He's Ripped The Heart Out Of The Squad

Guest pops55

Yes and no. I always agreed with some of what you said but one particular point seemed to a bit blinkered, so I wanted to clear it up.

I think there were good reasons to bring in Bothroyd and drop COG earlier in the season.

But if he's scoring and helping us get results then he should be kept in.

Could you enlighten us all with those reason please.

To be fair , the injuries haven't helped and having Buxton , Johnson , then Beevers and Lee injured as well in defense means a big ask to maintain a solid back four .

However , what I cant understand , like many others , is why Liera doesn't get a game . Taylor is well past the required level at this standard and as I have said in previous posts , if you've got Gardner for experience , then we should have pushed the boat out for a Baaht type player , especially if Liera is no longer in favour .

The Burnley game demonstrated that the team still has spirit but the players out of the defense must feel so pigged off when they see the complete disarray at the back . As others have said we'll just have to keep out-scoring the opposition - easy !

Guest JC Saviour

I agree, been saying it for a while now - I think he has to play Bothroyd and Barkley as part of their loan agreements. I'm surprised he hasn't been asked the question in a press conference TBH.

Why do folk on here keep referring 'got to play em because of the loan agreements'. Its because of the amount Wednesday are having to pay towards their wages. Said it before. Bothroyd 15 k aweek, 10k by QPR and 5 k by Wednesday. Do you honestly think MM will alow 5k a week on a loan deal sat on the bench. He would tell Jones to fuuck him off back to his parent club.

Why do folk on here keep referring 'got to play em because of the loan agreements'. Its because of the amount Wednesday are having to pay towards their wages. Said it before. Bothroyd 15 k aweek, 10k by QPR and 5 k by Wednesday. Do you honestly think MM will alow 5k a week on a loan deal sat on the bench. He would tell Jones to fuuck him off back to his parent club.

either way it amounts to the same thing

Guest JC Saviour

either way it amounts to the same thing

I think people think there is a contractual agreement in place by the parent club Play or send back. My theory is purely economics.

Bothroyd on 15k a week? He went to QPR on a Bosman, his wage will be way more than that. The speculation at the time was 35/40k and I think that would be nearer the true figure. I do agree with the bit about us paying 5k though (I reckon anything up to 10k personally). No way QPR will pick up that sort of %tage of his wage and not impose 'must play' terms. IIRC the Portsmouth manager let the cat out of the bag a few weeks ago on Football Focus - the loan normally has a T*C in it that imposes a min playing time and if it isn't met the club have to pay a bigger %tage of his wages. that sounds more feasible to me. Plus QPR want him in the shop window with a view to getting rid of him, do you honestly think they would have said just play him when you want?

Guest totemowl

Totemowl - Here's the flaws though:

The turn and finish against Oldham was class.... against any opposition. We only started playing when COG came on

The important goal against Derby was an absolute screamer.

You say it was reasonable to drop COG in favour of Rodri after a miss against Birmingham...... it was Rodri that missed an absolute sitter!!! Yes he scored and was a nice bit of play but all those who were there know that it should've been saved.

The only time that Rodri has looked the part was when partnering COG against Birmingham

COG was brought on as a sub the next match and changed the game in our favour!

He was our top scorer when dropped and was playing better than the other forwards.

I said at the time it was baffling. I was being polite..... it was wrong. I knew it then and so its proved.

Like Ranger; - last season I think you are most probably correct

Fair points. But I'd still stick with my reasoning, unless of course I had the benefit of hindsight. There's no doubting his work rate but I doubted how prolific he would be and thought he wouldn't be as effective a team player in this division.

Bothroyd's wiki page makes interesting reading (of course it's the internet AND wiki so may be a load of bolleaux), particularly the identity of the bloke who paid for his honeymoon! :st2: :st2:

PS Sorry for the off topic but I was gobsmacked.

Edited by Almat

Bothroyd shouldn't be playing if he's not match fit when there are 5 other strikers to choose from.

Taylor should not have been handed the captaincy. (Laws made the same mistake with Purse)

Madine was a cult player and either he shoudn't have been retained or picked regularly, not kept as a disappointed bit part player.

Llera was part of the heartbeat of the team and the same applies

Bedding in two new centre backs part way through the season, after all the pre season work, is crazy. (Irvine made the same mistake in the January he was sacked)

You don't have to attend matches to see these risky decisions. They've given us a relegation battle.

Guest Deleted member

Bothroyd clearly is match fit - as his performance at Burnley clearly showed. Hes improving with the fitness too

Fair points. But I'd still stick with my reasoning, unless of course I had the benefit of hindsight. There's no doubting his work rate but I doubted how prolific he would be and thought he wouldn't be as effective a team player in this division.

Fair play. Think the attack is OK for now anyway...... now about that defence lol

what a load of tosh this post is. do you seriously think the team (and squad - minus loan players) that finished last season would be ggod enough to be a Champ. team ?

anecdotal from me but I would think most , if not all, teams moving into this division have changed their squad radically. Jones can't win can he - don't change and he would get multi testicleed - change and he gets stick cos its taking time to gel and injuries av been against him.

some people on ere spend far too much time on football manager or whatever the game is and think they can do the job better. Support your club and stop jumping on the bandwagon or trying to create one. We have good young players who will only develop when playing in an atmosphere of confidence - some of our so called support is working against such an environment.

Yes change and improvement were required and we discarded players in the close season from last time's team.

But now we are taking the knife to some of the rest of them, incl the better players from last season-Llera, Madine, Semedo losing captaincy. This adds up to too much change.

Birnging in Rodri plus Macguire and Bothroyd was too much in the striker dept.

This looks like disruption. The result is on the pitch

what a load of tosh this post is. do you seriously think the team (and squad - minus loan players) that finished last season would be ggod enough to be a Champ. team ?

anecdotal from me but I would think most , if not all, teams moving into this division have changed their squad radically. Jones can't win can he - don't change and he would get multi testicleed - change and he gets stick cos its taking time to gel and injuries av been against him.

some people on ere spend far too much time on football manager or whatever the game is and think they can do the job better. Support your club and stop jumping on the bandwagon or trying to create one. We have good young players who will only develop when playing in an atmosphere of confidence - some of our so called support is working against such an environment.

My point was that DJ himself said he wanted to keep the team spirit from last season intact. Please explain how he can do that without keeping a core number of players from last season's team?

With the exception of the Palace match, the blip (and let's hope it is just that) in form has coincided with the team fielding most of DJ's signings and last season's player representation being down to just 4 players (for the Bolton game just 2). The forums (and media reports) have also been full of comments about how spineless and insipid most of those displays were.

Pure coincidence?

Sorry but I don't think so (that's just my opinion by the way) but go ahead and shoot me down, the forum is here for topics like this to be discussed and there should be room for all opinions.

Guest Lawrie Maddens Hump

He's not ripped the heart out, he's just strengthened it. The health of Sheffield Weds football club is a lot better for it. All those that are looking at this period of time as a negative will look back on it in a few years as a positive necessity.