Our midfield concerns me

Sooner or later we are going to have to send Barkley back to Everton and I for one am worried. He is head and shoulders above the rest of our central midfielders and the position is worrying me. With Lines missing I think it's an area where we are very short.

Semedo isn't having the same impact that he did in League 1 last season, and McCabe for me is far from the finished article. Rhys seems to be the golden boy on here and immune from any criticism, and whilst I don't like to be too critical of a young laddie I think he still has a lot of improving still to do.

Rhys has a lot of qualities to his game, he is always looking to get on the ball, he uses both feet well, and his passing at times is excellent, but he gives away a lot of very silly fouls, his set pieces haven't been great this season, he never looks like scoring, and at times he gives the ball away needlessly playing the wrong and difficult pass when a simpler one is available.

I suppose this should be expected of a young laddie learning his trade, and there will be flaws to iron out in his game, but I'm not convinced that he should be playing week in week out like he is at the moment. Rhys is clearly a very talented young man, but he was below par for me again today and he hasn't been spectacular in the last few games either.

I would like to see another midfielder brought in and/or an extension for Barkley. When Barkley leaves we are going to look well short. Your thoughts?

I just can't see where our creativity is coming from this year, and yes that should be the midfields job obviously. Last year we scored mainly from set pieces under Megson and from Marshall and then had a lot of assists from Tracey and Antonio when they came in.

This year Antonios struggling a bit and we have noone else creating anything. JJ's never been a creator anyway, and our central midfielders play too deep to create much. We need a Treacy type in to play a final ball! Maybe then that would get Madine and Bothroyd scoring too, as it is they have no service from out wide.

Edited by swfc-dan

There are quite a few things to be concerned about I agree, but the midfield for some strange reason barely gets mentioned on here and is often overlooked.

Completely agree everyone goes on about the defence not being good enough or the attack being toothless, but its the midfield that is the base for both.

Look at hull today they had McKenna who is a veteran but was at the centre of everything they did, and outclassed the two teenagers and 2 men who have only ever played in league 1 we had. It says it all. When people say who do we need in midfield look no further than him!

What concerns me most about our midfield is how easy it is for the opposition to cut through. Barkley is as much responsible for this as anybody. He is undoubtedly a talent but not what we need right now. Maybe he nees to play further forward almost as a second striker.

I just can't see where our creativity is coming from this year, and yes that should be the midfields job obviously. Last year we scored mainly from set pieces under Megson and from Marshall and then had a lot of assists from Tracey and Antonio when they came in.

This year Antonios struggling a bit and we have noone else creating anything. JJ's never been a creator anyway, and our central midfielders play too deep to create much. We need a Treacy type in to play a final ball! Maybe then that would get Madine and Bothroyd scoring too, as it is they have no service from out wide.

Nail on head!

The funny thing is, everyone (me included) keeps saying what decent games McCabe and Barkley are having.

And yet, I'm equally convinced that the centre of midfield is one of our weaker areas and largely to blame for the fact that we don't look capable of scoring regularly from open play. Burnley midweek was an exception...Hull/Wolves/Bolton/Brighton/Palace we've really struggled in.

I think Lines will be a good addition when fit again- he injects momentum into team both with his passing and occasionally with 'the Lines burst' when he drives forward. Never played in the Championship before though so will need time.

Barkley will be a top player and I hope we can keep him for a bit longer. Everton seem to be doing excellently at the moment which might well be key...although if I were Barkley, I'm not sure i'd want to be staying given the current situation at S6. Mind you, we're kind of like a lower league Everton at present so it could well be relevant experience for him.

If the midfield allows the defense to be called upon 20 times then the keeper will be called upon 7 times and eventually the opposition are going to score. If the midfield soaks up the pressure and the defense only really needs to be called upon 7 times, then the keeper might only be called upon twice, and I back Kirkland to make 2 saves. This is the law of averages.

We don't have a player dominating that whole area. McCabe and Semedo are good but they can't cover enough ground. One of them next to Reda with Barkley ahead and we will dominate the midfield. Reda can cover the ground, get up and down, left and right.

I dont get this Barkley facination , this is the first time i have seen him today and he did ok but in 5 man midfield i expect one of them to get foreward to support the attacker , today him and mcabe were very Potteresque .

the black guy Hull had in midfield was head and shoulders above any of ours .

At times Barkley is taking the wrong option trying to beat a man too many or looking for a hollywood ball he has talent and vision but needs to think a little bit more at times.I felt McCabe was poor today and Semedo laks in this division as for Lines he probably isn't going to get much of a look in if Barkley is here.

I agree with the Barkley comments. Think he needs to play it early sometimes rather than having to put in a turn or piece of skill before playing it every time.

Semedo for me played well today - didn't look out of place.

Barkley gets involved and always wants the ball as does McCabe, but like already mentioned they are still very young with little experience between them.

I'd have Lines straight back in the team once fit. Not only will we get some better set pieces he does have the ability to dictate midfield and make chances as well as getting the ball into the strikers which isn't happening enough at the moment.

Semedo for me played well today - didn't look out of place.

Barkley gets involved and always wants the ball as does McCabe, but like already mentioned they are still very young with little experience between them.

I'd have Lines straight back in the team once fit. Not only will we get some better set pieces he does have the ability to dictate midfield and make chances as well as getting the ball into the strikers which isn't happening enough at the moment.

Thought Semedo was excellent today also, especially first half.

I think people are focusing too much more on the central midfield areas, last year we used them to win the ball and keep it and give it to more creative players, they didn't create themselves, even under DJ.

I still think Semedo will be good enough, and McCabe/Lines alongside him should be good enough to keep the ball and give it to more creative players. It's the wingers that are the bigger problem, with Antonio having off games there is no creativity coming from there which we must have the way we play. JJ's never been a creator, the types of Marshall/Treacy are what we need. Someone who will get the ball on the wing and put a QUALITY ball in for the strikers. And we don't have one so need to bring one in on loan, unless Mayor can be this player.

Can hardly blame our strikers for not scoring at the minute.

We are missing Lines for his set-pieces though.

Edited by swfc-dan