Pubs near the Sheffield Wednesday ground that have shut

2 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

Masons was my favourite, when Bob and Lottie had it, but usually went in Burgoyne and Cuthbert as well.

We used to stay around Hillsborough Corner and booze (still do now) in the Shakey and Ball. Last proper local I had in Sheffield was the Gate. There will never be a pub quite like it ever again

• Like 4

Guest Ferkorf
1 minute ago, soldierboyblue said:

Only ever used to go in when Wheeney had it. We used to go in sporadically over the years but never called it a local

We were the same, only ever went when wheenie had it mainly after home games via trickshots. Used to get the bus with the lads from there to away games aswell.

1 minute ago, soldierboyblue said:

We used to stay around Hillsborough Corner and booze (still do now) in the Shakey and Ball. Last proper local I had in Sheffield was the Gate. There will never be a pub quite like it ever again

Spent many a night in the Shakey and the Ball, also in the Masons on the bridge, when Big George, Naseem and co were often on the doors.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chilli said:

Yeah,

I usually pass the Anglers at the weekend when visiting the mother-in-law 🐉and noticed it seemed shut (it was one of the few pubs that closed for the afternoon at 3pm even before the lockdown).  The Last Post across the road has been closed for a while and is now a convenience store.

Used to go with the Anglers a few times myself during the early 90's.  I think they still run a minibus to away games (well, they did before the shutdown!!)

where's the last post?

9 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

where's the last post?

Sorry, got the name wrong; it was called the Last Orders (appropriately, since it's now shut!!).  I don't know if it was previously called the Ship before that.

7 hours ago, Chilli said:

Yeah,

I usually pass the Anglers at the weekend when visiting the mother-in-law 🐉and noticed it seemed shut (it was one of the few pubs that closed for the afternoon at 3pm even before the lockdown).  The Last Post across the road has been closed for a while and is now a convenience store.

Used to go with the Anglers a few times myself during the early 90's.  I think they still run a minibus to away games (well, they did before the shutdown!!)

Last Orders (Ship before that) is now a Premier shop.

Anglers Rest may* reopen in September. Geeves Brewery who leased it were jacking it in this month anyway having given a years notice. Hopefully new Tennant's will have real ale on and it'll be a Wednesday pub yet again.

Guest Therealrealist
1 hour ago, Grez Bez said:

What is where the Blue Ball used to be now?

An overgrown emty space..looks a right mess

On 22/08/2020 at 21:06, soldierboyblue said:

The mans a buffoon and has done the same to many of his landlords. Sam Smiths is like weasel ******** though 

My parents used to run a Sam Smiths pub in Rural North Yorkshire.

They weren't allowed to play any music, have any Fruit Machines, even do advertising, including an A-Board outside the pub, this was about 15-20 years ago.

Sam Smith's had largely been a family brewery, with an history of eccentric owner's, despite being a Millionaire many times over, the owner would often walk his dog with a piece of string tied around it's collar, to save having to buy a proper lead.

• Like 2