Players missing chances

We are having a rubbish run, there is no denying that.

Jones is coming in for some stick, some warranted some not.

However, Jones can't control what the players do when on the pitch. It's not his fault when Llera gets a free header he puts it wide or when Madine does the some, or when Antonio shoots wide or plays his cross too deep or when Barkley shoots wide.

Fine margins at the minute and nothing seems to be dropping for us.

However, Jones can't control what the players do when on the pitch. It's not his fault when Llera gets a free header he puts it wide or when Madine does the some, or when Antonio shoots wide or plays his cross too deep or when Barkley shoots wide.

Spot on.

Last night, I don't think we hit the target (or at least anything of note) yet had four clear cut chances that should have brought at least one goal.

Its a godawful run - but nothing is going our way either - typical of these kind of runs

We didn't create any real chances last night, Robinson had no real shot to save all night.

Antonio - fantastic pull down, woefully shot wide

Llera - free header from corner or free kick - headed wide.

Buxton - steamed into the box and blazed over when should have done better.

There's 3 off the top of my head - chances we created but didn't capitalise on

I'm not sure its about luck, or things dropping our way to be honest, I think its down to quality and confidence.

If we were hitting posts and crossbars, or at least forcing the opposing keeper to make saves, I'd say we are being a bit unlucky, but we're not doing any of that.

There is nothing unfortunate about Antonio running through on goal and somehow missing by about 6 yards, that is down to a lack of composure, and a lack of quality, as it has been when he and JJ get in behind full backs and pass the ball staright to a centre half or into the keepers hands.

We are making good openings, and good chances, and we are wasting them Sunday league style, thats all down to the individuals, they have to make their own luck.

Edited by leea8331

Guest MrsGoggins

Antonio - fantastic pull down, woefully shot wide

Llera - free header from corner or free kick - headed wide.

Buxton - steamed into the box and blazed over when should have done better.

There's 3 off the top of my head - chances we created but didn't capitalise on

We had 3 shots on Target and two of them were little taps towards Robinson.

We had 3 shots on Target and two of them were little taps towards Robinson.

I'm not talking about the shots on target - I'm talking about the chances we made and should have done better with. Normally you'd expect one of those 3 to be a goal considering on who had them

Looking at the stats on the BBC we had 12 shots and 6 corners.

3 attempts were on target, that is one of the major problems, not Jones.

I'd class that as 18 opportunities in an attacking area, with a return of just 3 on target. You then have to beat an ex-england goalkeeper if you do get it on target.

Bottom line for me is the players need to do better in terms of composure and quality on the ball.

Guest Leeswfc3

No he physically cant make them do things, but we aint going to change a full squad, the reality is it's easier to get rid of the manager, not saying its right but its true.

I'm not sure its about luck, or things dropping our way to be honest, I think its down to quality and confidence.

If we were hitting posts and crossbars, or at least forcing the opposing keeper to make saves, I'd say we are being a bit unlucky, but we're not doing any of that.

There is nothing unfortunate about Antonio running through on goal and somehow missing by about 6 yards, that is down to a lack of composure, and a lack of quality, as it has been when he and JJ get in behind full backs and pass the ball staright to a centre half or into the keepers hands.

We are making good openings, and good chances, and we are wasting them Sunday league style, thats all down to the individuals, they have to make their own luck.

Good post. But Jones had the close season, that's why automatic promotion was so important, to get in front of other clubs to sort out the quality players (his words not mine). Look who he brought in - have they proved their quality. Did HE bring them in? Then again, as I said in another post - how much did we spend? Amongst us, I wonder, are we focusing on the right area?

No he physically cant make them do things, but we aint going to change a full squad, the reality is it's easier to get rid of the manager, not saying its right but its true.

When are we going to stop with the short term view though? I still believe we are good enough to stay up, that will do me for this season, I said that in the summer as well.

When are we going to stop with the short term view though? I still believe we are good enough to stay up, that will do me for this season, I said that in the summer as well.

the trouble is mate, that the majority see us not staying up and as time goes on that gap between survival and drop will get harder and harder to close. Fortunately we have Ipswich and Peterborough back-to-back coming up buts it what the clubs above do that we should be watching. Isn't it depressing though when you see Huddersfield up there?

Good post. But Jones had the close season, that's why automatic promotion was so important, to get in front of other clubs to sort out the quality players (his words not mine). Look who he brought in - have they proved their quality. Did HE bring them in? Then again, as I said in another post - how much did we spend? Amongst us, I wonder, are we focusing on the right area?

Thats one of thie biggest disappointments, the club openly stated that quality would be the focus rather than quantity, and what we have assembled is the exact opposite, a huge mediocre squad, yes he did bring them in himself, apparently, although I will never accept that Jones signed Pecnik.

We brought in a lot of players, but I fear a lot of them were our 2nd or 3rd choice targets in some areas because we were priced out by other clubs i.e Leeds signing Norris.

I dont know if thats because we genuinely couldn't compete financially, or because we've tried to do this on the cheap, but either way we've fallen some way short.

Thats one of thie biggest disappointments, the club openly stated that quality would be the focus rather than quantity, and what we have assembled is the exact opposite, a huge mediocre squad, yes he did bring them in himself, apparently, although I will never accept that Jones signed Pecnik.

We brought in a lot of players, but I fear a lot of them were our 2nd or 3rd choice targets in some areas because we were priced out by other clubs i.e Leeds signing Norris.

I dont know if thats because we genuinely couldn't compete financially, or because we've tried to do this on the cheap, but either way we've fallen some way short.

i said to a mate of mine who lives in Sheffield, not on here, a few months ago that I doubted MM was ready to invest in the quality of players needed in the Championship. i see this more and more and January will be deciding factor for me. If they do not spend in January - and I think they will need to - it will send alarm bells ringing. We should remember we are approaching the winter months and an increase in injuries.

I understand what you are saying and it's annoying what was said in the summer, it's annoying being in the position we are in but I do believe we've not had the rub of the green.

Look at last night, Gardner and Bothroyd out with niggles, two players who looked very tidy on Friday night.

It's depressing the life out of me at the minute being a Wednesday fan but I still can't help but feel we have a very very capable manager in Dave Jones and I fail to see who would be a better, sensible and realistic replacement.