Manchester City 1970

Another one of those what if matches. If we had won would we have survived another season in Division One? Someone once told me that the City goalkeeper was overheard shouting "C'mon Wednesday" - is that true. Were City trying to let us win but no one told Ian Bowyer? Memories please?

mancity1970-1.jpg

I was 12 and went on my own, stood on the kop. We were seriously rubbish and Man City did everything they could to let us win. It rained like buggery, Bowyer came on looking to impress as he was in the shop window, scored twice and Tony Coleman hit a screamer after carrying the ball and his belly down the wing.

I was gutted but we deserved to loose...truly awful.

On the way out we were so tightly packed in I was carried up to the top of the kop without my feet touching the floor...horrible, horrible night.

My first match ...... grown men crying ....... miserable night match & p*ssing down with rain ........ I was hooked thereafter !

Think Tony Coleman scored for Wednesday

Same here fella...was ont North with my Dad....will never forget the first sight of the pitch and the stands absolutely rammed tho when we walked up the steps to our seats ....floodlit too....the start of a lifetime obsession!! :biggrin: City took the worst penalty in history to try and help Wednesday but as has been said, no one told Ian Bowyer who came on as sub for Summerbee...he was fighting for his place and got both their goals!!!...

Never forget Tony Doyle's penalty when it was still 0-0. He was about to take the kick when their captain, Tony Book, raced from his full back position and had a quick word with him. Doyle then took the kick by simply back-passing it straight to Peter Grummitt. I doubt if it would have had enough power to have reached the back of the net.

It was a really surreal evening. City, especially in the first half, were playing it like a training session; they had the Cup Winners Cup final to play the following week and simply wanted to avoid injury. But we were truly dreadful....the old saying "couldn't string two passes together" was meant for that night. But then Summerbee got injured and Ian Bowyer came on, keen to show what he could do.

Incredible goal by Tony Coleman though. Cut in from the wing in front of the North and blasted it from miles out. Could have gone anywhere but the bugger simply arrowed into the Kop net. That made it 1-1 with about 15 to go and I thought we were going to do it....

13 yrs old Sat on front row of north got pissed wet through. (sat with father rangers fan and PIG fan brother. )

Man city couldn't have been easier on us till sub came on very embarrassing but WAWAW and you do get used to it after 50 years.

This was me Trumpyowl Libertine why were you signed in on my computer ?? Edited by Trumpyowl

Guest JohnFantham

I was also on the Kop that night, soaking wet. The City penalty was a laugh as the taker pointed th where the ball was going and consequently the penalty was saved.

Bowyer came on as sub and scored sending Wednesday down to the then 2nd Division.Sad night as I never thought we would drop out of Division 1.

Taking everything into account including the fact that the opposition did everything they could to throw the match, it was the worst performance I have ever seen from a Wednesday team. If it happened today, City would be charged with bringing the game into disrepute or even attempted match fixing.