Toughest no nonsense tackler in Wednesday's history ?

Guest OsiinAlnwick

Jeff Johnson. He could run all afternoon, make make a number of crunching tackles, score a 30 yarder, yet still run of the pitch and be half way through his third pint in the Pioneer Club in Dronfield before I could get out of the north stand. That was some guy. My hero!

I used to love Mark Bright, I know people will say he doesn't fit the criteria, but Mark could be a nasty piece of work when he wanted to, and on top of that, he was a 20 goal a season striker.

I remember Mark Bright playing at Hillsborough with Palace, Lawrie Madden had been giving him a good going over all game, and Brighty was giving some back too, Lawrie slid into a tackle with Bright and won the ball fairly, Bright still standing studded Madden on the chest, Madden was clearly hurt but got up and was able to play on, Brighty carried on as though nothing had happened, I thought there and then, we need a player like Bright, not only was he a great striker, he'd got that bit of nastiness about him too. To my great delight, we signed him not long after.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

I remember Hirsty nearly putting Martin Keown (For Everton) in the south stand with a well timed challenge lol with the words "Gerrup ya soft cnut" as Keown was laid on the sideline.

Zico liked a good tackle but has to be Mick Lyons, a fearsome opponent for any opposing forward.

Graham Coughlan, didn't he get his teeth smashed out during one tackle? Guy Branston was pretty hard but was quite dirty. Bullen used to put a good tackle in whislt Andy Pearce just had a good tackle. Im gonna go with peter atherton.

Coughlan nutted a goal in with his nose against West Ham in the Cup, hard as nails

I just missed seeing Kay play,but i saw Swan,he was the toughest for me,man,ball and anything in between he was just ruthless,and put em on thier arse in the gravel.

Ken Knighton was tough too,he came from Hull with a bit of a rep,certainly lived up to it,but my old fella always said none of em compared to Curtis,he called him the beast,and he ate wingers for breakfast that put one or two in the stands!