Pubs near the Sheffield Wednesday ground that have shut

Most of the pubs on Penistone Road went under due to the industries shut down over the years, match days was a bonus for these places, but when the Mon-Fri crowd went, the boozers soon followed..

i remember as a kid going in the Middlewood Tavern on home games, chip buttie an a Shandy.....Melvyn Sterland days

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

AE53F616-3426-4FDA-87DA-29D7383D93AF.jpeg

Brings back memories, used to love going in there before games and popping into the Gate next door. I did hear a rumour that Wetherspoons had attempted to buy it before Sainsbury's took over, not sure how true that was though. Such a shame though because it was a great atmosphere in there.

• Like 2

On 30/11/2012 at 21:59, sheffieldblue said:

Penistone Road used to have The Royal Lancers, The Old Lighthorseman, The Rose, The Sportsman and The Victoria. All gone now. There cant be many major sporting arenas with so few pubs anywhere near them

My old man was the landlord at the Royal Lancers in the mid 1970s.  Live music every Saturday and Sunday nights.  Used to be packed by 8 p.m.  Spencer Clarks foundry kept it going in the week.  Guys from there could drink a pint without it touching the sides! 

• Like 2

On 30/11/2012 at 12:53, horny owl said:

Every time I pass the BeeHive and see its a f00kin Tesco it makes me want to cry.

Was in there one afternoon years ago, two birds kicked off at each other, tats all up the arms, like Sumo wrestlers, pint glasses, snooker balls etc. Reyt afternoons entertainment. Always make me think of that and chuckle when I go in.lol

Edited by marshy

31 minutes ago, Johnny Concrete said:

Brings back memories, used to love going in there before games and popping into the Gate next door. I did hear a rumour that Wetherspoons had attempted to buy it before Sainsbury's took over, not sure how true that was though. Such a shame though because it was a great atmosphere in there.

Used to go in both in the late 90's, mainly The Gate. Looking back I seem to remember the Travelers being the older building of the 2 and seems a bit strange that they would open 1 bang next door in that area. Does anyone know the history of the two? So many pointless questions spring to mind with little else to do! :bullen: 

On 30/11/2012 at 12:53, horny owl said:

Every time I pass the BeeHive and see its a f00kin Tesco it makes me want to cry.

10 minutes ago, marshy said:

Was in there one afternoon years ago, two birds kicked off at each other, tats all up the arms, like Sumo wrestlers, pint glasses, snooker balls etc. Reyt afternoons entertainment. Always make me think of that and chuckle when I go in.lol

They were at it again yesterday morning.:wacko:

I think one of 'em had just grabbed the last pack of toilet rolls.WTF:

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Used to go in both in the late 90's, mainly The Gate. Looking back I seem to remember the Travelers being the older building of the 2 and seems a bit strange that they would open 1 bang next door in that area. Does anyone know the history of the two? So many pointless questions spring to mind with little else to do! :bullen: 

To be honest I always thought the Travs was a listed building so they couldn't knock it down, evidently not though! I always preferred the Travs myself. Towards the latter part of it being there I was remember Karaoke nights with Driftin Dronfield, supposedly fun for all the family, but it pretty much turned into him getting absolutely plastered, singing Turning Japanese and verbally abusing anyone who walked through the door lol

Edited by Johnny Concrete
  • Haha 2

Guest Grez Bez

Used to go in the Rose as a kid. Chip butty with lashings of ketchup.

Also loved the Travs and Gate, such a shame these went. They were the biggest losses for me.

Problem now is that there's that not many places to go unless your at Hillsborough corner.