Our midfield concerns me

Strange situation, he is a class act, no doubt about that, brilliant player and gonna be a quality premier league player in a few years

BUT...

We havent won since he came to us, and it seems like we are trying to build a team to fit him in, he struggled playing in a 2 so we switch to 4-5-1

It would be sad to see such a class player go back, but for the sake of the team, would it be a good thing?

Strange situation, he is a class act, no doubt about that, brilliant player and gonna be a quality premier league player in a few years

BUT...

We havent won since he came to us, and it seems like we are trying to build a team to fit him in, he struggled playing in a 2 so we switch to 4-5-1

It would be sad to see such a class player go back, but for the sake of the team, would it be a good thing?

I presume you are talking about Barkley here Trev? If so, then I wouldn't be opposed to sending him back if we needed to to free up the funds to recruit a more experienced and effective midfielder but, as I stated in my above post, I think that Lines may well be the key to our midfield.

The midfield wasn't bad yesterday I agree. How long can we keep defending them though if they keep playing well but create nothing. First half I thought we looked good but then second half we sat back again and let them play. I really thought Hull were there for the taking and they hardly had to work for the 3 points.

Guest Big Guns

Yesterday the team came out up for it and played at real pace for the first half hour

Slowed after that though

Second half was really slow in pace

If we had kept up the pace and tempo of the first half hour we would have won

How do you watch the game and take millions of photos at the same time.

Our midfield was ok yesterday

I fully agree and you will have seen that I am in the minority in being encouraged with yesterday's team performance, however, it appears to me that, currently, to have any effect in midfield, we are having to play three in there. I believe that we have to go back to two in the middle long term and I hope we can do this sooner rather than later - maybe when Lines returns.

We are accomodating Barkley and yes he is very talented but he has to have 2 defensive minded players in with him as he is unwilling to do the defensive work.

First half he did well getting back, this allowed Semedo to sit nad cover his fullbacks. Once McCabe went off and Barkley stoppped tracking Semedo had to come out of position to press earlier leaving a big hole behind him, meaning he could no longer cover the fullbacks.

Buxton could cope but with Antonio tiring, being our main outlet and used the majority of the time, it's no surprise he was tired. Mattock was exposed and suffered.

Creatively we need to up the tempo and have options but the midfield in general is too deep. I belive they are too deep because of our lack of pace at the back, the defense is playing deep. If the midifeld move further up we are going to have a gap that could easily be exploited. Having a pacey centrehalf would allow them to come 10-15 yards further up, this in turn allows the midfield to move up and all of a sudden we have a proper unti that would allow more creativity as the forward(s) would have instant support.

Guest Bedders

Yesterday the team came out up for it and played at real pace for the first half hour

Slowed after that though

Second half was really slow in pace

If we had kept up the pace and tempo of the first half hour we would have won

Not fit enough by the looks of it.....Grenna woods needed!!!

How do you watch the game and take millions of photos at the same time.

Same way some of you turn up late (pissed), leave early before half time, come back late from half time, leave before final whistle and spend the entire time you ARE in the ground waving your hands around at the West Stand like fannies instead of watching the game

Ta

Owlstalk Shop

i agree

we haven't provided a good balanced and defensive midfield in front of the back four

you look at Huddersfield - Norwood, Clayton and Southern - 3 experienced and reliable performers that provide a defensive shield in midfield - not to mention that Norwood chips in with a few goals

ours is so lightweight and there is no protection at all

this needs to be addressed BIG TIME

i agree

we haven't provided a good balanced and defensive midfield in front of the back four

you look at Huddersfield - Norwood, Clayton and Southern - 3 experienced and reliable performers that provide a defensive shield in midfield - not to mention that Norwood chips in with a few goals

ours is so lightweight and there is no protection at all

this needs to be addressed BIG TIME

Nail on head.

Switch Semedo for Derry and bring in a real, experienced Championship creative player (possibly in Jan). That way you can put McCabe and Barkley on rotation and add some steel, experience and class into the middle of that park.

At the minute Semedo isn't cutting it IMO and the other too are far too inexperienced to be playing in the same 3.

At the moment we seem to sit far too deep and are getting dominated by the opposing teams in there.

Unfortunately the centre of the park is where games are often won and lost in this league... and we aren't fairing too well at the minute

Guest TheMassiveDude

I agree with the general consensus on Barkley. He has flashes of brilliance and may be one to watch in the future but that's just it, struggling as we are we need experience which unfortunately he does not have. I like McCabe and feel he is literally still getting used to the squad that as we know changes on a weekly basis!

I would love for Treacy to come back but it seems unlikely to be honest. Lines would fill the void we have but I find it unlikely he will get played. Not only does he have to get match fit once his injury has been fully overcome, he has to fight his way back in to a ever changing squad. If he achieves this (I sincerely hope he does) then he has then got to hold a regular starting place which seems impossible at the moment unless your surname is Bothroyd....