Parallel's between Sturrock and DJ

2004/05 - Sturrock takes over mid-season and gets us promoted from League 1 from an almost impossible position

2005/06 - Early in the season we went on a six game winless run - Sturrock's job security was never questioned

In 2005/06 we got out of the mire and finished mid-table. There was outcry (and rightly so) when Sturrock was sacked a year later after winning just 2 out of 12 games.

2011/12 - Jones takes over mid-season and gets us promoted from League 1 from an almost impossible position

2012/13 - Early in the season we went on a six game winless run - Jones' job security is the main topic of conversation

So why was Sturrock seemingly immune to fans' criticism, yet Jones is getting flak after going through an almost identical run of form?

2004/05 - Sturrock takes over mid-season and gets us promoted from League 1 from an almost impossible position

2005/06 - Early in the season we went on a six game winless run - Sturrock's job security was never questioned

In 2005/06 we got out of the mire and finished mid-table. There was outcry (and rightly so) when Sturrock was sacked a year later after winning just 2 out of 12 games.

2011/12 - Jones takes over mid-season and gets us promoted from League 1 from an almost impossible position

2012/13 - Early in the season we went on a six game winless run - Jones' job security is the main topic of conversation

So why was Sturrock seemingly immune to fans' criticism, yet Jones is getting flak after going through an almost identical run of form?

Did both managers have the same resources? If I remember correctly when Sturrock got us promoted he was saying it would be a bigger achievement to maintain our championship status. The fans therefore went into the season expecting a relegation battle. We were also missing our main striker through injury. The player we brought in were lower championship players.

This summer all the talk was of promotion in three seasons, giving it a go and generally positive. We have beaten premiership teams to players.

The expectations from these seasons were completely different and therefore the fans reactions are different.

Easy.

What did we buy upon promotion?

Eagles

Best

Partridge

Simek

Hills

Graham

We started a season with a striker force of Best (who go injured), graham, proudlock & Peacock.

Compare that with now and the finances available and the players bought.

Antonio

Gardner

Taylor

Lee

Mattock

Barkley

McCabe

Bothroyd

Mayor

Rodri

Kirkland

Sturrock had a bond with the fans - that despite DJ's amazing success last season - DJ didn't/doesn't have.

Sturrock's popularity stemmed from getting a relatively poor side promoted, and that fact that he was as mad as a mad thing on National Mad Day.

DJ (or indeed any manager) will be popular whilst ever he is winning games - but when they are not, attention is drawn to the manager's personality, and although he appears to be a decent guy (with actually a very dry sense of humour) he doesn't have that charm or charisma that Sturrock - or indeed even Laws has.

The team at the moment reflects this - when we score a goal they are barely congratulating each other, there doesn't appear to be any rapport between the players to each other or the manager. They are not a team, the heart of the side has been ripped out - and the supporters recognise this. The bond between the players and the supporters was superb last season, and at the start of this - I'm afraid that half-hearted performances from the likes of Pecnic and JB are not going to remedy this.

We can debate all day about whether DJ should be given more time or not, but ultimately MM will make the decision for us, I suspect Tuesday will be a turning point one way or another for us, another defeat and I think he will be gone. If we get something out of Tuesday, and with 2 home games to come then who knows - but I personally would sack him if we do lose. An international break is coming up again after the Hull game - I bet a fair few clubs will be searching for new managers during that break.

Guest chuckie4570

Sturrock is a legend. What he did with that team and no money was amazing. I for one will never ever forget that day in Cardiff. Jones has spent money and wrecked a winning side. Ok bring in new players but introduce them slowly, don't change the team in well fell swoop.

Edited by chuckie4570

DJ shouldn't be immune from criticism, and isn't We've fooked up our start but its not yet ruined the season What annoys me, is that it was all a bit predictable. Bringing in so many players all at once was just asking for trouble, even amongst the bravado on here, I think most worried that it could spell trouble. Even DJ and PA said it was something they wanted to avoid. Well its done now and the big test for the manager is how quickly he can form a new side. We've brought in some decent quality in Kirkland, Gardner, McCabe, Antonio, Rodri, Bothroyd and Barkley, there isn't one championship club that wouldn't have wanted to take him What we have to do is form a team from what we have, although, as I've said, we may still have to bring in some key ingredients. Most Wednesday fans are still very much supportive of the manager but this is a situation of his own making and he needs to sort it out How much time does he have? I'm not sure thats an issue yet but it soon will be if things don't improve

Sturrock had a bond with the fans - that despite DJ's amazing success last season - DJ didn't/doesn't have.

Sturrock's popularity stemmed from getting a relatively poor side promoted, and that fact that he was as mad as a mad thing on National Mad Day.

DJ (or indeed any manager) will be popular whilst ever he is winning games - but when they are not, attention is drawn to the manager's personality, and although he appears to be a decent guy (with actually a very dry sense of humour) he doesn't have that charm or charisma that Sturrock - or indeed even Laws has.

The team at the moment reflects this - when we score a goal they are barely congratulating each other, there doesn't appear to be any rapport between the players to each other or the manager. They are not a team, the heart of the side has been ripped out - and the supporters recognise this. The bond between the players and the supporters was superb last season, and at the start of this - I'm afraid that half-hearted performances from the likes of Pecnic and JB are not going to remedy this.

We can debate all day about whether DJ should be given more time or not, but ultimately MM will make the decision for us, I suspect Tuesday will be a turning point one way or another for us, another defeat and I think he will be gone. If we get something out of Tuesday, and with 2 home games to come then who knows - but I personally would sack him if we do lose. An international break is coming up again after the Hull game - I bet a fair few clubs will be searching for new managers during that break.

Agreed. He has done a brilliant job and I see no alternative but he cuts an awkward figure to the media and fans and if this is a reflection of his man management skills that worries me

He needs some 'PR coaching' at best or at worst is stubbornly arrogant - regarding 'building' he actually said in one interview ' show me a wall and i will knock it down ' Sounds more like demolition ?? As regards humour his attempts at quips are not funny / dont work

Have Cardiff fans on here not said he was 'distant' ?

In his forum with MM and fans 29th March i thought he came across as aloof - ok new man new clube etc but whilst MM was very warm like the favourite uncle type DJ was very 'matter of fact' - Maybe Terry Burton nprovided the personality DJ lacks ??

Don't get me wrong I don't want to take anything away from DJ's achievements last season but we were definitely not in an impossible position for promotion, we were third.

DJ shouldn't be immune from criticism, and isn't We've fooked up our start but its not yet ruined the season What annoys me, is that it was all a bit predictable. Bringing in so many players all at once was just asking for trouble, even amongst the bravado on here, I think most worried that it could spell trouble. Even DJ and PA said it was something they wanted to avoid. Well its done now and the big test for the manager is how quickly he can form a new side. We've brought in some decent quality in Kirkland, Gardner, McCabe, Antonio, Rodri, Bothroyd and Barkley, there isn't one championship club that wouldn't have wanted to take him What we have to do is form a team from what we have, although, as I've said, we may still have to bring in some key ingredients. Most Wednesday fans are still very much supportive of the manager but this is a situation of his own making and he needs to sort it out How much time does he have? I'm not sure thats an issue yet but it soon will be if things don't improve

Hang on. You was one of the main ones saying we need more all through the Summer.

iirc Maclean, Peacock & Proudlock were all injured, and Graham arrived later. Sturrock was reduced to playing Brunt up front on his own in a couple of matches. Plus we had no money and we expected a relegation fight from the beginning, so most fans backed Sturrock through the tough times.

Jones has a lot more resources to work with, so expectations are naturally higher. Hence the criticism.