Our midfield concerns me

Guest swfcadz

we look to slow getting forward at times was a good performance in first half 2nd half was well was crap to watch we had no threat upfront whatsoever hulls players glided through our players cause they were no tackles or anything hull arent the best of teams but was very easy for them

Barkley seems to have something about him and might one day make a good player for Everton, Whatever DJ thinks he is adding to our team at the moment I just don't see it - some promising runs but never any end product. I'd not be upset if his loan was not extended.

I thought that the midfield was a car crash against Hull. Semedo, Barkley and McCabe were often in each others way. With a little more space, Barkley would have made an even greater impact.

Playing Bothroyd on the right was bizarre. His touch, manoeuvring and vision were excellent - but wasted at the halfway line on the right.

What we need is Lines in the side alongside Semedo. We then need to see if that partnership can work in the Championship. They know and trust each other and, more importantly, have worked well together and have an understanding of ech others' game. We could possibly then move away from three in the middle and back to two. Lines will bring the same or more than the combined contribution of McCabe and Barkley imo. We can then go back to 4-4-2. That is no slight on the young lads though as the are still finding their way in football and could very well end up as better players than Lines but not now.

I think ppl are being a bit harsh on McCabe. For me he's been the shining light this season. He's involved in a lot things and for a young lad has fantastic composure. Yes he makes the odd mistake. The problem is that him, Barkley and Semedo need to be playing and that is why we're playing the system that we are. Like as been said the only problem is that none of them are driving forward like Lines does. Lines will give us more balance when he's back, but who gets left out.

I totally agree with the no service for the strikers tho. I was hoping that Mayor was going to be that player to fill that void, but he seems to be another one that "isn't" ready, despite coming on from the bench and doing well

Guest JC Saviour

Playing 451 at home is baffling. This smacks of the fact even at home DJ is going for a point. The midfielders (apart from a couple of runs by Barklay) are sitting far too deep to lend support to COG. He was a 1 man band up front today. Bothroyd having his best game up to now is totally wasted out wide. The distance bewteen the 3 ranks (forwards, midfield and defence ) is where our problems lie. Not one of these ares are prepared to assist oneanother.In other words, defenders defend on their own with no assistance from any other area of the team. Poor tactics, wrong mentality.

I think that biggest problem our midfield has is that likes of Barkley and McCabe doesn't see enough of the ball. Actually I think that we are on our best when these two are involved.

Treacy's not getting a game at Burnley, get him in on loan DJ. Need some ammunition!

Or even Ross Wallace.

These two are great, but how about Robbie Brady ?! Fantastic player who can play on either wing, had fantastic season last year with Hull, and is right now turning for Man Utd reserves. Could be just what we need.

Playing Bothroyd on the right was bizarre. His touch, maneuvering and vision were excellent - but wasted at the halfway line on the right.

not only that but both wide men were often hugging the touch line, leaving way too much space between what should have been a front three

when we were in posession

in general our movement off the ball left a lot to be desired and made it far too easy for hull to close us down

Some of the football 'experts' on here were screaming for us to get rid of Lines

He gets injured

We are 100% worse in midfield without him

Same people - screaming at Reda and giving him serious grief earlier this season

Reda gets injured

We are 100% worse at left back without him

Same people - screaming cos they don't like Buxton and want him dropped

Buxton goes out of the team

We are 100% worse at right back

Same people - want Madine out of the team (and the CLUB)

Madine goes out of the team

We end up with no goals being scored

Same people - massive Rodri fans and want him in the side before Madine despite him not scoring goals, and same people who went mental with excitement when Bothroyd joined, then boooed him off and abused him on twitter

flipping

MENTAL

No offence people - but I'd rather trust Dave Jones every single day of the week than some of you 'experts' out there

ok ?

Ta

Owlstalk Shop

I think ppl are being a bit harsh on McCabe. For me he's been the shining light this season. He's involved in a lot things and for a young lad has fantastic composure. Yes he makes the odd mistake. The problem is that him, Barkley and Semedo need to be playing and that is why we're playing the system that we are. Like as been said the only problem is that none of them are driving forward like Lines does. Lines will give us more balance when he's back, but who gets left out.

I totally agree with the no service for the strikers tho. I was hoping that Mayor was going to be that player to fill that void, but he seems to be another one that "isn't" ready, despite coming on from the bench and doing well

I don't think it is harsh. I've been constructive, I don't see anyone slating Rhys or being abusive. McCabe is clearly a very talented laddie and I've been impressed with how well he has slotted in and adapted to Championship football, but unfortunately he just hasn't been making an impact and that is stretching back a number of games now. His set pieces aren't good enough, they're nearly always wasted, he hasn't created much from open play, he hasn't looked like scoring himself, and whilst he always makes himself available and he passes the ball well and retains possession most of the time, he isn't really stamping his authority on games.

You ask the question who gets left out? For me on current form it's McCabe. I'm sure he will be a top player for us in the future, but for me at the moment he isn't cutting the mustard. It's time to give someone else a game and let him knuckle down in training and work on his game.

We can't have two Semedo types in midfield and Jose is a better ball winner and foil. We need creativity and McCabe isn't providing it.

Guest Big Guns

Some of the football 'experts' on here were screaming for us to get rid of Lines

He gets injured

We are 100% worse in midfield without him

Same people - screaming at Reda and giving him serious grief earlier this season

Reda gets injured

We are 100% worse at left back without him

Same people - screaming cos they don't like Buxton and want him dropped

Buxton goes out of the team

We are 100% worse at right back

Same people - want Madine out of the team (and the CLUB)

Madine goes out of the team

We end up with no goals being scored

Same people - massive Rodri fans and want him in the side before Madine despite him not scoring goals, and same people who went mental with excitement when Bothroyd joined, then boooed him off and abused him on twitter

flipping

MENTAL

No offence people - but I'd rather trust Dave Jones every single day of the week than some of you 'experts' out there

ok ?

Ta

All that tells us is all our players are crap

a very selective collection of views to tar everyone with .

what evidence have you seen this season to trust DJ?

I do not want him sacked yet - but as with my support for GM I don't like merry go round managerial changes but he has made some pretty poor decisions since the promotion party