Old pics of Hillsborough

That picture is wrong, as good as it is. The roof of the West Stand was halfway over the terraces, not that small portion. The Kop is even in the picture, not the odd shape it was and the road doesn't run parallel with the Kop.

This is from 1913/4 and is an architect's drawing.

If you look back at the photo with the scouts the original roof only covers a fraction of the terrace not half way. Also the hump on the Kop terrace was a later addition and that terrace was even originally.

I think when they were building one of the stands they used the ruble to build up the back of the kop.

IIRC, the board of old all ways used the excuse that because of the hump it would be impossible for it to be covered.

BTW, Nugent. I recal Ninian Park very well. I remember when we played you years ago and it was the final match of the season in the old third division (we lost 1-0 IIRC). Most of your fans were great but a few were throwing darts into our crowd. I also recal our coach stopping over at Newport and the locals wanted to do was kill us.

some "fans" are dic kheads mate. and never ever go to newport, not even we go there

The back of the Kop was simply a sloping bank. If you consider the actual layout of the ground, the northern end of the Kop is so much closer to Penistone Road, and there was not the room to contain a bank to the height of the southern end of the Kop. Remember that the Kop , and the ground itself, is NOT PARELLEL to the line of Penistone Road. The area of the ground is bordered by a) the River, which crosses P.R at an angle, b) a short stretch of Leppings Lane, c) the rear of the North Stand, which is roughly the line of Vere Road, and d) Penistone Road itself. The area of the ground itself is fitted to make the most use of the land available.

The back of the Kop was simply a sloping bank. If you consider the actual layout of the ground, the northern end of the Kop is so much closer to Penistone Road, and there was not the room to contain a bank to the height of the southern end of the Kop. Remember that the Kop , and the ground itself, is NOT PARELLEL to the line of Penistone Road. The area of the ground is bordered by a) the River, which crosses P.R at an angle, b) a short stretch of Leppings Lane, c) the rear of the North Stand, which is roughly the line of Vere Road, and d) Penistone Road itself. The area of the ground itself is fitted to make the most use of the land available.

It just looks like a muddy path leading to the back of the kop on this photo, I bet that was a giggle on a wet rainy Saturday afternoon in January.

That picture is wrong, as good as it is. The roof of the West Stand was halfway over the terraces, not that small portion. The Kop is even in the picture, not the odd shape it was and the road doesn't run parallel with the Kop.

The road has never been parallel with the Kop. The ground has always been roughly parallel to the river, not to roads. And as someone mentioned, the Kop was smaller at that time- humpless.

Just read the later posts so ignore my tuppence worth.

Edited by Lincs Owl

Post em all here!

I'm currently trying to build up a photo archive of the ground since 1899 and want to make sure I haven't missed any - so can you guys delve into the deep internet for me and post all the best old pictures of our beloved ground you can.

I'll start you off -

The Kop in 1991

800px-The_Spion_Kop_at_Hillsborough_in_1

Had some amazing times on there as a young teenager, brilliant

The "1953 Kop" photo shows wooden fencing at the front, whereas the "1935 N.E.Corner" photo shows the much later concrete wall.

The flat caps, and particularly the young girls cloche hat, would suggest that the "1953" photo was probably from the nineteen-twenties.

Guest Mark Heaton
On 9/30/2012 at 11:58, KivoOwl said:

Here is everything I have - If you can find any more, please post them up!

1910 Kop

1910.jpg

Circa 1950 Kop

1950 (circa).jpg

1953 Kop

1953 (circa).jpg

1954 Kop

1954.jpg

1972 Kop

1972.jpg

1984 Kop

1984.jpg

1986 Kop

1986.jpg

1989.jpg

1990 Kop

1990.jpg

1991 Kop

1991.jpg

1999 Kop

1999.jpg

Great memories of the old kop, 1984 Sheff wed vs Santos bunked off school, wasn't a spare seat in the ground