Check out this list of players...

The kind of players Ive tried to list are the hard working, grafter, tough tackling types

This theead isnt to criticise any of them but to ask whether these are the 'type' of player generally preferredby Owls fans - especially in a time of struggle

Better players are genuinly preffered to worst ones.

I don't care how many miles he will run, or how long he can juggle ball on his knee, as long as he is doing the job.

I like strikers that score goals, wingers that set them, and defenders who stop us from conceding. Rest is irrelevant.

Absolute testicles.

You won't get results in this league through 'running' and '110%' or whatever else. You need players with quality, simple as. Well, ideally you need a mix, but this isn't League 1 anymore, and we won't win games through just bullying teams and out-running them, at any moment in time.

yes you need a mix, but at what %...

how many workers? how many flair players?...

remember watching notts county at s6 back in the early 70's...

early season game, we were 3rd, they were 2nd. (think the motd cameras were there)...

they had the ageing pair of don masson, and eddie kelly in central midfield (the pair of them never moved more than 5 yards from the centre circle)...

but just about all the rest of their side were (at that time) unknown workers...

their midfield was made up of young werewolves who hunted the ball down, and then passed it to the 2 experienced players in the middle who sprayed the ball all over the park...

scoreline 0-2...

Edited by dnhc

Mick Lyons

Andy Booth

Graham Hyde

Guy Branston

Chris O'Grady

Lawrie Madden

Lee Peacock

Are these the kind of players that your average Sheffield Wednesday fan prefers ?

Players who get stuck in, smash tackles in, run non stop and who give 100% ?

YEP!

All about blending the right players at the end of the day.

Probably my favourite player in the last 10 or so years has been Chris Brunt who, probably wrongly at times, was singled out as lazy and not a "trier".

In saying I appreciate the efforts of the so-called grafters that we've had.

Guest zico sterland

It is all about blend,skill with workrate .Waddle with Hyde you cant win if one doesnt have the other in support.Sadly I dont see any Waddles or Hydes on the park at the moment.

The kind of players Ive tried to list are the hard working, grafter, tough tackling types

This theead isnt to criticise any of them but to ask whether these are the 'type' of player generally preferredby Owls fans - especially in a time of struggle

was talking to a manure supporter back when we were in the premier (98/99ish)...

we were in the bottom 6, maybe bottom 4 with us coming up to a dozen or so games left...

and he said " you lot have got to get outa trouble now, if you leave it to the last 6 games of the season you will go down, as your lot are not BATTLERS"

i thought he's right, whatever happened to the spirit wilkinson's side had???

Andy Booth?

Really?

After a moderately decent first season he got worse and worse and worse. By the end of his time with us he was an absolute liability.

A moderately decent Premier League striker who wasn't afraid of gettin 'stuck in' and got a fair few goals not to mention assists ..... I'd certainly take that now - wouldn't you !?

A moderately decent Premier League striker who wasn't afraid of gettin 'stuck in' and got a fair few goals not to mention assists ..... I'd certainly take that now - wouldn't you !?

If Andy Booth is the answer to our problems, we are much worse than I thought. An almost ever present striker averaging 6 goals a season is not what we need.

Which side has received louder and more sustained criticism at it's games than Blackburn in the last eight or nine months? They were top until this weekend.

I'm not suggesting it makes no difference, but neither can it be shown to be a recipe for inevitable disaster.

sometimes without doubt it can be used as a great spur...

it depends upon the character of the individual player...

the lesser, weaker ones it will break...

will bothroyd return to play?

will he return to play stronger?

will he just think rounduns to this lot???

He got booed - so went to play in the Premiership

Same as Whelan

Yes, well I have a theory about some of our fans when it comes to midfielders i.e. "if they are "footballing types" so to speak, then they are no good if they ain't John Sheridan or Waddle etc".

sometimes without doubt it can be used as a great spur...

it depends upon the character of the individual player...

the lesser, weaker ones it will break...

will bothroyd return to play?

will he return to play stronger?

will he just think rounduns to this lot???

That's the key.

Someone of the character of David Hirst, for example, would feed off the criticism. Chris Woods used to shrivel like a salted slug at it.