Wayne Jacobs

Is apparently behind the failed new opening of a school which was to be located in Bradford's shop(!)

http://www.guardian....-fiasco-lessons

I wondered what people's memories of him as an Owl were? To be honest I don't remember him playing too often - but I do recall "Wednesday reject" chants with him playing for Hull I think sometime in the early 1990s.

Apparently he was a very tough/hard character. Some would say he was crackers.

Haha, yes the kid never backed down, and had somewhat of a reputation,

Last I heard from old school mates was that he'd found religion,

Another bit of trivia, whilst we where at beaverhill, lawrie madden's wife was a teacher there.

Guest GodsanOwl

I went to school with him, he was a decent player at that level,

He was the same age as Carl bradshaw but different schools, I think they where both on Wednesdays books as schoolboys, but Carl had by far the better career,

You know you're poo poo when someone posts that Carl Bradshaw had a better career!

Apparently he was a very tough/hard character. Some would say he was crackers.

Boooooooooooooooo

Haha, yes the kid never backed down, and had somewhat of a reputation,

Last I heard from old school mates was that he'd found religion,

Another bit of trivia, whilst we where at beaverhill, lawrie madden's wife was a teacher there.

And er Woooooooooooooooooooosh

I'm sure i remembered he came through our ranks at the same time as Gavin Oliver but looking at the wiki leak he was a bit later :wacko:

Me and a mate were bored one Sunday in the late 80's or early 90's so decided to go to any football game we could find.

The closest was Stoke v Hull so i drove us in my old Fiesta to the Victoria Ground, Stoke's old ground.

We decided to sit with the away fans but as far as i remember it was a drab 0-0.

The only interesting bit was that Wayne Jacobs was in the Hull team and halfway through the 2nd half Hull made a sub, a lad in front of us turned round and asked "who's just come on?"

My mate panicked a bit and just looked across at me so not knowing what to say "i just burst out laughing" then said "I'm not sure mate"

They must have known we were outsiders from our accents but no different from Owls fans from other parts of the country watching us i guess.

Wayne Jacobs had a decent game.

He also has a charity set up to help disadvantaged kids "One in a Million" which I think was behind the free school. I wish I could look back and say that I had a good career as a professional footballer playing in the Premier league like Wayne.

Of course like MAL states you get one or two players that can play 500 plus games and not be good look at the likes of Beckham, Gerrard and Lampard for example.

Edited by Ronnie Starling

Yeah

I used to like watching Wayne when he pulled the strings.

Alongside the likes of the Beckham's, Gerrard's and Lampad's of his day.

Loved watching him for Liverpool, their best player by a mile.

I am not slagging him off.

The OP asked for people's memories of him.

I gave mine.

To make the above statement is ridiculous.

You could say that about a few players Torry.

Doesn't mean they were good.

Depends on your definition of 'good'?

Certainly good enough to be a professional footballer for many years, i wouldn't have thought he had fluked it?

There are many kinds of players through the leagues, some are flair players, some are no nonsense tough tackling hoofers, others go about their game with tenacity and endevour.

You need a blend of this in most teams.

So to play for the teams in his positon, mainly left back, and be first choice, the managers obviously thought him good enough.

There are many players at lower level football who are deemed 'good' but never make it.

Wayne Jacobs did.

UTO!