The curious case of Chris Maguire

Guest Sheff Owl

Guest Sheff Owl

Chris Maguire on Joining...

"I'm delighted to be here at Sheffield Wednesday.spacer.gif It's a massive club and I'm looking forward to getting started," said Maguire.

"I wasn't really given a chance there (at Derby) and needed a fresh start and thankfully Wednesday have given me that.

"I want to show everybody at Sheffield Wednesday what I can do and hopefully they will give me the credit when I'm doing well. I just want to help the team and help the club move forward.

"I hope to bring a bit of creativity, chip in with a few goals and set up a few as well. The main objective for now is to work hard in pre-season and get the best start we can."

Dave Jones on Chris Maguire..

“He’s young. We watched him when he was playing for Portsmouth on loan last season and we think he’s a good young player,” he said.

“He likes a shot. He can play off a front man or run wide. I think he’s got a lot of potential that we can work with.

“This is nothing detrimental as regards Derby but I think he’ll enjoy working with us.

“Your back four and your midfield have to be fairly rigid but as much as possible we’ll give him the licence to play.”

I can't believe that for a fee around 300k the guy can't get on the bench, i know we don't have much money and have to be sensible but it just seems such a waste.

The whole situation does seem very strange, i mean i doubt he was brought in as a development player and had watched him so it's not like we knew nothing about him and i guess Maguire probably got the impression he would at least be involved in some way but it just seems he has a regular seat up the stands.

Edited by Sheff Owl

Guest Sheff Owl

The thing is you tell the Chairman/Paul Aldridge you want Chris Maguire and they do their best to get the deal done, which they do at a cost and then he is nowhere to be seen..i wonder if MM has asked what's going on with him especially after spending a decent fee on him..

Then again that's all if he was a Dave Jones signing..

Guest foreverSWFC

The way we're treating him is disgraceful IMO.

What the flip has he done wrong? A quality player, Derby fans were gutted that they let him go, why spend 300k on a player and not even have him in the squad?

Sometimes DJ's decisions and thinking baffles me. Beevers out on loan to a Championship rival? Lee not ready etc? O'Grady only good off the bench? All the hype surrounding Rodri and Pecnik? Maguire seemingly forgotten?

Very annoying.

Guest Sheff Owl

It's not like we haven't watched him we have and Dave Jones admitted this, so we know about him yet it's like all of a sudden we have decided he is pants and might as well chuck him on the scrap heap.

If he was free i guess you could slightly understand it but we paid a decent fee for him.

The way we're treating him is disgraceful IMO.

What the flip has he done wrong? A quality player, Derby fans were gutted that they let him go, why spend 300k on a player and not even have him in the squad?

Sometimes DJ's decisions and thinking baffles me. Beevers out on loan to a Championship rival? Lee not ready etc? O'Grady only good off the bench? All the hype surrounding Rodri and Pecnik? Maguire seemingly forgotten?

Very annoying.

What do you mean by this bit mate? Is it a disgrace the way we are treating Rodri as he's in the same position as Maguire? Eventually Maguire will get his chance.

Guest foreverSWFC

What do you mean by this bit mate? Is it a disgrace the way we are treating Rodri as he's in the same position as Maguire? Eventually Maguire will get his chance.

We've lost 7 out of 8.

Rodri, Bothroyd and Madine have all been given chances and have underperformed. Maguire hasn't been given a look in, not started a League game and not even on the bench, whilst other strikers in the squad have been poor for us. He should have at least made his League debut for us by now, which IMO is disgraceful considering the monumentally poo poo run we are on.

After the way he was treated at Derby, bet he's absolutely gutted with the situation he finds himself on here.

We've lost 7 out of 8.

Rodri, Bothroyd and Madine have all been given chances and have underperformed. Maguire hasn't been given a look in, not started a League game and not even on the bench, whilst other strikers in the squad have been poor for us. He should have at least made his League debut for us by now, which IMO is disgraceful considering the monumentally poo poo run we are on.

After the way he was treated at Derby, bet he's absolutely gutted with the situation he finds himself on here.

Maybe there's an undefined reason for him not being in the squad?

I'm with DJMortimer on this one, 'oh we are doing poo so lets through someone else in as he cant do any worse than so and so'

Is this just another example of almost anyone not in a struggling team being a 'chuck him in - he can't be any worse' miracle solution for someone who can't come up with something a bit more imaginative or discerning?

What would you suggest that is more imaginative or discerning?

Guest Sheff Owl

Is this just another example of almost anyone not in a struggling team being a 'chuck him in - he can't be any worse' miracle solution for someone who can't come up with something a bit more imaginative or discerning?

Where have i said just chuck him in?

The guy can't get a friggin look in yet what are the rest of the Strikers doing? apart from O'Grady.

We pay 300k or so for Maguire and just seemed to have chucked him on the scrap heap, it's not like we are flush with money.

But you know what yeah fine lets not look at something different and keep going like this.

I have DCFC fans in my family and they laughed/thanked me for us buying him...if that helps

Really? My Derby mates were gutted he had gone, said he hadn't been given a proper chance to show what he could do but had looked a decent player.

He backed this up when he went to portsmouth on loan... enough said.

Needs to be given a chance imo.

Guest Sheff Owl

I'm with DJMortimer on this one, 'oh we are doing poo so lets through someone else in as he cant do any worse than so and so'

Again yeah i have said lets just chuck him in.

Guest foreverSWFC

Maguire looked sharp against Fulham in the cup and was one of our best performers in pre season. Yet he's being completely ignored? We are doing shvit and when you're doing shvit it's time to try something or someone different, Maguire for me is the answer. Deserves a chance.

flip me just want to see him play, he is a quality player an is being treate like dog poo at the moment.

What would you suggest that is more imaginative or discerning?

Every single game is one of billions of variables. Part of the problem is that people treat football like it's one of those chess puzzles in the newspapers - white wins in six moves. It simply isn't like that and never will be.

Fans will continue to do what they always do - see what's not being done and insist that's the solution. It could be a change of formation, position, player or manager. If that doesn't work they pretend it was a stupid idea all along and one they never agreed with.

You need to get it out of your head that there is somehow an easy answer to everything.