WEDNESDAYITE CAR PARK - IMPORTANT

Guest Deleted member

Guest Deleted member

The Wednesdayite Car Park has been full now for all but one of our home matches - and it has been full for cash paying visitors at least 20 minutes before kick off. If you turn up with 20 minutes to go and insist on verbally abusing the volunteers running the car park because there is no room for you - do you really think that means we will find you a space?

Tip: Just because you got to the game with 5 mins to spare last season - doesn't give you a God given right to do the same this year. If you are informed that there is no room - and someone goes in after you - its because they have a permit - which guarantees them a space.

Get to the game in plenty of time - and you will get in. Alternatively - buy a permit for the season.

Thanks.

The Wednesdayite Car Park has been full now for all but one of our home matches - and it has been full for cash paying visitors at least 20 minutes before kick off. If you turn up with 20 minutes to go and insist on verbally abusing the volunteers running the car park because there is no room for you - do you really think that means we will find you a space?

Tip: Just because you got to the game with 5 mins to spare last season - doesn't give you a God given right to do the same this year. If you are informed that there is no room - and someone goes in after you - its because they have a permit - which guarantees them a space.

Get to the game in plenty of time - and you will get in. Alternatively - buy a permit for the season.

Thanks.

people like this should be banned for the season from using the car park. no need to abuse volunteers.

shame you didn't get the number plate and the next time they turn up tell them to do one

Guest intercity0wl

I'd buy a permit if the car park was manned after the game as well as beforehand. Genuine question - is there a reason why this doesn't happen?

It Might have sumat to do with the guys being there from before midday untill after kick off, and doing it on a VOLUNTARY basis, so they might just fancy doing the same as everybody else and going home.

Just out of curiosity why would it being manned after the game affect whether you buy a permit or not, i have used the W/.ITE car park for a couple of years and only ever once (Birmingham) had a problem after a game.

It Might have sumat to do with the guys being there from before midday untill after kick off, and doing it on a VOLUNTARY basis, so they might just fancy doing the same as everybody else and going home.

Just out of curiosity why would it being manned after the game affect whether you buy a permit or not, i have used the W/.ITE car park for a couple of years and only ever once (Birmingham) had a problem after a game.

I completely understand the voluntary situation and I also appreciate the Car Park is becoming more popular. My main worry is that there is often quite a bit of aggro from drivers, with people pushing in and the time it takes to get out and I worry about fellow Wednesday fans fighting each other. I've stopped using it now because it just takes too long. If there were some people directing traffic out at the end I just think it would be a much more calm and easy experience. Which is why I would be more likely to commit to a permit if I knew that was in place.

I appreciate there is no easy solution though. Although I would absolutely be willing to pay more if it was staffed post-game.

I'd buy a permit if the car park was manned after the game as well as beforehand. Genuine question - is there a reason why this doesn't happen?

Apart from when we have a meeting after the game we are in and around the car park after the game.(normally two/three of us)

However the main problem is getting out on to Penistone Road which we have no authority to assist with.

We have spoken to the police about cars picking up on Penistone Road , causing issues and they are going to see "what they can do".

The police/council seem to have an attitude of leaving the traffic to sort itself out (and generally it does with 30 mins).

we are there moving the cones to safe storage and putting the signs away. Whilst being alert to issues between drivers.

Everyone wants to get home but why some drivers choose to be "aggressive" when leaving is beyond me, you may save a couple of minutes.

we have found the majority of cars have left the car park within 30-40 minutes after the final whistle.

Please can you indicate what you think we could do post match to assist leaving and we will see what we can do,

Edited by pahowl

Guest Deleted member

We are currently parking around 450 cars per game

All cars are gone 30 mins after the end.

Thats about 14 cars leaving the car park onto a busy dual carriageway every minute.

The fans who get there earliest get parked nearest the front - so if you want to get out quicker try and get there earlier??

why do people cause such a fuss ,they have a carpark adjacent to the ground there cars are safe what more do they want ffs i would willingly wait half an hour or so to get out ,rather that than have to park miles away and walk to the ground risking traffic wardens and numpties damaging your car ,

wednesdayite are providing a great service doing this and shouldn't be abused in any way ,if anyone doesent like the set up don't bother ,simples ,

Edited by trevdi9

Please can you indicate what you think we could do post match to assist leaving and we will see what we can do,

Thanks Pahowl.

Traffic lights! Yes I’m dreaming with that idea. It’s tricky I realise that and cars stopping on the road to do a pick up doesn’t help. I appreciate you can’t build more exits although one leading out towards Herries Road would be awesome. Would I be right in thinking that the company who owns the land would be reluctant to add anything such as barriers/fences etc?

Perhaps create more sections, 4 or so and have one person at the front of each section directing traffic towards an exit on an alternate basis. Sort of manipulating a filter from 4 sections into two lanes of traffic. People who arrive early would still get out first but it would eliminate queue jumping. All you would need is a bit of tape between cones to stop people heading for the exit in any other way. Actually might need more than 4 sections. Also a bit of visibility of some staff in high vis jackets would probably calm people down more, accept they are in a queue and not be so ready to kick-off.

I don’t know though, will think about it some more - nice to hear the coppers don’t sound that bothered. As I mentioned, I have stopped using it after the first two games this season. I have to walk about a mile though now (bit of cardio for me and my Dad) but I still get home around 45 mins to an hour earlier.

All cars are gone 30 mins after the end.

I have used the car park 30 times over the last 3 years and in my experience that is just not true.

wednesdayite are providing a great service doing this and shouldn't be abused in any way ,if anyone doesent like the set up don't bother ,simples ,

Who's abusing them Trev?

Guest Deleted member

I have used the car park 30 times over the last 3 years and in my experience that is just not true.

Please join me at the car park at the next home game. I will wait with you at the end of the game. If there is still a queue of cars 30 mins after the end of the game I will personally refund your parking fee.

Please join me at the car park at the next home game. I will wait with you at the end of the game. If there is still a queue of cars 30 mins after the end of the game I will personally refund your parking fee.

Ok mate! I'm still waiting to hear if my Dad is coming this weekend but if he is we will use the car park and wait with you. If not, it would be the Leeds game which hardly seems fair...

Just to confirm, you are saying that 30 mins after final whistle, there will be no queue of cars? I appreciate there will be some cars left of course.

Guest Deleted member

Yep

And just for the record I parked at Sheffield Arena on Monday night - with a crowd of approximately 1/3 that we get at Hillsborough I was still queuing a full hour after the gig to get out - with some of the best transport links in the city and numerous exits

People need to stop moaning

Edited by Deleted member