Toughest no nonsense tackler in Wednesday's history ?

Guest zico sterland

Zico once saw him put Mark Dennis {so called footie hard man },bang into south stand wall,when Dennis got up like an angry Jack Russell mighty Mel just puffed out his chest and off Dennis scampered, pure class.

Have to say that Tony Kay was a rough, tough little illegitimate. Once saw him put Maurice Setters into the wall bottom just after the match started. Kept Setters quiet for the rest of the match, but the toughest was Norman Curtis. He never shirked a tackle, took on the biggest, and I only ever saw him not get up immediately after the tackle, and that was because he had broken his leg.

However, the one man nobody thinks of being a tackler, was the man who commanded his 6 yard box like a colossus - Ron Springett! He wasn't afraid, once he'd made the shout of 'MINE' to trample ANYBODY under foot, and that included his own defenders!

I remember once when jack Charlton was playing and had developed the habit of standing immediately in front of the Keeper.One particular moment was when L****s had a corner,and Ron appeared to be the meat in a sandwich of Charlton in front and Swan behind. the ball came in, a shout of 'Mine' was heard, Ron came away with the ball and left Charlton in the back of the net on one side, and Swanny in the opposite corner. Charlton never tried the trick with Ron again.

Edited by Buxtongent

Guest thurnscoe

Graham Pugh anyone?

One of the original small midfield bullies (as I remember.....)

Agree with Ken Knighton, Mick Lyons, Pembo also could put a tackle in as well.

Has to be Graham Pugh for me too, complete nut case