Pubs near the Sheffield Wednesday ground that have shut

36 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

The rather strange exterior colour plan of the Burgoyne came about when Wheeny decided to have the pub painted blue & white. He employed a couple of the locals who were in between jobs in exchange for beer.

Typically he underestimated the amount of white paint required and fell well short.

Fortunately the council were painting double yellow lines on Langsett Rd at the time and the council lads used to call in for a pint at lunchtime & after work. A conversation was had & a deal done to supplement the shortfall of white paint with council yellow line issue.

Wheeny then claimed he'd had it painted in his favourite Wednesday away colours!

True story

lol

That's just amazing

ha ha ha ha

I love your stories. Some right classics in there mate

Owlstalk Shop

19 hours ago, Wrightyowl said:

Burgoyne (Inn, Arms?) just before Kelvin Flats.

Went there for a few jars & ended up getting my first ropey tattoo a few doors down, near Langsett Cycles, Hells Angel's place, full of dangerous looking people.

Barmaid looked EXACTLY like Kate Bush.

Went back a couple of times to try & chat Kate Bush up.

No chance.

Mmmmmmmmmm Kate's Bush.

The Coronation cafe on the same side on Lansett Rd (possibly nearer town) was the Hells Angels meetup place in the early 70s.

They also used to hang around in the Mustard Seed cafe at the back of the Peace Gardens.

1 hour ago, S A Andy said:

The Coronation cafe on the same side on Lansett Rd (possibly nearer town) was the Hells Angels meetup place in the early 70s.

They also used to hang around in the Mustard Seed cafe at the back of the Peace Gardens.

Can anyone remember the Tangerine Cafe on Leppings Lane? It was open 24 hours, and where we’d meet up to plan tactics for the arrival of opposition fans

3 hours ago, S A Andy said:

Coronation Cafe - Infirmary Road? Whereabouts was it on there?

Owlstalk Shop

Is the Railway still open? What’s the one opposite called if it’s still there? 

Not been up there for a while drinking before games. After the travs closed use to go in the Pheasant for a while then stuck to Hillsborough corner and The Park 

Just now, owl84 said:

Is the Railway still open? What’s the one opposite called if it’s still there? 

Not been up there for a while drinking before games. After the travs closed use to go in the Pheasant for a while then stuck to Hillsborough corner and The Park 

The New Bridge Inn

Both still open

Owlstalk Shop

On 07/04/2020 at 14:35, Wrightyowl said:

It was the tattooist that was Hell’s Anglesy, not the boozer.

I can’t really recall the clientele of the Burgoyne.

I was to transfixed with Kate Bush/Wheeny pouring my Stoneses.

I take it this was the Welsh Chapter ?