For anyone who doesn't live in Sheffield, why are you a fan?

Guest Yorkshirecath

Guest Swedish Owl

My father started supporting the team in the 70´s... and i did not have much choice growing up! =)

Been coming for many years with my dad now, we get to atleast one a year, usually two!

Listen to every game on the radio... cant explain it really, but after my first game when i was 13 i was in love and have been ever since!

Born and bred in Barnsley but my dad and his side of the family are from Sheffield and all Wednesday so followed suit. In our family it is a family thing: I support them cos my dad does and my kids do cos I do. Simple as.

I always get asked 'why do you support Wednesday if you're from Barnsley' and the reply is simple 'I support Wednesday co my dad does and his dad did, it's a family thing I had no option'. I wouldnt have it any other way.

"Wednesday til I die"

All the blokes in our family have been Owls fans for generations so I started going when it was deemed the right time....relegation night 1969/70 and that was it !! Moved down to S Wales nearly 9 years ago now and still watch em whenever I can... have 'converted' a fair few so we are now everyones second favourite side down here!!! :biggrin:

Guest Paulos_Medication

This thread works brilliantly if you sing every single post to the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme.

Brilliant. This is why I love owlstalk

My dad was born on the Wybourne and then moved to the then new Parsons cross estate in the 1940's. He used to talk about seeing Wednesday players in the local chippies when they earned about 7 quid a week just after the war :) For me the Owls are in the blood, even though I was born and still live in Rotherham.

S'easy. Born in Sheffield, spent most of my early years up the road from Hillsborough. Went to Wisewood Junior/Comp School, remember being dragged around the shops at Hillsborough food shopping with my mum, 2p bus fares and the Sheffield show.

Live in the States now, left the UK over 20 years ago.

Guest Snowy Owl

Born and live in Lincolnshire. As a 7 year old, my Dad offered to take me to a First Division game. We checked all the grounds we could reasonably get to. I chose Hillsborough, as Wednesday were playing West Ham and I really wanted to see Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst, Martin Peters etc. West Ham won and I've been 'Wednesday' ever since. Guess I was chosen that day, I just fell in love with the place and all the fans. Converted a few more over the years. WAWAW.

First post.

Hello everyone . . .

Guest tha_knows

Born and bred a wednesdayite, all the fanily are, live in whitby now but in between worked and lived all over the place. It doesn't change anything.

I may move abroad again in next few years BUT I will always follow Wednesday and listen to matches whenever I can connect to anything from anything from anywhere...

What do you think of Whitby mate? I have family from there, 2 of my uncles live on Upgang Lane which is a really nice street, they usually go drinkin in the Dolphin and The Fishermens Club and sometimes the George I think its called near the bus terminus?

Born Swede and in the autum of 1969 Swedish Televsion started showing english football on saturdays. Must young boys started suporting Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal or Stoke who were a top team then, but not me. I got fascinated by the name Wednesday, wrote to the tv-station and they served me the history of Wednesday and the adress to the club and supporters club. I still have my first membership card in the supporters club. The first live game was at the Den against Millvall 1971. Latest was the Sheffield derby. Best game so far when we won the League cup final.

See-ing we have one or two from Cornwall, I'd just like to mention my father lives at St Ives, Penzance. I think he's about 75 now, we haven't been in contact for many years, he did a runner when I was young, I briefly met him at my grandmother's funeral about 30 years ago, we only had a couple of minutes together, but all he talked about was Wednesday. I don't remember much about when he lived with us, my mother says he was Wednesday mad, and always took me to games when I was young.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

as a kid a bus (sometimes two) went from our village to hillsborough every home game...

it was as easy to see The Wednesday as it was any of the smaller clubs in the area...

and at the time we were the only first division side around...

whilst i think roterham and the pigs were division 2...

and donny and the dingles were 4 div...

Born and live in Lincolnshire. As a 7 year old, my Dad offered to take me to a First Division game. We checked all the grounds we could reasonably get to. I chose Hillsborough, as Wednesday were playing West Ham and I really wanted to see Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst, Martin Peters etc. West Ham won and I've been 'Wednesday' ever since. Guess I was chosen that day, I just fell in love with the place and all the fans. Converted a few more over the years. WAWAW.

First post.

Hello everyone . . .

ello mate and welcome

Born in Sheffield, moved to Canada, back to Sheffield Dad to me to first Match 1974.

Went to Uni in Hull 1981 - moved to Thornton Heath when finished, a few minutes from bloody Selhurst Park.

Moved to Lincolnshire in the East Midlands in 1998 and now can't move for Owls they are everywhere!

Born in Chessie but brought up in the south (Cambridge/MK), dad hated football, grandad used to take me to see Chessie whenever we visited until I was old enough to realise they were pretty poor. Was told I could go to a 'proper' football match for my birthday (10th?) so I looked through the newspaper and chose to see Terry Curran-era Wednesday v Grimsby. F'in loved it, the atmosphere, the massive open Kop, never looked back.

Never lived in Sheffield. Mum is a local girl and use to come up once every couple of months to see grandparents etc. At a young age sheffield always held a somewhat mystical existence in my mind. Wednesday just seemed to appeared in my life, don't know how, don't know when. Sometime between 6/7 years old. It was probably cemented when my best mate at the time also supported them. Attended first match in in 1991, and my affection truly became apparent after being tricked by my dad into thinking I was attending my aunts birthday on the day the fa cup final 1st leg 1993, only to find out that my mates dad had got 3 tickets for us due to his connections with Sanderson....

I was born in Sheffield (Pitsmoor) raised in Darnall area. My Dad started taking me to the reserves when I was right young. Moved onto first games as I got older. There was never any other consideration of following another club. Started travelling overseas for work when I was 22 - used to be away for 5 and 6 weeks at a time - so spent a lot of the football season out of the country. Left to live in Dubai in 1988 but followed Wednesday as much as possible. Imagine what it was like with no internet, no Owlstalk, no radio coverage etc.