Pubs near the Sheffield Wednesday ground that have shut

49 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Whereabouts was it

Not sure the name Swiggys comes to mind but I might be wrong. My memory was that it was somewhere up middlewood road on the left as you were leaving Hillsborough. Once again I could be miles out

9 minutes ago, Justbeanz said:

Was it the one on Middlewood Rd across from the park ? Wasn't it called Swiggy's ?

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Swiggys - that name rings a bell

Typing previous reply as you guys typed yes that's the one

3 minutes ago, Justbeanz said:

I know it wasn't a pub but anyone remember the Chuck Ranch on Holme Lane. Burger place a bit like Uncle Sam's. Spent many a Friday night in there after a sesh in Hillsborough or Stannington.

That had an 'interesting' fire I remember

Owlstalk Shop

18 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Think Swiggys used to be called Goat In Boots Wine Bar

Yep ....... Swiggys was one of the many “wine bars” that appeared in the 80’s which took advantage of the more relaxed licensing hours for such establishments, eg if a communal free chilli or curry was available on the bar then it could stay open every day till 1am and all day Sunday.

Very often it was empty at 10:30pm and packed by 11pm ........ The clientele was interesting..... happy days!

1 minute ago, casbahowl said:

Yep ....... Swiggys was one of the many “wine bars” that appeared in the 80’s which took advantage of the more relaxed licensing hours for such establishments, eg if a communal free chilli or curry was available on the bar then it could stay open every day till 1am and all day Sunday.

Very often it was empty at 10:30pm and packed by 11pm ........ The clientele was interesting..... happy days!

Was it on the corner where the cafe is now?

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Was it on the corner where the cafe is now?

No mate, where the closed down Chinese restaurant now stands opposite the library.

Remember being in there one Sunday night when 2 groups were vying for the right to control the drug distribution in the area when a couple of lads burst in and fired a sawn off into the air bringing part of the ceiling down ...... was open again 2 days later!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

No mate, where the closed down Chinese restaurant now stands opposite the library.

Remember being in there one Sunday night when 2 groups were vying for the right to control the drug distribution in the area when a couple of lads burst in and fired a sawn off into the air bringing part of the ceiling down ...... was open again 2 days later!

lol

Christ..  bet that was an interesting night..

Owlstalk Shop

I guess, due to location, most of these pubs and bars were deemed as “Wednesday pubs” so what about pubs in town? When I first moved to Sheffield, certain pubs in town were considered Wednesday or United pubs Don’t recall any of the Wednesday ones, but there were a couple of United ones in Pond St, that were to be avoided

41 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I guess, due to location, most of these pubs and bars were deemed as “Wednesday pubs” so what about pubs in town? When I first moved to Sheffield, certain pubs in town were considered Wednesday or United pubs Don’t recall any of the Wednesday ones, but there were a couple of United ones in Pond St, that were to be avoided

There used to be 9 bars on Wicker. All Wednesday, the Big Gun being a real stronghold.

Only 1 of the 9 left now,

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

The Claymore at the bottom of Roxy’s ramp was a proper Wednesday pub ........ The Sunday football team, all Wednesdayite’s, was called “Snakebites” as it was the only pub in town that would sell that particular mix ....... all the others declared it “loopy juice”!

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

The Claymore at the bottom of Roxy’s ramp was a proper Wednesday pub ........ The Sunday football team, all Wednesdayite’s, was called “Snakebites” as it was the only pub in town that would sell that particular mix ....... all the others declared it “loopy juice”!

Oh yeah, dangerous Can remember it being Wednesday pub, aside from one time when we played Man Utd, when the Donny Reds got there first