For anyone who doesn't live in Sheffield, why are you a fan?

Guest Yorkshirecath

Raised in Maltby and still live here 48 years on.

Dad was not really a football fan, he would watch England and that was about it.

My olders cousins would take me to millmor when I was a young un.

As I got older I would go to various local grounds with my mates and their dads.

Dad became mates with Mick Jones (Leeds Utd) he used to get all sorts for me

signed shirts etc, I gave them to a few mates who were keen Leeds fans.

Then one day one of my mates at school said his cousin could not make the match at Hillsborough the following Saturday,

and would I fancy it ?

Well I walked in and was gob smacked, there was more passion than I had seen at any ground I had been to.

that was it I was hooked, the rest as they say is history

Chesterfield fan as a young un ........ Watched Danny Wilson run spireites midfield when he was a youngster. A brilliant player for Chesterfield in the days of Alan Birch, Phil Bonnyman, etc. Remember Wednesday and united coming to Saltergate ...... exciting times !!

Then it got to the point Chesterfield were in the old 4th Division and basically going nowhere. I was 20 and wasting money watching a terrible team.

The problem was football is in your blood ...... One Sunday trawling through the Sunday paper Imre Varadi was photographed saluting his goal against Newcastle in front of a huge open kop without a roof. Wednesday were flying high!! It was though that picture sold football to me and sent me off into a direction I might never have taken. Thank god I followed this route. The Owls have given me some of the best moments of my life. It was a great decision I made that weekend.

Do I feel guilty?? Yes a little !! Do I regret it ?? Definitely not !!!

Guest NottsOwl12

Dad was born in Great Hucklow near Buxton and his dad took him to matches from about 7, I've lived in Nottingham my whole life so far, but should be moving to Sheffield next year for Uni (purely academic reasons of course lol )

I was born in Norwich but was brought up a wednesdayite. I still have a picture of me with my dad when I was about 5 years old in my 'me and my dad support Sheffield Wednesday t-shirt' My great grandad on my father's side moved to Sheffield from Ireland in the 1920s and him and his brothers immediately settled on Wednesday. Each generation was brought up to support wednesday. I have some complete seasons of match programmes from the mid 60s. Whenever I get to make a trip to Hillsborough I think of the four generations who have supported the owls. My fathers mother was from a family of united fans and she remains a united fan herself - she was born in a pub just down the road from Bramall Lane. My mothers parents are both from families which had lived in sheffield since before the teams existed. My nannan is a non-practicing wednesdayite these days and my grandad is a blade. My first game was 5-1 win against Wimbledon 99/00 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrg_G_O8lfM

Born and bred in Tipperary. Played Football Manager on my Commodore 16 when I about 10 and won the FA Cup with a certain Sheff W. Only found out what the W stood for about a year later when I got my first Panini album. Have followed them ever since despite the constant 'who' s and 'why' s

Guest Big Guns

I was born in Norwich but was brought up a wednesdayite. I still have a picture of me with my dad when I was about 5 years old in my 'me and my dad support Sheffield Wednesday t-shirt' My great grandad on my father's side moved to Sheffield from Ireland in the 1920s and him and his brothers immediately settled on Wednesday. Each generation was brought up to support wednesday. I have some complete seasons of match programmes from the mid 60s. Whenever I get to make a trip to Hillsborough I think of the four generations who have supported the owls. My fathers mother was from a family of united fans and she remains a united fan herself - she was born in a pub just down the road from Bramall Lane. My mothers parents are both from families which had lived in sheffield since before the teams existed. My nannan is a non-practicing wednesdayite these days and my grandad is a blade. My first game was 5-1 win against Wimbledon 99/00 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrg_G_O8lfM

I know some one called paddy and he's a norwich fan

Nowt to do with owt just saying ..

I was born in Wath-upon-Dearne to give it its posh name, my much older cousin took me to my first game in the mid fiftes, I have been hooked ever since, I introduced my son and daughter to Hillsborough early on in their lives and they are both now big fans, just bought my grandson his first season ticket so he will more than likely become addicted too .

i just love meeting up with my kids and going to games together !

I am from bradford and lived here all my life, when I was six i started getting into football and my mum once took me to a car boot sale and I saw there were a few football shirts for sale and I was immediately drawn to the Sheffield Wednesday shirt and my mum bought it for me for a couple of quid and I have been hooked for the last 23 years!

I started supporting Wednesday on a total whim. Heard the name on the radio and told my Dad that's who I supported. He is a Forest fan, as is my brother, but he supported the decision and took me to Owls v Forest in 1991 (2-0 Hirst scored twice).

Have laughed at how much agony this has caused me since. Mind you, being a Forest fan wouldn't have been much different. Except maybe when we lost 4-1 and 7-1 to them in one season and me and my old man were at both games.

I live in the Peak District, Sheffield is the nearest city, and Hillsborough was the first football ground I ever saw.

I have connections to other places too, but fell in love with Wednesday.

I live in the Peak District, Sheffield is the nearest city, and Hillsborough was the first football ground I ever saw.

I have connections to other places too, but fell in love with Wednesday.

Born in Hull. Me dad was, is, a City fan so I got dragged to boothferry park most Saturdays. Then he says he'll take us to an away game at a decent ground. Wednesday won 5-1 and Hirst got four. I think Paul Williams got the other but wouldn't swear to it. Never looked back. Took some slavver when Hull got promoted in 2008 and everyone forgot they supported Liverpool/Man Utd/Tottenham and claimed to have been season pass holders since the mid 90's. I didn't care though, I wasn't about to switch allegiance just because of abject misery since about 1996-97 (Underrated side that year. Hard to beat.). You don't choose to support Wednesday. Wednesday chooses you.

Lived in Penistone until I was 18. Dad and Grandad both Owls so went regularly until then. Moved away to Birmingham for uni in 1993 and have been 3-4 times a year ever since. Now have two young lads who I'm training to be Owls (hopefully). Certainly don't won't their Birmingham City supporting relatives getting their hands on them...