

The point I indicating towards is that the chairman has to be happy with the manager and I think you know why...otherwise GM wouldn;t be sat in his garden.

Poor English on my part! But yes it's clear they get on whether that friendship is worth 6m or so is another thing.

Guest arobert

I have to say that Sturrock did have a good track record.

Success at St Johnston and promotion at Plymouth Argyle.

Owen Coyle is very similar in success at St Johnston and promotion at Burnley.

I have to say that Sturrock did have a good track record.

Success at St Johnston and promotion at Plymouth Argyle.

Owen Coyle is very similar in success at St Johnston and promotion at Burnley.

Yeah, I think you could liken Bolton to Sturrock at Soton too. But managerial changes are a lottery at all times, look at Chelsea and all their glitzy managers. So in trying not to pre judge any one. I just feel the team needs someone to get a reaction from them and when the fans have become sick it affects the whole club.

Someone who doesn't use owlstalk and is friends with Billy Mercer has just texted me saying Coyle will be our next manager.

Edited by pops55

if there is a manager out there more bland than DJ, it has to be Owen Coyle. I'm not a fan; would prefer to keep DJ.

I have got a mate who is a Bolton fan who couldn't stand Coyle.

Says he is a poo manager.

Yes he got Burnley promoted but sometimes it happens that the right players come together at the right time and things happen. Then the manager gets all the credit.

But like Dj.

Guest Lawrie Maddens Hump

So, Lets say that one of these managers come in as suggested then as soon as the sh*t hits the fan everyone wil be looking for a new one.

But that won't address the woeful lack of eye Dj has for spotting talent.

No mate - according to DJ and MM we were signing quality and not quantity. Actually some of the players do come quite well referred - but is the manager extracting their true potential? or just putting them through the stalls and then playing them in the wrong position come match day?

I had the opportunity to observe Bolton in pre season training and the first thing that struck me what a decent bunch of players they had for the championship - 2nd thing was how ragged and low intensity their training was. Then they did some positional play and working on formation and it was as basic as you will ever see - the way they set up was a team of about 7 players (their reserve/squad players) who would spend a short time working the ball forward then knocking it forward to Bogdan - then the tactic was for Bogdan to roll it to Zat Knight and he then proceeded to launch the ball forward as far as he could - sometimes straight for a Davies knockdown - other times diagonal for Eagles, Chung-Yong or Wylde to scamper after - it was pretty ridiculous. Also, one of my friends on the trip was a good mate with an injured Bolton player and we were all having a natter and he was really scathing of the way things were at Bolton.

I then went to watch them in a pre-season friendly at Falkirk and they were awful - truly awful. It finished 1-1 and Falkirk fielded almost their entire youth team for much of the 2nd half. I think overall it was a fair result but Falkirk definitely held sway 1st half and Bolton probably edged the 2nd

We said then that if Bolton don't shape up considerably then Coyle would be toast.

It can't be overlooked what he did at Burnley but maybe that was his "Danny Wilson at Barnsley" time.

I would sincerely hope if we do part ways with Jones that we aim a lot higher - but i've always felt that and i've always been out of step with many Wednesday fans who happily settled for utter turd like Turner simply because "he can't be any worse" than his predecessor...

Edited by scram

I had the opportunity to observe Bolton in pre season training and the first thing that struck me what a decent bunch of players they had for the championship - 2nd thing was how ragged and low intensity their training was. Then they did some positional play and working on formation and it was as basic as you will ever see - the way they set up was a team of about 7 players (their reserve/squad players) who would spend a short time working the ball forward then knocking it forward to Bogdan - then the tactic was for Bogdan to roll it to Zat Knight and he then proceeded to launch the ball forward as far as he could - sometimes straight for a Davies knockdown - other times diagonal for Eagles, Chung-Yong or Wylde to scamper after - it was pretty ridiculous. Also, one of my friends on the trip was a good mate with an injured Bolton player and we were all having a natter and he was really scathing of the way things were at Bolton.

I then went to watch them in a pre-season friendly at Falkirk and they were awful - truly awful. It finished 1-1 and Falkirk fielded almost their entire youth team for much of the 2nd half. I think overall it was a fair result but Falkirk definitely held sway 1st half and Bolton probably edged the 2nd

We said then that if Bolton don't shape up considerably then Coyle would be toast.

It can't be overlooked what he did at Burnley but maybe that was his "Danny Wilson at Barnsley" time.

I would sincerely hope if we do part ways with Jones that we aim a lot higher - but i've always felt that and i've always been out of step with many Wednesday fans who happily settled for utter turd like Turner simply because "he can't be any worse" than his predecessor...

I will be open minded about anyone at the moment but as I say it is a lottery. Jones just doesn't seem to want to take responsibility and its really winding me up.

The post about the training is worrying mind.