1954 Hillsborough panorama

Did you by any chance make this image yourself from the video you posted from the queens visit? If you did then well done as its a great image also why is their a big empty space in middle of the Kop

Edited by glenowl

1954panorama.jpg

The North-west corner was built in 1927, halved in 1961 to make way for the North Stand you see today, and dismantled completely in 1965 to make way for the north-west corner you see today.

The North stand was built in 1899 and lasted 62 years.

Sorry Kivo but the North stand was built before 1899 possibly 1892/93 at Olive Grove, It was then taken apart piece by piece and transported to owlerton and rebuilt.

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl

Sorry Kivo but the North stand was built before 1899 possibly 1892/93 at Olive Grove, It was then taken apart piece by piece and transported to Owlerton and rebuilt.

"When Owlerton staged it's first game on 2ns September 1899 it was a three sided ground, with the only accommodation available being in the old Olive Grove stand on the river side. The 1,000 seater stand had originally been erected in Olive Grove in 1892."

"The original North Stand was erected during the club's first season at Owlerton"

From "One Hundred Years at Hillsborough" by Jason Dickenson.

Nev, you had better tell the official club historian he has got it wrong as well! ;-)

"When Owlerton staged it's first game on 2ns September 1899 it was a three sided ground, with the only accommodation available being in the old Olive Grove stand on the river side. The 1,000 seater stand had originally been erected in Olive Grove in 1892."

"The original North Stand was erected during the club's first season at Owlerton"

From "One Hundred Years at Hillsborough" by Jason Dickenson.

Nev, you had better tell the official club historian he has got it wrong as well! ;-)

says the same here,

"It is difficult to imagine that when Sheffield Wednesday bought a plot of land at High Bridge, Owlerton in 1899, that the area where the ground now stands was just meadowland. Serious doubts were expressed at the time that the club was moving too far away from the Heeley area of Sheffield, where the majority of its fans resided, but the club's forefathers would be proved correct in their decision.

_46257825_s00468_ground_1900.jpg

New seating at Hillsborough Stadium in 1900

Wednesday paid £4,500 for the land and immediately transferred - brick by brick - the stand from their previous Olive Grove ground, which was erected on the River Don (South) side of the enclosure.

The ground was a hive of activity during the summer of 1899 and in addition to the aforementioned stand, Wednesday levelled the pitch, erected railings around the majority of the playing area, and installed turnstiles. On the north side of the ground the club erected a stand that boasted 3,000 seats and standing for around 2,500. The ground was completed with a covered 3,000 capacity standing area at the Leppings Lane end, while the Penistone Road end was banked to give fans an elevated few of the action on the pitch.

Sorry Kivo but the North stand was built before 1899 possibly 1892/93 at Olive Grove, It was then taken apart piece by piece and transported to owlerton and rebuilt.

The original Olive Grove stand you refer to was re-built on the South side of the ground, not the north.

The Olive Grove stand was long gone (1913) by the time this picture arose.

An updated version of the panorama.

1954panorama.jpg

The original Olive Grove stand you refer to was re-built on the South side of the ground, not the north.

The Olive Grove stand was long gone (1913) by the time this picture arose.

An updated version of the panorama.

1954panorama.jpg

Oh no really hurt now, lived my 62 years believing the Old North that I had stood opposite of on the South terrace was the stand that stood at Olive Grove. That it was the stand my great grandfather helped to move. I have now checked and I am wrong, not worried about that too much but really low as my belief for all the years has been shattered. So sad, I would really appreciate a picture of the Olive Grove stand stood by the Don on the south if anyone has one.

Oh no really hurt now, lived my 62 years believing the Old North that I had stood opposite of on the South terrace was the stand that stood at Olive Grove. That it was the stand my great grandfather helped to move. I have now checked and I am wrong, not worried about that too much but really low as my belief for all the years has been shattered. So sad, I would really appreciate a picture of the Olive Grove stand stood by the Don on the south if anyone has one.

Been looking Nev, there are some but they are action shots and you can't really make it out. This is the best I could find.

v01102.jpg

Can anyone else find a good pic of the Olive Grove stand while it was at Owlerton?

Been looking Nev, there are some but they are action shots and you can't really make it out. This is the best I could find.

v01102.jpg

Can anyone else find a good pic of the Olive Grove stand while it was at Owlerton?

Cheers mate, that's it. So emotional to think I've been wrong all these years. It's not the bricks and mortar but the family ties that go with my thoughts.

Poor old Nev - I thought the same for ages - I thought they had built another roof in front of the Olive Grove stand and that was the North. Still you have a fantastic link the the past andas an Oliver Grover your Granddad played a great role history of our club . Don't be down - UTO & Nev!

It is very confusing - this is one of the oldest photo's around -it doesn't look like there is anything to the South . Once they had built the North the Olive Grove stand was "downgraded" and the offices and changing rooms were moved over there. So this North Stand was considered the "best" stand until the new South was built.

hills001-1.jpg

the giveaway is the curved bits under the roof

At Olive Grove

file-26.jpg

At Hillsborough

v01152-1.jpg