Check out this list of players...

If Andy Booth is the answer to our problems, we are much worse than I thought. An almost ever present striker averaging 6 goals a season is not what we need.

Our problem really is the defense, so no he wouldn't be the solution to our problems in that sense. But attacking wise, Bothroyd, Rodri & Madine have all been very poor the last 3 games and, lets face it, never really looked like scoring. I want COG back in the starting XI, but given the choice of getting Andy Booth in the current side (during his decent first few seasons) should be an absolute no-brainer.

Andy Booth was ever present for us in the Premier League until our relegation ...I wonder why ?!

Booth over Bothroyd on what ive seen so far,no brainer.

Without a doubt. For starters I still think Bothroyd is a brilliant player (for us in the Championship hoping for mid-table finish) and needs to be given time. But at this moment in time, with 3 away games coming up, Booth would definitely start ahead of Bothroyd & Madine.

Edited by Euse

Stop talking about Andy Booth.

You're living in the past man!

The actual topic is 'check out this list of players' .... the actual list of players were all past SWFC players (apart from COG) including Andy Booth.

Dare I say that they'd come up in a conversation / debate in this particular topic, wouldn't you agree ?

Yeah all those talented players at Man U, Chelsea, Man City are Lazy and don't try. Before anyone mentions Barca they do nothing as well. Get real, you will only achieve your potential if you give 100%, never stop running, never stop talking and always try to win. That's when your quality will tell.

You can have all the quality in the world but if you do not put in the effort you will look a poor player and we have had loads of those at SWFC over the years. If everyone in the teams tries their best and you lose then there is little the players can do about it. However if you don't and you lose then it your fault for not giving it your best.

Players are human and are going to make basic mistakes occasionally. We as fans have to accept that. However what we do not have to accept and in my opinion should never accept is a player who does not give his best. This needs to be clear to players.

Here is a list of players that give their all would you want these untalented oafs in your team?

Messi

Scholes

Rooney

Giggs

Ronaldo

Terry

Cole

From my experience the quality players give 100% and have quality. The players with quality but do not put the effort in end up playing well below the level they should be playing at if they could be bothered to put the effort in. Which players who play for the top teams do not play to the best of their potential?

Absolutely. It's a far greater crime to have talent but not make the most of it due to a poor attitude/application than it is not to have the talent but at least do your best and make the most of what you have. It is so frustrating when you see players who are quite clearly capable of doing well not making the most of their abilities.

As for the opening post list don't remember anyone praising Guy Branston that often due to the fact he was poor and pretty stupid in terms of controlling his temper and having any ounce of discipline.

The kind of players Ive tried to list are the hard working, grafter, tough tackling types

This theead isnt to criticise any of them but to ask whether these are the 'type' of player generally preferredby Owls fans - especially in a time of struggle

I understand the point you are trying to make but it isn't as simple as that. Some of the players you have listed were better grafters, hard workers etc than others on that list and so some I would take and others I wouldn't touch.

For a team to be successful it needs a combination of skillful technique based players as well as tough tacklers, look at any team that has enjoyed success over a period of time and they will have a blend of both.

What is important at times like this is that regardless of whether the players are skill based or grafters they need to have the right character to come through a difficult test.

What is important at times like this is that regardless of whether the players are skill based or grafters they need to have the right character to come through a difficult test.

Good point mate

You're right - but this brings up another point..

How do you know that the player you buy has that particular strength of character ?

Surely you have to play them and see how they get on in front of a baying, booing Wednesday home crowd ?

Owlstalk Shop

The kind of players Ive tried to list are the hard working, grafter, tough tackling types

This theead isnt to criticise any of them but to ask whether these are the 'type' of player generally preferredby Owls fans - especially in a time of struggle

I think the simple answer Neil is that Wednesday fans like players that they can see are giving everything that they have irrespective of their skill level or style of play e.g. COG who works and works and works but isn't the most talented, and also Sheridan who worked and worked and worked but was arguably the most gifted ball player in England when he played. In terms of physical output COG delivers more than Sheridan ever did but both players would be very close in terms of energy expended. There is a reason that Sheridan could always complete the brilliant pass and that reason is because he left nothing on the pitch in his effort to get in the right position to make the pass in the first place - the fans could see this. There is a reason why COG is seen as an effective target man and that reason is because he leaves nothing on the pitch in terms of effort to get to the ball to receive it and then to work to a position to distribute it back - the fans can see this.

So the simple answer is that we as fans like to see that a player is giving everything.

I think the simple answer Neil is that Wednesday fans like players that they can see are giving everything that they have irrespective of their skill level or style of play e.g. COG who works and works and works but isn't the most talented, and also Sheridan who worked and worked and worked but was arguably the most gifted ball player in England when he played.

Sheridan got boooed off the pitch on many an occasion - especially towards the end of his time at SWFC

Owlstalk Shop

Sheridan got boooed off the pitch on many an occasion - especially towards the end of his time at SWFC

I don't recall that. I can remember him being booed against Oxford but that's all. If he did get booed off the pitch then my guess it was because the fans didn't believe that he hadn't worked hard enough.

BTW, I was just trying to put forward an argument as to the type of player Wednesdayites like to see. I agree with you about Owls fans booing players - I don't agree with it one bit and believe that only pikelets boo. Read my post that you replied to - I didn't mention booing at all. You're getting a bit of a 'bee in your bonnett' about this booing thing and turning against like-minded people you silly-billy :rolleyes: .

Not read the thread but it's something I have been banging on about for ages.

Crap honest grafters get all the plaudits from our fans yet skillful players who can make a difference if given a chance are allowed no leeway for error whatsoever.

It's happening already with Pecnik and it has happened with countless players over the years.

If we had a team full of honest defenders we would be poo but sometimes I feel like that is what the fans want.

It's just stupid and frustrates the Hell out of me.

Good point mate

How do you know that the player you buy has that particular strength of character ?

Surely you have to play them and see how they get on in front of a baying, booing Wednesday home crowd ?

Good point mate

I think you are going over the top a bit with regards to the booing, however what caught my attention in both of our last 2 home games was that the crowd was flat from the start despite the good numbers. Fair enough we had lost 2 away games but our home form had been good and I expected a bit more positivity at the start of both games. Against Huddersfield we started quite well before they scored forcing a few corners and hitting the woodwork but it was like the crowd were anticipating the worst was going to happen.

To be sure of a players character you are best off signing them from Blackburn, their crowd are ahrdly supportive even though they are top of the league. I can understand their problem with Kean but save it while the match is being played, give the team some support, especially when they are around the top of the table.

I was surprised that the Birmingham fans didn't give their team more stick on Saturday evening as they were truly terrible from start to finish, maybe it wasn't so obvious as there was hardly anyone at the game.

Probably my favourite player in the last 10 or so years has been Chris Brunt who, probably wrongly at times, was singled out as lazy and not a "trier".

Many of our fans say this about Chris Brunt now although the statistics and evidence during matches tends to ruin that particular statement. Brunt can be lazy at times, but I've certainly seen worse.