Gerald Sibon

Guest RocketOwl

Am I reading this correctly

Is this the same Gerald Sibon that we paid around 2 million for to do a job in the premier league?

The same Gerald Sibon that was utterly useless in that division, he could easily rival Thomas Brolin as the worst striker to play in the premier league?

We signed him to do a job in the PL and he failed miserably. He was also utter poo pooe until Birmingham City at home after he pleaded with the fans not to boo him for his consistently shocking performances

Why we didn't accept Sunderlands 4 million bid for him is still one of lifes mysteries that'll never be answered

It just goes to show how crap we've been that we have fans who say the likes of Gerald SIbon and Derek Geary were their favourite players of all time.

Guest Teetowl

I remember his last game that season at home to Nottingham Forest. It was boxing day so I think we must have sold him in January. However he was instrumental in that forest game, scored a double, work rate fantastic and it felt like the shoots of recovery were happening. Then we sell him, and we never recovered. Very poor decision.

If that's the game I'm thinking of it was the coldest I've ever been at a football match. Did we win 3-2 and Sibon scored a beauty from outside the area?

It was that cold I had to have a sit down pi55 at half time!

Absolutely correct. As I remember he was sold about 8 games before the end of the season. He was top scorer and created many of our goals that season. I remain convinced we would not have gone down had he stayed.

he wasnt sold ,he was released as we couldnt afford to pay him.went to heerenveen who then sold him on to psv for 750,000 euro another cracking bit of business by the turner/allen regime .

Guest RocketOwl

There was 4 months of the season left, I'm sure we lost more money via relegation. Should have sold kuqi instead. Sibon played during a horrific era, however he had so much class he could have played for a top top team. Some Wednesday fans just cannot see quality.

There was 4 months of the season left, I'm sure we lost more money via relegation. Should have sold kuqi instead. Sibon played during a horrific era, however he had so much class he could have played for a top top team. Some Wednesday fans just cannot see quality.

dont think to many doubt his quality its his ticker that was the promble ....

Perhaps more than any other player, Gerald Sibon shows the judgemental, binary 'logic' of the modern football fan. Either he was a misunderstood genius carrying the team alone on his shoulders as he was surrounded by dross or he was a lazy, hapless clubfoot who could hardly walk, never mind play. Make your choice and do so without qualification or equivocation.

But in my opinion, he was both of these things and neither. His form varied wildly and you never knew what you would get. Clearly he was often guilty of not wanting to get involved too much but equally, his talent level was way beyond anyone else in the team at that time. So how do we rate someone like him in retrospect? I'm not sure, but I suppose it would have to hover somewhere around the slightly above average.

Guest tha_knows

Always remember seeing him and Owen Morrison puffing away on a 20 deck in Foxhill Road snooker club. I liked Sibon because he could always pop up with something spectacular even if he was playing gash, sure it was Reading at home, we were losing 2-0 and he practically turned the game round on his own, we won 3-2.

Always remember seeing him and Owen Morrison puffing away on a 20 deck in Foxhill Road snooker club. I liked Sibon because he could always pop up with something spectacular even if he was playing gash, sure it was Reading at home, we were losing 2-0 and he practically turned the game round on his own, we won 3-2.

QPR... Saw him in Brannigans after a heavy defeat away at Wimbledon, *** in mouth, one in his hand and a bottle of Jack. Quality

Guest FanthamOfTheOpera

In a team of headless chickens Sibon was a breath of fresh air and a respite from the relentless steaming turd his teammates would produce every week, he would spray 50 yard passes across the pitch at a time when the rest of the team would struggle to find each other from five yards. Unfortunately there were many in the stands who wanted him to join in with the aimless running about his teammates excelled at, labouring under the ludicrous misapprehension that 'running lots=good' and 'not running lots=bad'. These are the same people who booed Bothroyd after two games. These are the same people who booed Sheridan. These are the same people whose knuckles drag along the floor when they pop into the Banker's Draft at 10am for Carling breakfasts every day.

But don't cry, Gerald.

media_xl_694712.jpg

I loved ya.

Sibon was a quality player & I totally agree with the people saying he didn't shine as much as he could've done as he played with some horrificly bad players. He was a game changer, a match winner & somebody who resembles Berbatov. I'm not saying he was as good as him, far from it, but Sibons style and skill was similar to the Bulgarian's ... Man Utd fans called him lazy & overrated, Spurs (and no doubt Fulham fans) call him a genius.

Guest RocketOwl

Its clear we have more Sibon lovers than haters, which is good as it means we have more fans who know their stuff than don't. Sibon was not even that lazy in the Championship. He was in the Premiership.

Guest OsiinAlnwick

The poor folk who rates Sibon should be pitied because they've seen no better in an Owls shirt. He was typical of the poor/dire signings of that time. Sure he had flashes of quality, but to compare him with many of the team we'd had in the previous ten years is silly. He wouldn't have made the squad of 89-93 and even before that his attitude would have had him kicked out of the dressing room.

It's a measure of how far we've fallen when the likes of Gerald Sibon is remembered with affection. He typified the depths to which we were falling and have yet to recover.

To all those Sibon fans I can only hope you get a chance to see how good we can be.

Hero or Horse??

i think half the problem he had was his footballing brain was miles in front of his team mates, so when he played a ball to where he thought a team mate should be there was nobody there as thay were still running in the opposite direction. this made poor old Gerald look gash!.

he did score some great goals but as above he did look gash a lot of the time

Guest RocketOwl

No matter what you thought of Sibon, he played for the club in a dark, poignant and soul destorying period.

He was the only reason watching Wednesday in that time period was worthwhile. He was a class act, genuine Premiership quality.

It is not his fault he was bought during the decline. Most foreign players take a while too adapt and settle in a new country. Has Sibon been playing alongside Carbone, Di Canio, Sheridan, Hirst etc he would have been immense.

I salute the guy. He is a hero of recent times.