Gerald Sibon

Guest RocketOwl

To say we paid £2m for him and paid him a fortune he was poo pooe!

Any other £2m striker in the league at that time on his wages would have pissed all over him

What about Giles 'I love dogs' De Bilde ? He was much worse & I think we paid more for him !

That volley at Derby away was worth 2 million!

What a goal that was - potentially his best. That game could've kept us up if we'd have won it ... Still can't believe to this day that we drew 3-3.

Guest FanthamOfTheOpera

The poor folk who rates Sibon should be pitied because they've seen no better in an Owls shirt. He was typical of the poor/dire signings of that time. Sure he had flashes of quality, but to compare him with many of the team we'd had in the previous ten years is silly. He wouldn't have made the squad of 89-93

Hang on.....

Who has compared him to the squad of 89-93?

Have you actually read this thread?

Those sticking up for Sibon have repeatedly contextualised it by saying he was the one bright spark in a dreadful team, at an awful point of our history; this point has been stressed over and over again. I haven't seen anyone saying he was better than Waddle or Hirst.

Seems like "the poor folk" who can't read a thread properly "should be pitied".

I loved Sibon. Yes he was never worth £2m but that's not his fault is it. Yes he was overpaid but that's not his fault is it. He didn't really cut it in the prem probably came too soon for him (later performances with PSV and Ajax prove he could play at the top) but he was a top championship player. Trouble was no one else playing with him was. So when he played a great ball and no one was there to collect he looked gash as though he had passed it to no one. He used to ping crosses from one end of the pitch to the other with ease and his daisy cutters were immense. The volley at Derby in the 3-3 draw was quality as was his goal against the blades. He probably got fed up and didnt try as hard as he could but you can understand his head dropping when you have craig armstrong and jon beswetherwick playing alongside you. Had to let him go in the end as couldn't afford his wages again not his fault. Had we survived that season i think he would have grown into the prem. Last of the greats to play for wednesday along with Rudi and Jonk.

No matter what you thought of Sibon, he played for the club in a dark, poignant and soul destorying period.

He was the only reason watching Wednesday in that time period was worthwhile. He was a class act, genuine Premiership quality.

It is not his fault he was bought during the decline. Most foreign players take a while too adapt and settle in a new country. Has Sibon been playing alongside Carbone, Di Canio, Sheridan, Hirst etc he would have been immense.

I salute the guy. He is a hero of recent times.

Any player who would go drinking with that tail Owen Morrison shows just what he thought of the club and more importantly us the fans...no matter how much talent you have got if you disrepect our club you deserve no accolades

Last week at work I met a dutch bloke. We started chatting football and somehow got onto Gerald Sibon. This guy was from the same town as Sibon and played youth football with him. Any hoo, he said Sibon smoked 20 fags a day throughout his career. He also said Sibon only ever speaks favourbly about Wednesday. I have too admit as a youngster he was the only glimpse of quality I saw on a Saturday. Its such a shame we didn't have Sibon in a better team. The poor bloke has Efan Ekoku and Terry Cooke alongside him. Those were dark dark days, we were so poor we used too get a free kick on the half way line and the band would start the oh la la sibon song as we were frothing at the mouth that we may get a shot. I feel for Sibon, remember Craig Armstong??? Basically even though we lost eleven games on the bounce, our team now comapred too them says is streets ahead. Hendon, Maddix,Westwood and Barry Murphy. Quite unbelievable that was a championship defense.

Our record run of defeats was set under Paul Jewell and lasted 8 games.

I remember an article on him in the fanzine war of the monster trucks which said " Ajax fans labelled Sibon the white Kanu - However this must have been meant in the joking sense sort of like the way you call your 6ft 10 mate titch." Just remember we may have paid £2m for him but that's not as bad as paying £3m for DeBilde!!!

If my memory serves me correctly, he was on fire and I was getting giddy about him taking the Mick out of pigs at Lane and we got rid two days before the game.

Same game Daryl Powell and Karl Robinson made their debuts. Think Quinn scored for us in 3-1 defeat.

Sibon was decent and on his day unplayable. He only had about 4 of those days, but overall I found him hugely entertaining.

We had Carl Robinson. Different bloke to Karl Robinson who is now MK dons chief. Just thought I'd clear that up.

Guest OsiinAlnwick

Seems like "the poor folk" who can't read a thread properly "should be pitied".

You may be right that my life doesn't allow me to study each thread thoroughly, but my point still stands and you need to get out more. He was a poor signing in a dark and depressing time and I hope none of us ever have to watch his like again.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

1) His last home game wasn't Forest, it was Reading, won 3-2.

2) He never played for Ajax in the CL in his 30s, PSV maybe.

3) He showed some fantastic touches and scored some cracking goals but on the flip side there was times he was down right gash and in the PL he was out of his depth, not his fault, he also made the cardinal sin of throwing his shirt down on the floor.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

disrespect the club? he made the effort to comdm and watch us at dobbo and hdm wer tellin me he wer gutted to be fooked off,sed he wud av signed on again for lot lower wages but the club dint mek him an offer

In English?

Guest Darkus Owlus

Good player in one of our worst teams ever, went on to play in the Champions League, he was quality, he needed quality around him.

We even used him as a forward sometimes, good player, awful team.

I remember a game at Walsall which we were winning 2-0 with a couple of minutes to go and win a free kick at the edge of the box. I remember thinking that this was nailed on for Sibon to score. Sure enough he ambled in of a couple of yard run up and nailed it into the top corner. Quality.

He was by far the best player in years of drivel.

Sibon typified Wednesday at that time,hit and miss,mostly miss,he was the luxury player in a ten bob team,he could thread a 50 yard pass or fluff a 5 yard push.

He was entertianment good or bad,you never knew what kind of game he was going to play.Hed never make my all time greats,but he gave me some great memories during some torrid years.

If that's the game I'm thinking of it was the coldest I've ever been at a football match. Did we win 3-2 and Sibon scored a beauty from outside the area?

It was that cold I had to have a sit down pi55 at half time!

Your correct. I think it was against Reading though not Forest. Alan Johnston was on loan with us and also scored i believe.

Guest richjones19772000

In a team of headless chickens Sibon was a breath of fresh air and a respite from the relentless steaming turd his teammates would produce every week, he would spray 50 yard passes across the pitch at a time when the rest of the team would struggle to find each other from five yards. Unfortunately there were many in the stands who wanted him to join in with the aimless running about his teammates excelled at, labouring under the ludicrous misapprehension that 'running lots=good' and 'not running lots=bad'. These are the same people who booed Bothroyd after two games. These are the same people who booed Sheridan. These are the same people whose knuckles drag along the floor when they pop into the Banker's Draft at 10am for Carling breakfasts every day.

But don't cry, Gerald.

media_xl_694712.jpg

I loved ya.

THIS THIS THIS, perfect!