This mornings Star Backpage Headline

Guest intercity0wl

OWLS striker Jay Bothroyd is at the centre of controversy after being involved in a row with fans on the internet.

After some booed him when he was taken off at Hillsborough on Saturday he also received criticism on social media - including some abuse.

It prompted him to defend himself and refer to a small number of critics as “thick” - a Twitter post that is understood to have been made in the heat of the moment and was quickly withdrawn.

The affair has split fans’ opinion and caused a lively exchange of views on the internet .

Some fans support Bothroyd and think that the booing and written flak aimed at him went too far. Others back it or question whether he should have responded in such a way.

When he was taken off in the 75th minute, supporters were unaware that he had been carrying an injury.

He twisted his knee in the first half and Dave Jones said afterwards that rather than keep him off at half time, it was decided to see how long he could last before being taken off. In one swear laden post on Twitter, Bothroyd said: “How can you say I don’t care? You lot are ------- thick....the select few obviously.” This post was removed.

Others said:

“Bit of effort? I won every flick-on. Should I get my own flicks as well? I’ll accept criticism. Today I don’t deserve it."

“Boo all you want. I didn’t get any chances. I was up top alone and I hobbled off because I was injured.”

He signed off by saying: “I’m going to stop interacting with the fans until the stupid ones stop tweeting rubbish. Apologies to all the good fans and thanks.”

Dave Jones, after Saturday’s game and before the controversy cropped up, appealed for togetherness and patience after the team lost for the fourth game in a row, 2-1 to Bolton.

Gary Madine, who has lost his place in the side, tweeted: “Thought we deserved more. Now is the time we need everybody to stick together. We will come good.”

Owlstalk Shop

Not the best headline/story to have on the backpage.

He should have kept his thoughts to himself, even though I can understand why he got frustrated with some teenage gimps tweeting him abuse.

He twisted his knee in the first half and Dave Jones said afterwards that rather than keep him off at half time, it was decided to see how long he could last before being taken off. In one swear laden post on Twitter,

Can't understand why DJ did this.

Making a rod for his and the players back at the moment.

True..

Still....

It's always a REYT good idea to boo our own players innit

No, it's not.

But it is also not a good idea to engage with braindead morons on Twitter.

Jay Bothroyd needs to win over our fans and headlines like this aren't exactly going to help his cause.

No, it's not.

But it is also not a good idea to engage with braindead morons on Twitter.

Jay Bothroyd needs to win over our fans and headlines like this aren't exactly going to help his cause.

Also true...

All starts with the booing though

Never mind tho - all those fans who booed him despite him being injured... they know best innit

Owlstalk Shop

As a fan base we need to move on from this. Don't let this fester, don't hold a grudge against him. Although i reckon the drama queen element won't let it rest.

Perhaps two away games will do the team / Bothroyd a world of good. Get result at Wolves and the mood around Hillsborough should change come 6th Oct.

Guest intercity0wl

nothing article really, we knew all this on saturday night.

typical star, posters on OT write their flipping stories for em

I didn't say owt about the Article, i only mentioned the Headline, which i think still aint been mentioned.