Danny Batth

Guest foreverSWFC

When we went on our unbelievable run at the end of last season Jones hardly played. It was Llera and Batth.

To be honest, we probably stopped appreciating Batth as much as we should have because he was that solid, reliable, and dependable we just took him for granted to always be there clearing the danger. You say he wasn't commanding, and I presume you mean vocally, because he was prepared to take responsibility, put in important tackles, attack the ball when it was in the air to be won, and boot it clear when necessary so we could clear our lines.

He did, but I think all our central defenders did this Jones, Batth, Llera. Doesn't mean they would necessarily be as effective at this level. The attackers are much better than I remember.

Don't get me wrong. I like Danny Batth, but we are now struggling at a higher level, if we can make one signing to try and rectify it, it would be a hell of a gamble to pick Batth. Can't see DJ going for it.

It amazes me the number of sheep on here who were clambering for Batth to sign, who now say they don't think he could make the step up because Dj said so. He's hardly proving himself the world authority on defence is he.

Correct

Anyone actually thought that what DJ said was just to calm the fans down? Maybe MM said "no too expensive" and so DJ had to look elsewhere. Rather than coming out in public and saying "yeah MM won't stump up for him" this raising the ire of Wednesdayites on Milan he thought the diplomatic thing to say would be "we don't want him".

Just a thought like.

Just not bothered...

Hate to let facts get in the way but the fact is ,dB didn't want to come here if wanted to stay at Wolves. His choice thanks for last season and move on .

Just because you say it is a fact does not mean it is fact ,

Thats a Fact .

Guest totemowl

Anyone actually thought that what DJ said was just to calm the fans down? Maybe MM said "no too expensive" and so DJ had to look elsewhere. Rather than coming out in public and saying "yeah MM won't stump up for him" this raising the ire of Wednesdayites on Milan he thought the diplomatic thing to say would be "we don't want him".

Just a thought like.

Plus the fact that Batth has consistently said he wants to make it at Wolves. No harm in cooling things off until the lad realises his mistake and we get a better price. If we still want him.

I may be wrong but didn't Danny say that he didn't want to go anywhere and that he wanted to stay and fight for a place at Wolves (his hometown club). If that is the case then it's no wonder we didn't go for him !!!

Yeah, then it got to the end of pre-season and he was made available for a loan as wasn't in the first team plans at Wolves.

It was at this point we should have tried to sign him, but Jones said he wasn't the type of player we were interested in.

This led us to believe we would be signing someone better than Batth - i.e. all the same defensive attributes he possesses, plus better technically on the ball.

We then went and signed an older, and worse in all areas besides "experience" player instead.

Jones then went on to criticise our defenders for trying to keep the ball and not just booting it into row Z.

It doesn't all add up and is very bizarre.

The only explanation that actually makes sense is Jones wants to get rid of players associated with Megson.

O'Grady said in his interview last night he was told by Jones he wasn't in his plans for this season. But after not being sold, he's managed to force his way in.

Yeah, then it got to the end of pre-season and he was made available for a loan as wasn't in the first team plans at Wolves.

It was at this point we should have tried to sign him, but Jones said he wasn't the type of player we were interested in.

This led us to believe we would be signing someone better than Batth - i.e. all the same defensive attributes he possesses, plus better technically on the ball.

We then went and signed an older, and worse in all areas besides "experience" player instead.

Jones then went on to criticise our defenders for trying to keep the ball and not just booting it into row Z.

It doesn't all add up and is very bizarre.

The only explanation that actually makes sense is Jones wants to get rid of players associated with Megson.

O'Grady said in his interview last night he was told by Jones he wasn't in his plans for this season. But after not being sold, he's managed to force his way in.

What after we signed Antonio , sorry thats a bit daft

Tis true, lad never wanted to comeback in the first place. Can we just get over it now and stop bringing his name up after every game.

I may be wrong but didn't Danny say that he didn't want to go anywhere and that he wanted to stay and fight for a place at Wolves (his hometown club). If that is the case then it's no wonder we didn't go for him !!!

Danny Batth: 'My heart is still set on making the Wolves first-team'

Danny Batth today insisted his heart is still set on making the Wolves first-team after insisting he is a better player for plying his trade elsewhere.

Danny Batth today insisted his heart is still set on making the Wolves first-team after insisting he is a better player for plying his trade elsewhere.

The Brierley Hill-born centre-back has returned to Molineux after playing a full part in Sheffield Wednesday’s automatic promotion to the Championship, making 49 appearancesicon1.png for Dave Jones’s Owls in 2011-12.

Batth’s Wednesday team-mates will be playing alongside Wolves next season.

But the 21-year-old is determined to follow players such as David Davis ansd Anthony Forde and forge his way into a Wolves first-team which looks like showing changes at the back, with Roger Johnson set to move on, question marks about whether out-of-contract Jodt Craddock will be offered a new deal and with Christophe Berra having just 12 months left on his.

“I’ve been at Wolves since I was 10-years-old so my ambition is still to play regularly in the first team,” said Batth, who missed just two of the Owls’ 46 league games.

“I’ve had to go and play football elsewhere but I think that has helped me.

“I think I’ve had a strong season at Sheffield Wednesday and will come back hoping to impress the new manager and be there or thereabouts.

“I’ve really enjoyed the experience and am now really excited about getting back to Wolves and hopefully having a good pre-season.

“We’ve seen people like David Davis and Anthony Forde do well last season and I think everyone knows Wolves have an academy which brings good players through.

“Mark Davies and Elliott Bennett are two who have done well in the Premier League as well.

“I think if you do well, you’ll get your opportunity and if that comes along, it’s up to me to take it.

“Hopefully I can push for a chance at Wolves as well and show what I can do.”

Batth has now played almost 80 first-team games after previous loan spells at Wednesday’s steel city rivalsicon1.png United and Colchester over the last two years and believes his experiences have benefitted his game, with big-match time in the Sheffield derbies which he emerged from unbeaten after a 2-2 draw at Bramall Lane and a 1-0 win at Hillsborough in front of over 36,000.

“I played 49 games in all competitionsicon1.png so it was a long old season but I think it will stand me in good stead for next year,” he said.

“To pip Sheffield United as well made it an even bigger achievement.

“When I arrived for the first loan spell at the end of last season we were 15th so to be promoted is fantastic.

“The two derbies were massive and there was a crowd of over 36,000 at Hillsborough.

“We did really well in the two derby games and that probably played a major part in us eventually getting promoted.”

Guest shabba

He always made it clear he wanted to stay at Wolves and fight for his place. Not sure where some idiots get the idea that all we had to do is throw 500k at Wolves and he'd come straight back

Hopefully he'll re assess in January and decide it's best if he moves on. Then we can make a bid

What after we signed Antonio , sorry thats a bit daft

As I said, everything doesn't all add up.

However you could look at that as an exception because he was probably signed after the decision to fire Megson has already been made. He's not really part of the Megson legacy, since he only played a single game under him.

Perhaps his initial desire to stay at Wolves put us off?

Maybe while he was under contract at Wolves, it would have been a monumentally stupid decision to come out and say anything other than that he wanted to stay and fight for his place.

Even if he DID want to leave (which I don't think anyone believes as Wolves are his hometown club), AND Wolves DID want to get rid of him, I'd still expect him to say the same thing. Wolves wouldn't want him to leave for nothing!

As the transfer Window was drawing to a close, he obviously made approaches to the Wolves management about ensuring he was going to get regular football at Wolves, as he would have preferred to move on than just sit bench warming. http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2012/08/21/stale-looking-to-wield-wolves-axe/

It was at this point we should have made an approach to sign him, either permanently or on loan. If we had tried, and he or Wolves had said they weren't interested that would make things entirely different. But as it stands, we didn't even try to sign him, then signed someone significantly worse instead.