Sign in to follow this  
Jon1867

Birmingham owls fans!

No but the kids are getting a bit of it which worries me. How can a gate be a goite?? They'll be going to Yorkshire bootcamp if it carries on...!

Fantastic!!

Could always teach them the Black Country alphabet:

I have a rather broad Black Country accent.

I'm moving from Sheffield to Dudley soon and am a season ticket holder on the kop - I'd definitely be up for sharing lifts!

Fantastic!!

Could always teach them the Black Country alphabet:

I have a rather broad Black Country accent.

That is actually fantastic. I think I recognise one or two of them from wandering around the Bearwood area. I used to work in Lower Gornal who have their own language based around "am". Odd. Anyhow here's one of my Aunt's poems. I try and keep myself talking reight even if I can't completely influence the kids...

http://213.175.206.16/~thurlbb/christinegoodwin.htm

That is actually fantastic. I think I recognise one or two of them from wandering around the Bearwood area. I used to work in Lower Gornal who have their own language based around "am". Odd. Anyhow here's one of my Aunt's poems. I try and keep myself talking reight even if I can't completely influence the kids...

http://213.175.206.1...tinegoodwin.htm

Black Country accent is dying unfortunately. Good to see that your kids have picked bits and pieces up however.

Have you seen TeetShirts based in Cradley Heath? They sell Black Country merchandise etc. Promoting the Black Country dialect. Love it!

Ah bin ya?

"Ow bist?", surely!

Cradley Heath, man. I lived there for 2 years. That place is the epicentre of the Black Country.

Black Country accent is dying unfortunately. Good to see that your kids have picked bits and pieces up however.

Have you seen TeetShirts based in Cradley Heath? They sell Black Country merchandise etc. Promoting the Black Country dialect. Love it!

Ah bin ya?

"Ow bist?", surely!

Cradley Heath, man. I lived there for 2 years. That place is the epicentre of the Black Country.

I'm worrying that I'll have to turn to a translator to understand my own kids...

http://www.sedgleymanor.com/dictionaries/dialect.html

That one made me laugh - the shortening of words to letters isn't too far away from Yorkshire I reckon.

Have a go at this: "Where did you put the last biscuit love", "I dunno tintintin"

And I still reckon Lower Gornal is Black Country central - it is their own language I'm convinced of it. "Bai" for am not for example. Never heard that anywhere else!

If you can do that then your as good as Black Country!

"Ow bist?", surely!

Aye, Dudley & Cradley Heath - Capital of the Black Country.

Painful as it might seem to some Yorkshire and Black Country folk, there's a lot in common there with the dialect. My gran used to call me a "daft apeth". There are also plenty of thee's and tha's on both sides of the coin.

Which reminds me of the most Yorkshire thing I ever heard. At a pub - in Wrexham - waiting for the Owls game - I put my pint to one side. A fellow Owl approached me and pointing at the pint simply said: "Is that thine?"

Painful as it might seem to some Yorkshire and Black Country folk, there's a lot in common there with the dialect. My gran used to call me a "daft apeth". There are also plenty of thee's and tha's on both sides of the coin.

Which reminds me of the most Yorkshire thing I ever heard. At a pub - in Wrexham - waiting for the Owls game - I put my pint to one side. A fellow Owl approached me and pointing at the pint simply said: "Is that thine?"

I would agree. I speak to plenty of people from Sheffield, this one girl in particular seems to think that I'm picking up on the Yorkshire dialect when in reality, there are certains words which are either the same, or quite similar.

I could listen to the Yorkshire accent all day though. Seems to come with a dry wit as well which makes it all the more appealing.

I think there's an Owl in or near Cradley Heath too, remember being on the train home from B'ham to Stourbridge one saturday last season (pronounced Starebridge in a BC accent!) and seeing a chap get off the train at Cradley with a megastore bag and the days programme peeking out of the top of it. Had a brief chat with him after the initial mutual surprise of there being another Owl 110 miles away from Sheffield but didn't ask him where he lived.

I've also met a handful when I've been in Merry Hill with my blue and white on lol

Always a good few at New Street on match days. The Wycombe game last season was amazing for that. Owls everywhere from New Street up to Sheffield even on the early train I got and the same on the way back.

I'm beginning to think that there's something you're not telling us here Liam_Baggies. A love of the Yorkshire accent. Talking to Yorkshire girls on the phone. An appreciation of the dry Yorkshire wit...

Do you spend winter Saturdays dreaming of trips up the M5, M6, A38, and M1 stopping off for a quick drink at the Rawson Spring followed by watching a glorious victory at the Northern Nou Camp?

In other words, are you a bit of an Owl in disguise???

• Agree 1

I'm beginning to think that there's something you're not telling us here Liam_Baggies. A love of the Yorkshire accent. Talking to Yorkshire girls on the phone. An appreciation of the dry Yorkshire wit...

Do you spend winter Saturdays dreaming of trips up the M5, M6, A38, and M1 stopping off for a quick drink at the Rawson Spring followed by watching a glorious victory at the Northern Nou Camp?

In other words, are you a bit of an Owl in disguise???

Meadowhall is very nice, too. So was the travellers until they shut it down.

I've mentioned on here previously, I like Wednesday, mainly due to those girls I speak too, alongside others I know in Sheffield are unfortunately Blades. That being said, and your appointment of Sir Gary kind of drew me to SWFC and I've been here since. Looking out for your results etc and at some point next year I shall be making the journey to Hillsborough to watch you. Generally like the Wednesday fans too.

SWFC even have a mention on my twitter bio...

Ha ha - fair play then! I'll confess then to the Baggies being my favourite Midlands team. Less arrogant than Villa, friendlier than Wolves and Blues and bigger than Walsall.

There's a bit of shared history too with Meggo and Big Ron managing both and a few players turning out for both- Chris Brunt, Craig Shakespeare, Imre Varadi, Ronnie Wallwork(!) David Burrows(!) And I'm sure some others who were actually talented.

Then there's the battle of Bramall Lane which is enough to give this Owl a soft spot for the Baggies.

Finally I've always enjoyed going to the Hawthorns. I've seen the Owls win a couple of times which was great. But even when we've lost I've enjoyed the games.

• Agree 1