He's Ripped The Heart Out Of The Squad

COG scored 2 goals on Tuesday, Bothroyd in the team.....now, is that all about COG, or could that be that extra bit of quality in the squad playing to COG's strengths?

Maybe. Took a while to get there but just maybe. We now have 2 big strikers that have proved (currently or previously) that they can be effective at this level. One more in Madine that I believe has what it takes to be a third. That would be great. All I ask is that we utilise them all fairly and more importantly, effectively.

For the record, i think COG is a good player, love his work rate and attitude. I also think Bothroyd is a good player, has the experience at this level, which can only be a good thing. But, you're not happy....it's either one or the other by the sounds of it. Why can't both be good for us? One has the record of being decent at this level, and the other seemingly has the drive to step up.

COG scored 2 goals on Tuesday, Bothroyd in the team.....now, is that all about COG, or could that be that extra bit of quality in the squad playing to COG's strengths?

i think, and i emphasise its only my opinion that we would be better served bringing on gary madine and integrating Maguire Rrodri and Mayor rather than playing a guy past his best, who we dont own, who has managed to anger fans at every club he's been at, it just doesnt sit well with me that he's first name on the sheet every week, i trusted DJ when he said he was going to build something here. the signing of JB and Taylor isnt building to me, its bodging

Guest totemowl

Strikers that command high fees do so because they score goals. Goals change games. You can have the worst of a match in just about every aspect but get rescued by a natural goalscorer. I don't even know why I am even having to say this, it's just so flipping obvious.

That's got nothing to do with the point that you made, about quality and form, or the questions I was asking about the same points.

I assume that you didn't want to debate the poit you made, and accept that sometimes you would put a quality player in instead of a form player. Especially if that form is questionable.

Guest totemowl

what are you talking about, ive never mentioned Lowe or Jones

i said essix was arrogant to insult the op and for thinking only his opinion matters, i never mentioned the club

and if you dont agree Gardener and Taylor are the worst center back pairing show me one worse

do you get it now

No. You said essix was arrogant for having a look at last seasons squad and deciding who would make it in the Championship. Given your other comments that seemed odd.

That's got nothing to do with the point that you made, about quality and form, or the questions I was asking about the same points.

I assume that you didn't want to debate the poit you made, and accept that sometimes you would put a quality player in instead of a form player. Especially if that form is questionable.

COG has looked quality this season. Don't just assume that this quality is temporary

I would put in a striker who was regularly scoring even if he made no real contribution to the overall play at all (but COG does and ALSO scores). That's what strikers are there for, surely? And what do you mean by 'quality'? Does a lovely back flick that leads to nothing? Nutmegs a defender? Looks 'good' on the ball? It's so open to interpretation whereas a goal is not - it's there under the result. and if you score more of them than the opposition you get 3 points. job done.

Edited by Almat

Guest totemowl

COG has looked quality this season. Don't just assume that this quality is temporary

I think he's looked sharper. I wouldn't go so far as to say he looks quality.

But as long as he does the job and helps us get the results he's good enough to play week in week out.

But as long as he does the job and helps us get the results he's good enough to play week in week out.

Aren't you now backing up my point, the one you earlier took issue with? You are a puzzling poster, totemowl, you really are.

He's been quality mate. Goal against Derby.... goal of the season contender, turn and finish against Oldham, glancing header and side step and finish against Burnley were genuine class. If Rodri had scored those goals the shops would have run out of tissues in S5 and S6.

Turned the games against Oldham and Millwall when he came on too.

Guest totemowl

Aren't you now backing up my point, the one you earlier took issue with? You are a puzzling poster, totemowl, you really are.

Yes and no. I always agreed with some of what you said but one particular point seemed to a bit blinkered, so I wanted to clear it up.

I think there were good reasons to bring in Bothroyd and drop COG earlier in the season.

But if he's scoring and helping us get results then he should be kept in.

Yes and no. I always agreed with some of what you said but one particular point seemed to a bit blinkered, so I wanted to clear it up.

I think there were good reasons to bring in Bothroyd and drop COG earlier in the season.

Mind blowing.

Edited by Dagmeister

Apart from the fact that DJ signed Bothroyd (not a good reason in itself of course), what would they be exactly?

Edited by Almat

Guest totemowl

Apart from the fact that DJ signed Bothroyd (not a good reason in itself of course), what would they be exactly?

We needed another striker and ideally one who would offer quality and consistency up front and none of the other strikers were doing enough. Messi wasn't available. Dipping into the Premiership for someone was the best option imo. The trick as always is to find someone available and willing. Hence Bothroyd...

COG had good practice against Oldham ( 19th in L1), scored an important goal at Derby, looked sharp against Birmingham but from memory missed an easy one. In L1 for us, he didn't show himself to be a regular goalscorer so it was reasonable imo to bring Madine in and keep Rodri up front. 2 games later COG was put back in but didn't score. Bothroyd was ready to play, we needed a consistent source of goals, so time to give him a try.

In hindsight, Bothroyd has failed so far. In hindsight, of the Burnley game, COG should keep his place for now...

Now you may all have been able to foresee this but imo what was done was reasonable.

For me I think it is the loan players Bothroyd, Barkley and to a certain extent Rodri that have tipped the balance (too many changes too soon). Bothroyd himself has stated that he's not match fit so why has he been playing ahead of players (COG) that are? Wouldn't it have made more sense to have him on the bench and introduce him gradually thus giving him the time to up his fitness levels? Similarly with Barkley he's a young and very talented player but it looks like he is only just getting up to speed. Again I think it would have been more effective to introduce him from the bench. This leads me to think that there is something in their loan agreements which state that they have to play (assuming they're not actually injured of course). I'm not saying these two are not good players (I think they are, especially Barkley) I just don't think they should have been thrown straight into the first team and seem to stay there regardless of performance.

Secondly some people seem to interpret criticism of the manager as a call for him to be sacked. This is not the case I thihk you can criticise (ideally contructively) some of DJ's choices decisions whilst still supporting him as manager.

I agree, been saying it for a while now - I think he has to play Bothroyd and Barkley as part of their loan agreements. I'm surprised he hasn't been asked the question in a press conference TBH.

Edited by Almat

Totemowl - Here's the flaws though:

The turn and finish against Oldham was class.... against any opposition. We only started playing when COG came on

The important goal against Derby was an absolute screamer.

You say it was reasonable to drop COG in favour of Rodri after a miss against Birmingham...... it was Rodri that missed an absolute sitter!!! Yes he scored and was a nice bit of play but all those who were there know that it should've been saved.

The only time that Rodri has looked the part was when partnering COG against Birmingham

COG was brought on as a sub the next match and changed the game in our favour!

He was our top scorer when dropped and was playing better than the other forwards.

I said at the time it was baffling. I was being polite..... it was wrong. I knew it then and so its proved.

I agree, been saying for a while now - I think he has to play Bothroyd and Barkley as part of their loan agreements....

Like Ranger; - last season I think you are most probably correct

Edited by Dagmeister