Pubs near the Sheffield Wednesday ground that have shut

Used to drink a lot (often not volume....well both really) in the Cuthbert Bank. 

We were chatting away one Saturday lunchtime with some Chelsea fans. They’d been good fun and friendly. Around 2.15, all finishing our final pints, one of them said “right, which one of you wants a fight?”.

He looked and sounded like a bigger version of Eric Bristow, who told us “I’m gonna dent your ‘ead”.

We declined his kind offer.

17 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Used to drink a lot (often not volume....well both really) in the Cuthbert Bank. 

We were chatting away one Saturday lunchtime with some Chelsea fans. They’d been good fun and friendly. Around 2.15, all finishing our final pints, one of them said “right, which one of you wants a fight?”.

He looked and sounded like a bigger version of Eric Bristow, who told us “I’m gonna dent your ‘ead”.

lol

Owlstalk Shop

22 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 10.35.35.jpg

Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 10.36.15.jpg

Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 10.37.17.jpg

Owlstalk Shop

In the eighties pubs closing never even entered my mind . I thought they'd been there and would be there forever . In the latter end of the eighties the pubs I used to go into were all being refurbished they were doing so well . Then not much more than a decade later they were disappearing at a rate of knots for flats , supermarkets , old age homes . Industry gone , even if it was still there you would get the sack for having a pint at dinner . I miss the eighties , not least that I was a teenager lol

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, cross owl said:

In the eighties pubs closing never even entered my mind . I thought they'd been there and would be there forever . In the latter end of the eighties the pubs I used to go into were all being refurbished they were doing so well . Then not much more than a decade later they were disappearing at a rate of knots for flats , supermarkets , old age homes . Industry gone , even if it was still there you would get the sack for having a pint at dinner . I miss the eighties , not least that I was a teenager lol

The monopolies commission broke all the breweries up and the manged houses were then a thing of the past. The bigger and better attended pubs would subsidise the ones doing not so well. This was the downfall of the pub trade and then along came Enterprise Inns and pillaged further what was once a good trade and living.

The landlord's of managed houses used to be on a great number and more often than not ran great establishments

Just now, soldierboyblue said:

https://www.closedpubs.co.uk/yorkshire/sheffield.html a decent website which gives a bit of background around the ale houses which have closed in each postcode

Fab - thank you

Also definitely worth giving our sister website a shout out - https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk

Full of pubs, working mans clubs, nightclubs and everything else Sheffield based

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

ET_FogHWoAEnOoo.jpg

For older readers - The Victoria pub on Penistone Road 

Anyone know where this was?

It was where Lily's is now. 

Between Swan Norton and Hillsborough Park.

Virtually across from Bassetts. 

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 12.46.24.jpg

Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 12.46.08.jpg

Christ - nearly forgot The Old Blue Ball on Hillsborough Corner!

How could I forget this amazing place..

Had some proper nights out there too

lol

Definitely . Me and my mates rarely went into the town centre pubs , it was The Crown as you got off the bus on Penistone , Old Blue Ball , The Shakespeare before its name was bastardised to the Shakey then the Riverside and back again , last bus to Roxys and the job was a gooden :ghoulguy:

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

ET_FogHWoAEnOoo.jpg

For older readers - The Victoria pub on Penistone Road 

Anyone know where this was?

If my memory serves me right last time I went in there was for a lunchtime wedding reception . Went straight to match after against bristol city I think it was John pearsons debut 81ish ?.

• Like 1