Strangest thing you have seen at Hillsborough

Guest @DSapeyOwl

Mid to late 90's some drunk fella casually strolling diagonally across the pitch from between the North Stand and Kop direction.

*** in mouth one hand in pocket, cool as you like. The play was at the far end of the field so stewards etc didnt really spot him.

I genuinely think he just wandering home and took a wrong turn. Dressed all in denim I seem to remember, it was the greatest display of nonchalance I have ever seen.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^

It was SWFC v Burnley and i think it was live on the old ITV digital sports channel, could be wrong.

casually walked on like he was taking dog for a walk across the pitch to remonstrate with the ref............classic

Great thread this.

Pigeons. On a couple of occasions, watching pigeons at Hillsborough has been more interesting than the actual match. There was one season in particular (think it was when we went back into league one for first time) where the pigeon was just loitering around Leppings Lane penalty box North Stand side itching to get involved and eventually it did - colliding with the ball and players. It was okay I think. That pigeon showed more forward play enthusiasm than Adam Proudlock ever did.

sort of off topic but it's friday and im bored at work....

was anyone at the headingley twenty20 when jaques rodolph threw the ball in and killed a pigeon? definateley up there with the funniest things ever to happen on a sports field... it went barmy after that too...

Some kid getting a bit carried away and doing a solo pitch invasion at the Leppings Lane end - can't remember who it was exactly, maybe Hull or Barnsley or some other club with a chip on their shoulder.

Anyhow, for one reason or another the stewards were asleep at the switch, and let this kid parade up and down the North Stand touchline giving the Owls fans the finger. So some bloke in the stand decided to deal with matters himself and nonchalantly got up out of his seat, climbed over the hoardings and laid him flat out on the turf. :biggrin:

That got almost as big a cheer as when Paul Alcock took a dive...

sort of off topic but it's friday and im bored at work....

was anyone at the headingley twenty20 when jaques rodolph threw the ball in and killed a pigeon? definateley up there with the funniest things ever to happen on a sports field... it went barmy after that too...

You'd be pretty cheesed off if someone had just hit you with a cricket ball and killed you. You'd be livid!

Graham Poll.

Owls vs United, the one where Steve Watson scored. 92mins, Poll decided the corner flag was defective, wanted it replaced and nobody could find the spare. 5 mins later, one arrived, it got stuck in the ground, and Poll promptly blew the whistle for full time.

Couldn't even afford spare corner flags in those days.

Nowt to do with Wednesday, but I once saw a cat fall into a bloke's dinner off a street lamp outside a restaurant in France. Went a good 15ft.

That was against city in the FA Cup. It was on a sunday and it was dark at the time

not inside hillsborough but remember a leicester fan chasing me and my dad up tailtone road with an exhaust pipe for no apparent reason... that was wierd.

Reminded me. After we got relegated from the prem with the 4-0 mauling of Leicester I left by the Lep end of the north and their buses were already lined up. On the top floor of a double decker some 10 year old was giving it the big un and banging on the window...which promptly fell out. Minor miracle no one was under it but the kids face was priceless. Full on 'ooooohhhhhhhh crrrrrraaaaaaaapppppppppp'

Strangest thing - probably because I was just a nipper - but I remember the first time I saw cushions being thrown on to the pitch from the North Stand. My dad and I had season tickets in the 60s in the North, low down and near the west end.

Wednesday must have been going through a bad spell - and with about 5 mins to go people started hurling the cushions (wooden seats in those day and you could buy a cushion for 3d) on to the pitch.

Remember clearly that Tony Kay came to the side to take a throw in. Someone called out, 'Pull yer socks up Kay' and without looking at the voice, he leant down and hitched up both socks! Brilliant gesture................ then a cushion flew just past his head.

Good times :biggrin: :biggrin:

Guest @DSapeyOwl

Elliot Ward bicycle kicks.

He put in a range finder in a match for Coventry that skimmed our bar the season before, then fired in a beauty for Donkey Rovers from an identical set piece proving that it was no fluke.

He looked about as mobile as Darren Purse but it was an extraordinary bit of skill from a Central Defender.

I believe when he did this he twanged his groin in the process! Hope it hurt!

Guest WednesdayGibbo

I remember that. Didn't someone take a swing at the linesman aswell, and someone else tried attacking Stan Ternant?

I think it was the first 5:30 kick off ever on a Saturday and it was on ITV digital too.. there was a lot of people saying it will never work because everyone will be too drunk and they were right, we had 3 people wander on to the pitch 1 had a pop at the linesman and 1 at a player and I saw someone fast asleep on the steps in the north stand. There was a lot of bad press in the papers after this, both slating us as a club and the ridiculous kick off times.

I think it was the first 5:30 kick off ever on a Saturday and it was on ITV digital too.. there was a lot of people saying it will never work because everyone will be too drunk and they were right, we had 3 people wander on to the pitch 1 had a pop at the linesman and 1 at a player and I saw someone fast asleep on the steps in the north stand. There was a lot of bad press in the papers after this, both slating us as a club and the ridiculous kick off times.

Even stranger in that match; I think one of our players might have got a tackle in on Glen Little!

Guest WednesdayGibbo

Even stranger in that match; I think one of our players might have got a tackle in on Glen Little!

Are you sure it wasn't a fan who run on lol